1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Simple info on logo filetype

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by Corax, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Corax

Corax Read my blog you bastards.

Not formally, but I'm very familiar with things like the rule of thirds, colour theory. the golden ratio, Fibonacci spirals etc. I went through a period of lusting after a DSLR, and I have a passing interest in things like mathematical sequences too, which I think is tangentially relevant.

I'm either a renaissance man, or a jack of all trades master of none - take your pick :D

BigTom likes this.
  2. Corax

I love this one:

[​IMG]

The typeface echoing the way the point of the chilli is styled really works for me. Although I'd be nudging the text up a bit I think.

I almost like this one too:

[​IMG]
    I say almost because the photo-style chilli doesn't match the rest of it IMO. I do love the way the dot of the second i doubles as the point of an exclamation mark though. Or it would if it was lined up properly anyway. I like the flamey fade of the red text too.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  3. Corax

Okay, amateur-hour begging for help time.

Through the magic of Inkscape (which is much more intuitive than I remember) I've put this together - as an experiment/start - when not chopping garlic and scotch bonnets:

[​IMG]
    The problem I've got is that the polygons that make up the outer tips aren't being recognised by any of the filters in the same way as the other two (central tip, red bit) and I have no idea why.

If I filter to give shadows only you get this, which shows the difference more clearly:

[​IMG]
    So there's definitely something going on here - but I don't know what.

I'm only working with a single layer, so it's not something like that.

Any ideas? Google has not been my friend on this occasion.

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Looks like a dodgy piece of Man Utd merchandise (sorry!) and the textured pattern is both fiddly, unnecessary and likely to cause problems further down the line. I think something with a chilli and a simple typeface would work better.

5. Corax

Like I said - it's just one experiment :) It's definitely a vast improvement on the shield anyway, IMO. The texture was just one I had given a go - not settled on it at all. I'd probably prefer some sort of bevel. I'll give the chilli & text combo a go at some point - but at the moment I'm not really happy with the working brandname.

Any ideas re the problem above? I'd like to fix it for the sake of learning even if I don't use it.

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

No to bevels! Please!

7. Corax

Too late... :D

Edit: Actually, you're right. Pic removed. It's as though you know what you're talking about or something. :hmm:

8. Corax

A habenero map of this here East Anglia?

[​IMG]
    I've got to admit, I don't hate this one.

So I thoroughly look forward to explanations as to why it's also utter shit. :( :D

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's completely confusing and will look like a weird spidery blob when scaled down to web size. Just think simple. Really fucking simple. If you want a chilli in the thing, then use a chilli and stick some words next to it.

BigTom likes this.
  10. Corax

It's not going on the web... :confused:

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

What happens if your sauce proves popular? Think ahead, man!

12. Corax

Bloody hell mate, I've not even sold one jar yet! :D I'm hardly planning to take on Kraft. Levi Roots had dreads and a guitar (and a made-up origin story) so he doesn't count.

But... If I did ever need to scale it down to thumbnail size, would a filled in version not work?

13. Corax

Well, like it or loathe it, one day's learnin' to go from this:
    [​IMG]

to this:
    [​IMG]
    ...is alright I reckon. :)

Now I really ought to do something else. Like have a cup of tea and go to sleep.

14. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

I hope it tastes better than it looks :D

editor likes this.
  15. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Here's an idea using a font (Chiller) that hints at chilli shapes but doesn't go over the top with effects.

iceni heat.png

moon and fishfinger like this.
  16. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

apologies for non-constructive criticism but that is awful. I can't see a chilli in it and I will never recognise the county map, I wonder if anyone else from east anglia would either. It looks terrible, spidery lines drawn about with no apparent reason. I would just scrap this one as a bad idea and not try to improve on it tbh. It has emotional hooks for you because you see your home in it but that won't be true for others who will simply have no idea what that is.

Corax likes this.
  17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

OK - this is shit because I did it in about 3 mins but at least it conveys some clear info about the product and is recognisably something!

shit.jpg

Corax likes this.
  18. Corax

Too late, I've been beavering away this morning.

I've actually run it past two people who instantly recognised it as East Anglia.

[​IMG]

I'm not saying I'll ignore the expert advice I'm grateful for on here and stick with it, but I honestly don't think that looks awful.

But... I'm being told by professionals to drop it, so maybe I'll have to bite the bullet and do so. I'm quite happy with the typeface and colouring of the i's & j's anyway. An ongoing process I guess....

I expect I'll end up keeping the rest of the design and replacing the chilli/map with a picture of a chilli. Just like I was repeatedly fucking told to many hours ago. :facepalm:

Nothing wasted though - I can do things with Inkscape and GIMP that I couldn't do before.

Don't get me wrong, I am listening - but it's fucking hard to let go of an idea isn't it?!

BigTom likes this.
  19. Corax

What's really scary is that from what I've seen, there are people out there not massively better than my amateurish level that are (trying to) earn a living out of this sort of thing. :eek: :hmm:

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Looks more like warped version of Cyprus to me.

21. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

I would drop the east anglia map and replace it with a chilli and make the Iceni Heat text bigger to fill the space left by the different shape. People are going to glance at it and you have a moment to tell them - visually - what your product is. A clear chilli does that without any doubt, and then anyone interested by a hot sauce will take the time to find out more. I would notice an image I have no idea what it's about and the text "medium" which doesn't tell me this is a hot sauce. I would need a moment I think to read "bajan hot sauce" or "Iceni Heat" and that might not happen.

I don't like t in that font but I do think the i and j look good.

22. Corax

Bastards. :D

Okay, I have to drop the map, dammit. Once I've stopped sulking my next job is to design a chilli then. I really really really don't want it to just be 'a chilli' - I want something distinctive. And I want to do it myself, because I'm learning and enjoying the process. :)

I'm a massive fan of logos that are sort of visual puns, ones that are just a bit clever. FedEx is the classic example IIUC:

[​IMG]
    But there are loads out there:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love that stuff. :cool:

Unfortunately though, these are the career pinnacle works of people that have done things like going to design school, getting a job in design, learning all about design and designing for a living. You know... Designers.

So I may have to set my sights a little lower lol. I still want to aim for something distinctive though - I think that's achievable with enough effort.

23. Corax

Some sort of chilli/flame idea maybe? A single flame, but green at the base? Not sure on the orientation if I did manage it. Might be within my capabilities, given enough tutorial reading/watching.

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

As it's a physical product, you should be able to recognise what it is at a glance, and the branding should be sympathetic to that end.

Corax and BigTom like this.
  25. Corax

Yeah, I understand and agree with your point. Someone just glancing around the market has to instantly think "Ooh! Chillies!"

26. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Boudiccas Brew.png

Corax likes this.
  27. Corax

That's fantastic. :cool:

For all sorts of boring reasons to do with recovery though, this has to be something I do myself, now I've set my mind to it. I just wish I'd set my mind to doing what you've put together - I love it.

What's the typeface btw?

BigTom likes this.
  28. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

As I mentioned above - it's called Chiller.

29. Corax

BTW: regarding background colour - the sauce is quite a striking yellow and I don't want to detract from that. I was erring towards white partly because of that. Just as importantly though, they'll be printed on a bog-standard HP 8600 office printer, so quality won't be up to print-shop standards.

30. Corax

So you did - sorry.