Signing off: question

Discussion in 'benefits and housing' started by Orang Utan, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

I have an 18 hour a week job starting at the end of next week
    I sign on next Tuesday.
    Should I tell them I've got a job on Tuesday, or wait til I've got my dole on Friday, then tell them by email or phone?

2. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Why would it make a difference?

3. Orang Utan

They might stop my dole if I tell them before I actually start work. And that will not do.

Rutita1 likes this.
  4. Glitter

Glitter Goddess of rock!

JSA or UC? If it’s JSA you need to sign on Tuesday then you can fill out an ES40 up until the day you start work. You’ll get the payment up until Tuesday as normal then you’ll get the remainder.

If it’s UC ring when you start.

5. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

Sign off on Tuesday . Do not tell them until then. You can call them and arrange to go in to fill in the necessary forms. They will pay you up until the Tuesday.

6. Orang Utan

I have an appointment to go in though. I'm worried that they will instantly sign me off, so I won't get my dole on the Friday.

7. Rutita1

If you sign off on Tuesday you will be paid up until Tuesday. Also see my edit.

8. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Sparkly cat whisperer

Wait till you start your job :)

Orang Utan likes this.
  9. Orang Utan

that's what i'm worried about. they need to pay me up until the day I start, not til the Tuesday

Celyn likes this.
  10. Orang Utan

It's JSA, and as i said, I should get paid up until the Friday, not the Tuesday

11. Rutita1

Eh? When do you start? Sorry I missed that I thought you were starting on Monday.

If you start on Friday, sign off on Friday.

If you start on Saturday..sign off next Monday etc.

tim likes this.
  12. Glitter

Glitter Goddess of rock!

You don’t. You get paid until the day you sign, it just arrives three days later.

Then when you sign off you will get a seperate payment up to and including the day before you start work.

Pickman's model likes this.
  13. tim

tim Well-Known Member

Don't tell them until you've spent your first day doing whatever you have been employed to do.

14. Orang Utan

I'm starting on Saturday, sort of, that's the date of my induction, anyway.
    I sign on every second Tuesday, get paid the following Friday. I don't want to lose my dole payment that's coming up this Friday and I'm worried that if I tell them, my final payment will be reduced. I don't trust them.

15. Rutita1

Don't tell them anything. Sign off next Monday once you've actually started work. Let them think you are still actively job seeking.

Orang Utan likes this.
  16. Glitter

Glitter Goddess of rock!

You won’t. If you sign on Tuesdays the payment you receive on Fridays is up to and including the Tuesday. If you start work Saturday you’ll get an additional payment for the last three days but that probs won’t get done until the Monday.

Orang Utan likes this.
  17. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

Send your ES40 off that day then. You can tell them on tuesday and say you are still willing to take any temporary work in the meanwhile to cover yourself, or you can just not tell them.

18. Glitter

Glitter Goddess of rock!

So you’d get that Thursday at the earliest.

Orang Utan likes this.
  19. Orang Utan

ES40? don't think they have these any more. I hope/think I can just call them

20. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

When I asked them about this the other day they said I'd get paid up to the day before starting the job whenever I told them

If you believe them of course

21. Pickman's model

Pickman's model One star in sight

Haven't you been on the rock long enough to get some sort of back to work bonus?

ddraig likes this.
  22. Glitter

Glitter Goddess of rock!

You’d be better off signing an ES40 in the JC when you sign on Tuesday. I’m pretty certain you can’t do it on the phone but even if you can I wouldn’t trust it tbh.

JC’s are pretty quick at actioning sign offs because they’re targeted on them. Benefit centres (the folk on the phones) don’t give a shit. They won’t be able to do it until after you’ve started, so the following Monday, but if you want your money that’s the most straightforward way.

23. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

Yeah, try getting some clothes or extra run on or whatever eligible for

24. Pickman's model

25. Orang Utan

don't think so, think that applies to housing benefits

26. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

They even asked if I needed any help with interview clothes last week and not been signing that long

Orang Utan and Pickman's model like this.
  27. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

I hadn't got as far as actually reading mine to see what you do. You're right, it's just ring them. Do it on Monday.

Rutita1 and Orang Utan like this.
  28. Pickman's model

No, i got £100 if memory serves when I started work and came off the dhole. See my entitledto link

ddraig likes this.
  29. Orang Utan

thanks, but I don't qualify for owt. oh well.

30. Glitter

Glitter Goddess of rock!

If you ask for it you’ll get clothes and probs a bit of travel too. You have to ask though.

Dunno what Leeds do but GMT do a fabulous card where you get all the buses and trams free for a month and for £25 a month for the following 3 months. Won’t hurt to ask will it?

BigTom, ddraig and Orang Utan like this.
  31. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

In Leeds (and surrounding areas) you can get a free bike, city connect is the scheme name, ou of you are interested and can't find it from that (or anyone else of course) let me know and I'll find the info at work tomorrow.

I think every jcp offers some free travel schemes, you get a month bus pass round here i think. Might be a week but i think it's a month.

Orang Utan likes this.