Shrimp Tank / Aquarium

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by Badgers, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

darius guppies?

Badgers likes this.
  2. Mumbles274

Mumbles274 running from law and the press and the parents

Don't seem to be :D

Badgers likes this.
  3. bellaozzydog

bellaozzydog rolling turds in glitter

I went push netting for shrimp a couple of weeks ago. After two hours I had netted 19 whole shrimps.

I felt such a failure all shrimps were set free

4. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

Jesus that's so tiny! It would really mess with their heads, you shellfish fucker!

:D

Badgers and Pickman's model like this.
  5. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

That depends on the number of shrimp etc.

Am picking up a 24" tank tonight which is more than ample :)

Pickman's model likes this.
  6. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

Whoosh...

Badgers and Pickman's model like this.
  7. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Quite :D

Saul Goodman and Pickman's model like this.
  8. Mumbles274

Trimp!

DSC_1849.JPG DSC_1851.JPG DSC_1853.JPG

spirals and Badgers like this.
  9. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Got the tank home and it transpires that the 'goldfish' is actually a female Guppy :D

The tank is pretty neglected and the gravel is filthy. Doubt it has had any tlc for a very long time so a big job.

10. Mumbles274

You can get really fine substrates now that are much better for planting. Probably worth starting it fresh.. Get some stresscoat to treat new tap water ( save any water you have.. Did you get any when you got the tank?), new substance etc. The guppy 'should be fine in something temporary for the few hours it takes and they are fairly hardy.

Badgers likes this.
  11. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

I planned ahead so have left about 15 litres of water to stand for over a week. At the moment the tank is a third full so will save some of that.

Not got much (if any) budget available for provisions. Going to need some elbow grease, vinegar and razor blades to get it straightened up. Also the light seems to be broken, hopefully just a fuse :hmm:

The Guppy is certainly hardy as it seems that they kept it in cold water.

12. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Eheim filter

20180605_082523.jpg

Seems to be one of these but with with half of it missing :facepalm:

It would seem I have picked up a filthy tank, broken light, half a filter and one Guppy :facepalm:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  13. Mumbles274

Is it possible it's just a smaller version?

Badgers likes this.
  14. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

I have stick it in for now. Water is still cloudy but has only been sitting for a couple if hours. In the past I always used an under gravel filter so am a bit green with internal filters.

I still had some birthday Amazon vouchers left over so have got a new light tube, filter, heater, thermometer and some food for £30ish. Should do for a while although the filter may not be suitable for the shrimp :hmm:

Mumbles274 and Pickman's model like this.
  15. Mumbles274

I think it will be fine, im sure they will stay away and they are strong swimmers

Badgers likes this.
  16. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

You got snails with your Shrimps? I am thinking about a couple of snails and/or some Otto catfish.

17. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Mumbles274

Tank seems settled now. Have 6 female and 2 male Guppies happily eating and shitting around the top two thirds of the tank. Also got 3 very small Otto Catfish who also seem happy in their new surroundings.

The only concern I have is introducing Shrimp with no plants/substrate in the tank :hmm:

18. Mumbles274

Im not sure. I'd think best to get both, just in case?

Badgers likes this.
  19. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Grrrr

I assumed as much. Pain to get the tank clear and running first but think it is worth the hassle. Planning half the tank with a soil/gravel/sand for the shrimp and the other half a bit more gravel. Will see :)

Happy fish at the moment so :thumbs:

Pickman's model and Mumbles274 like this.
  20. dessiato

dessiato Looking for my shopping trolley

I suppose the great thing is that if you get bored of them they are either fishing bait or for the barbecue. I could be tempted.

21. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

22. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Gupdate:

The Guppies have bred like Rabbits and I now have two temporary 'Hatcheries' in the tank :facepalm: So the Guppies have taken over the tank before the shrimp arrive!

I doubt the place I got them from will want them back an not sure what to do with the little fuckers :mad: Anyone want some Guppies? :D

Considering setting up another tank. This one is fine but I regret not setting it up properly with plants and such. Also the lady Guppies are very 'hungry' so not convinced they will be good tank partners for the Shrimp :hmm: They have been 'nipping' at the snail already :(

Thinking that I could move the male Guppies into a new tank as they are smaller/calmer than the ladies. Then get the tank established with some plants before getting the Shrimp in.

@Mumbles274

23. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

24. fishfinger

fishfinger تپلی

I kept tapping on the screen but the little buggers wouldn't even move. I think you've killed 'em :(

25. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

:D

26. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

27. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

IMG-20180805-WA0011-1.jpg

The seven Shrimp (S Club 7) are in the tank finally :cool: Difficult to photograph but they are doing okay.

28. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

29. Mumbles274

Just seen ive missed your updates. Looking good

Badgers likes this.
  30. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

The tank is settling in nicely thanks. Have got the 7 (at least 5 still :hmm:) small Red Cherry Shrimp dashing around the tank and plants. Got them some moss balls too but they don't seem too bothered.

Hopefully will add another 7 in the next couple of weeks :)