Show us yer house and house-related meddlings

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by mauvais, May 15, 2018.

1. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

We've recently had the allegedly good fortune to have bought a house. It's about 100 years old. I will also be about 100 years old when I've finished sorting it out, or more likely, paying people with an actual idea to sort it for me.

Let's start off small - sugar soap & elbow grease to remove decades of grime from the bannisters:

rps20180515_211821.jpg
    rps20180515_211847.jpg rps20180515_212123.jpg

However no good deed goes unpunished and today I discovered that some sort of unseen beetle monster is turning our front door frame to dust:

rps20180515_212313.jpg

Joy. Anyway many more jobs to do (I have a Trello board :facepalm:) and if anyone is interested (or not) I may chronicle them here.

Meanwhile, show us your hoose & hoosey endeavours!

sparkling, Saffy, hegley and 14 others like this.
  2. Sweet FA

Sweet FA ✪ Three rounds Lord, in my .44 ✪

Go for it - I love a build thread :cool:

izz, Spymaster and mauvais like this.
  3. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

First up congratulations mate :)

Ours is certainly a slow burner. Don't have the money to pay people to do things (or even to do buy the materials half the time), but its been trying to teach myself to do things with a fair bit of help from my other half's Dad.

Laying a patio and building a shed has certainly felt a shit load more epic then I ever imagined it would be when I came up with the idea after a few beers.

Fez909, hegley, MickiQ and 1 other person like this.
  4. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

After 21 years here, we really should sort it out.

Poi E, Saffy, UrbaneFox and 4 others like this.
  5. mauvais

Cheers! You'll have to pop by. Our third house on the same street :D

My dad built his shed from scratch and it looks ace. He knows what he's doing. Me, no clue - have lived in rented forever so even if I was so inclined, no opportunities. I might learn a few things through this though.

So far, most things I thought I could try my hand at have ended up being more complicated than expected. Thought I could clean and reseal the driveway - nope, it's massively uneven and needs to be relaid. Thought I could merely paint the doorstep - nope, it has chunks of concrete missing from it too.

We have got some cool stuff planned though, it's just going to take forever to materialise.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  6. mauvais

Today I are be pressure washing.

rps20180516_194543.jpg

rps20180516_194603.jpg

I'll finish that one later this week.

7. Callie

Callie Pivoting

:D AHH beetles. I think we might have some of them lurking. Suspicious holes in floorboards. Not been brave enough to investigate further yet so the house might cave in before that gets sorted.

And the damp! Oh the damp. So much damp. I don't know what to do about the damp. Apparently the beetles like it. The plaster doesn't seem to which is why it keeps detaching itself from the walls.

I did take those polystyrene ceiling tiles down though. That was good. I mean, a bit of the actual ceiling came down too but yunno these things happen.

hegley, marty21 and mauvais like this.
  8. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

pressure washing is great once I start, I can't stop, I think it's because it's so much like wielding a weapon, In my more rational moments I realise it's probably for the best I can't get my hands on a flamethrower.

Saffy, emanymton, hegley and 3 others like this.
  9. mauvais

We've got damp, and we've got horrible suspended ceiling fire risk tiles.

Damp's localised and being treated in a fortnight so that's in hand, in theory. The shit tiles will have to wait for a new kitchen so about a decade then.

10. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

IMG_4307.JPG I wouldn't normally find it necessary to post the knob on the end of my banister but as mauvais has done, here's mine. Regular hand rubbing is helping it mature nicely.

11. bimble

bimble noisy but small

That's a very nice acorn shaped finial you have there.
    Might post up my painted leopardskin wall later, pinnacle of my DIY efforts so far but not sure i can trust people to be polite about it. :D

12. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

"Finial" that's the word I was looking for.....

13. I love it, for the first twenty minutes or so, Then realise that only done a fraction of the patio and my hand now has the serious shakes and I’m now soaked!

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    PippinTook, MickiQ and mauvais like this.
  14. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

needs a knitted egg cosy

:p

PippinTook and mx wcfc like this.
  15. mauvais

Had a man in this week to attack trees and bushes with a variety of petrol-powered implements, as well as doing several dustbins worth of lesser mortal gardening myself.

This was all dark & overgrown, way better now but it needs a new path surface instead of this crappy ruined concrete. All in good time...

FB_IMG_1526669228984.jpg

Thought I'd finished my patio cleaning although now I look at this, not quite:

FB_IMG_1526671480290.jpg

In to look at things this week: a fence man, a window man, a floor sanding man, a builder and an electrician. Bankruptcy looms.

Also got fibre internet for the first time, initial speed 63MB, up from 16MB ADSL. I'll take it!