Sierra Leone: Elections 2018

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by Idris2002, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Idris2002

Idris2002 Christmas eve, you know?

I have to admit I'd taken my eye off this one. But the fourth elections since the civil war are due to be held in Sierra Leone tomorrow:

Polling day in Sierra Leone tomorrow – APC fighting for survival

That's a very partisan account in the link. My perception of Prez Koroma - who isn't running this time - is that he's been all right as African presidents go. But he has his detractors as that story makes clear. I also heard that he'd tried to do something about corruption, but got such furious pushback from his own party that he was forced to drop that one.

It was a good bit of news the last time around, when there was no serious violence in the first post-war election held without external association. Let's see if they can do it a second time.

dylanredefined likes this.
  2. Idris2002

This is going to get interesting (but in a peaceful way, hopefully). The APC and SLPP are the Fianna Fail and Fine Gael of Sierra Leone - they hate each other even though there's not much ideological difference between them. The APC are based on the northern Temne people, the SLPP on the southern Mende - but there's always been groups that acted as the "swing constituencies" between the two. Looks like that's going to be even more crucial this time.

3. Idris2002

4. Idris2002

The opposition candidate won, but had to be sworn in in secret:

Sierra Leone’s Opposition Leader Is Sworn In as President

There's been some violence, but not enough to justify (as far as I can tell) to slake the vampire bloodlust of western reporters in Africa, who aren't happy unless a civil war is either underway or looming.

5. Idris2002