Siberia starts to thaw...

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by Matt S, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Matt S

Matt S Well-Known Member

2. camouflage

camouflage "marginalia".

Bah, world's always doomed. I stopped worrying about this sort of thing once I realised it's only ourselves we're harming. Change is normal.

Actually studies show that evolution thrives in an unstable ecosystem, I guess it's the same logic as the Japanese word for crisis also being the word for opportunity.

3. Matt S

Matt S Well-Known Member

>>Actually studies show that evolution thrives in an unstable ecosystem, I guess it's the same logic as the Japanese word for crisis also being the word for opportunity.>>

Tell that to millions of bangladeshis who wont have a home in a couple of
    decades time, or the millions of people living in areas of Africa which will finally be unable to grow *anything*.

Matt

4. aurora green

aurora green Tectonic

I find myself permanently in such a state these days.
    I wonder how much worse things have to become before the world wakes up and finally takes action.
    I'm aghast at the short term selfish attitude taken by most people. We should all be demanding action from governments right now, whilst at the same time, taking responsibility for our own environmentally damaging actions.

5. pbman

pbman (mo-lone lah-veh)

6. slaar

slaar New Member

That's my thoughts too. You know in the last ice age the whole of southern England was Permafrost, and most of northern England was under full-on glaciers? Change is :cool:

7. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

As I understand it the North-West Passage is already melted half to fuck. These days Amundsen could probably have waterskied through.

8. pbman

pbman (mo-lone lah-veh)

lol The earth has been cooling the last 10-20 years.

Anyways, try some real sience instead of the sky is falling crap.

Cooler Heads Coalition
    January 08, 2003

Antarctic Ice Sheet not in Danger from Global Warming

Fears that the Western Antarctic ice sheet (WAIS) is experiencing accelerated declines due to global warming are unfounded, according to a new study in the Jan. 3 issue of Science. A team of scientists, led by John O. Stone with the Quaternary Research Center and Department of Earth and Space Sciences at the University of Washington, found that deglaciation of the WAIS began at least 10,000 years ago and that the rate of melting has remained constant until the present time.

http://www.globalwarming.org/article.php?uid=199

http://www.70south.com/news/1101267300/index_html

Antaritica doesn't have any trouble.

9. DrRingDing

DrRingDing 'anti-human wanker'

pbboy, what would it take for you to believe that petroleum comsuption is one of the major causes of global warming?

10. pbman

pbman (mo-lone lah-veh)

Proof.

What makes you beleve that it has any effect?

The scientific evidence is well presented with numerous graphs and references, but more can be said. The climate has never been constant -- always either warming or cooling on all time scales (year-to year, decadal, millennial, and over millions of years) -independent of any human influence. While the observed pre-1940 warming is real and mostly natural (a recovery from the preceding Little Ice Age that terminated around 1850), the cooling from 1940 to 1975 is certainly not a greenhouse effect. The warming data reported during the past 25 years from surface stations (almost all of them on land) are likely contaminated by urban effects; we don't see such warming in the atmospheric record of weather balloons or from weather satellites that cover the whole globe (including the 70% of oceans) on a regular basis. The most we can assign to human greenhouse effects would lead to a temperature rise by 2100 of a measly 0.8 degrees C.

http://www.globalwarming.org/article.php?uid=871

And on top of that none of your sky is falling allarmest even begin to address the natural changes in climate.

Hell they don't even know what is "normal" for the northwest passage........

11. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

Well, they do, as it goes, seeing as there have been people living there for a very long time indeed. (The only natural resources there are fish, so they were never moved out and onto a reservation.)

12. aurora green

aurora green Tectonic

13. pbman

pbman (mo-lone lah-veh)

Since the last little ice age of 1600?

ROFLMAO

So you really deny the recent little ice age?

http://www2.sunysuffolk.edu/mandias/lia/little_ice_age.html

No one else does.

14. pbman

pbman (mo-lone lah-veh)

lol

Stop your cracking me up.

Fred singer invented the concept of co2 possible causing global warming back in the 60's and has been studing it ever since.

He is the worlds foremost expert.

15. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

Er, yes. Why would you not think that people were there then? You know, Inuit people, live among snow and ice, that sot of thing.

16. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

Funnily enough, pbman has now responded to a post about Siberia with some observations on Antarctica, and a post on the Arctic with a post about Western Europe. Some geography lessons required here, I think.

17. pbman

pbman (mo-lone lah-veh)

Good point read the viking records as well then, when they lived in greenland, when it was much greener, back before the little ice age in eurpoe killed them off..........

18. aurora green

aurora green Tectonic

That would be the same Fred Singer who supported the tobacco industry?
    evidence of his corruption here

Actually, it's you whose cracking me up.

19. pbman

pbman (mo-lone lah-veh)

No your sky is falling alarmest forget to mention that the antartic is expanding.

As expected.

20. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

I'm afraid that's not what finished off the Viking settlements in Greenland.

21. Derian

Derian New Member

Recommended reading:

"The Carbon War. Dispatches from the End of the Oil Century" By Jeremy Leggett.

22. pbman

pbman (mo-lone lah-veh)

Thats a pathtic attempt at a smear.

What a surprise.

AT least try and use a dodgy link. :rolleyes:

23. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

Which is it?

24. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

Incidentally your Latin tagline is still illiterate.

25. pbman

pbman (mo-lone lah-veh)

REad one of these by fred singer then.

Global Effects of Environmental Pollution (Reidel, 1970)
    Manned Laboratories in Space (Reidel, 1970)
    Is There an Optimum Level of Population? (McGraw-Hill, 1971)
    The Changing Global Environment (Reidel, 1975)
    Arid Zone Development (Ballinger, 1977)
    Economic Effects of Demographic Changes (Joint Economic Committee, U.S. Congress, 1977)
    Cost-Benefit Analysis in Environmental Decisionmaking (Mitre Corp, 1979)
    Energy (W.H. Freeman, 1979)
    The Price of World Oil (Annual Reviews of Energy, Vol. 8, 1983)
    Free Market Energy (Universe Books, 1984)
    Oil Policy in a Changing Market (Annual Reviews of Energy, Vol. 12, 1987)
    The Ocean in Human Affairs (Paragon House, 1989)
    The Universe and Its Origin: From Ancient Myths to Present Reality and Future Fantasy (Paragon House, 1990)
    Global Climate Change: Human and Natural Influences (Paragon House, 1989)
    The Greenhouse Debate Continued (ICS Press, 1992)
    The Scientific Case Against the Global Climate Treaty (SEPP, 1997)
    Hot Talk, Cold Science: Global Warming's Unfinished Debate, (The Independent Institute, 1997)

http://www.sepp.org/bios/singer/cvsfs.html

As you can see he's be writting about it long before you jonny come latley europeans.

26. pbman

pbman (mo-lone lah-veh)

Thats a direct quote of Caesar.

And he was particuly noted for his latin.

27. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

No it isn't. It's a translation of a mixture of Caesar and Cato. And the bit about Gaul needs to be in the genitive case rather than the nominative.

28. aurora green

aurora green Tectonic

Link added. Actually, there was about 67,000 to choose from googling Fred Singer and corruption, even more if you tried Fred Singer and tobacco industry.

29. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

I would doubt that Fred Singer's views were accepted by more than a very small minority of scientists working in his field, even if one asked only scientists from the US. It's like taking Dr Jazz as an authority on 9/11.

30. DexterTCN

DexterTCN Well-Known Member

With any luck - that will take him months and we'll get some peace.