Should the Euston Arch be rebuilt?

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by _pH_, May 18, 2009.

?

Should the Euston Arch be rebuilt

1. Back to the past! I like Grecian arches!

59.2%
  2. Back to the future! In a space age styleee!

14.1%
  3. Couldn't give a toss as long as the trains run on time

22.5%
  4. comedy option/i <3 kittehs!

4.2%
  1. _pH_

_pH_ .

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8055034.stm

Interesting story! I had no idea the stonework had ended up in the river like that!

So, (assuming the fact that the current Euston is architecturally abysmal and its replacement cannot come too soon) should we go back to the past with Dan Cruikshank or look to the future with an architectural style akin to, say, Stratford or Canary Wharf?

Poll to follow!

2. brixtonvilla

brixtonvilla should be Oslovilla, really

God, no. Never liked it in the first place. Euston is fugly, no doubt, but going back to the past is not the way to go. Build something new & sexy if you're going to rebuild.

3. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

It's a shame it was demolished, but god it was ugly. Really bad monumental scale.

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The old arch was a lovely piece of architecture and guaranteed to be better than anything else they'd slap on the site.

5. Cid

Cid 慢慢走

No, not exactly a fan of it and would just be another bit of nationalist, regressive symbolism.

I would like to see a more critical Modernism in that area though (which tends to go all out on the glass and steel aesthetic).

6. tim

tim Well-Known Member

If they d do rebuild it everyone will, of course, cease being interested in it. People whinged for years about bringing the temple bar back to the city. Noe it is back as part of the neo-Carolean Paternoster square development it is ignored by everyone.

[​IMG]

7. HobgoblinMan

HobgoblinMan Banned Banned

Get Justin Lee Collins to "Bring Back The Euston Arch". And dedicate it to the eternal memory of Jade.

8. pk

pk drink flounce rinse repeat

This is my view.

I like Grecian architecture, and I was chuffed to see them pulling the stones out of the canal.

9. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

Yes it should be rebuilt but I don't see that as going back to the past. You can manage to combine both preservation and progress with a bit of creative forethought.

10. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

11. AnnO'Neemus

AnnO'Neemus Is so vanilla

Euston as it is nowadays is fugly.

12. Cid

Cid 慢慢走

Yes, but the sodding thing is huge and would look totally out of place (plus it would cost a fortune since you'd have to re-route the bus lanes). Just because something is old doesn't mean it's good.

13. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

Maybe, if it were any good, they might have kept it and incorporated it in the new Euston.

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Would that be the same logic that saw endless superb buildings being pulled down all over the UK in the 60s, and the near-demise of St Pancras which was only saved after a high profile public campaign?

Here's how the rebuilt arch may look:

[​IMG]

There's already tons of (mainly shit) modern architecture in the area, as well as the European Modernist British Library building (which I rather like).

Not really sure what's so "nationalist" about the original arch, to be honest. It was built by a railway company (London and Birmingham Railway), not the state.

Euston Arch Trust: http://www.eustonarch.org/

15. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

I don't get it, I suppose. Doesn't do anything for me.

Fwiw, I always feel it's a bit bullshitty when they try and impress with mood lighting. If it gets rid of the traffic like that though, I'll take two.

16. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

From what I remember, there was quite a bit of support for it at the time, but BR and their developer were determined to have an all-new station and no obstruction to the site.

One thing that emerged later was that even the demolition contractor was incredulous about them wanting the arch razed and initially offered to re-erect it at his own expense somewhere else but BR were having none of it.

Which of course is maybe why so much of the stonework ended-up in a place where it could be fond again?

17. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

I'm not sure it's worth recreating facsimile style. I think I'd probably prefer the money spent on more useful improvements to the station itself.

I know everyone loves to say how much they hate Euston station but I actually rather like the main hall. It is quite grand and very generous in scale compared to most rail stations built around that time. I enjoy the no-nonsense coffered ceiling. With a bit of thoughtful re-arranging of facilities and tidying up of tacky kiosks etc I think it could be a very impressive space.

The platforms, of course, are grim. I'm not going to argue about that. And the forecourt and external appearance aren't up to much either.

18. Crispy

The old Euston ticket hall, on the other hand - that was worth saving and it's a much greater shame it was demolished than the arch.

19. Cid

Cid 慢慢走

Yes, but that picture is, conveniently, dark and doesn't give the slightest idea how it would be integrated with the rest of the building and surrounding area. Without a complete redesign of the area it just won't work... Euston does need a bit of a face lift, but now is not the time for grand public gestures.

Yeah, I know - I dropped out of the architecture school over the road... Who, incidentally, are still trying to redesign their awful building - definitely a case of 'two many cooks'... :D

It's not the arch itself, it's the whole idea of reconstructing old structures and lauding them as great symbols of a bygone (invariably sepia) age.

20. Roadkill

Roadkill Well-Known Member

Tbh I'm really not bothered.

The arch shouldn't have been demolished, but equally, the station behind it was badly laid out and in poor condition by the early 60s. It needed major work, if not completely rebuilding, and tbh the 'new' Euston that replaced it isn't a dreadful station to be in.

Like teuchter, I'd much rather see the money spent elsewhere on the station - or elsewhere on the railway, since there are any number of stations all over the place that could do with at least a new coat of paint.

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

If it's good, who cares? The way St Pancras was reinvented and brought back from the dead was brilliant, and that certainly was a symbol of a bygone age.

You're never going to get a grand architectural scheme for the area because it's too built up, but something like the Euston Arch (suitably lit and given a modern sheen) would at least provide a focus rather than the current vista of dowdy, dull, bland buildings.
    I agree. That was a stunning building.

22. g force

g force Affects Shatner's Basoon

Euston's problems are far more than rebuilding an arch...the entire place needs to be re-built and made into a useable, attractive terminus. At the moment it's an embarassment - the concourse is horrific, the help point are shit, the ticket office is a mess and platforms themselves are no better.

23. Crispy

A complete rebuild is in the pipeline, but they are relying on selling the space above the station to fund it. Probably not a goer at the moment :(

24. Rollem

Rollem two kinds of wonderful

this

personally couldn't care less for the arch now. a few years ago i was all for it, now i just want the whole damn area re-designed with or without an arch.

25. teuchter

An interesting document here about the rebuilding of Euston station. There are some quite cool photos of the site during the rebuilding. And 1960's style "artist's impressions" of the new buildings.

26. teuchter

I was there the other day and noticed they are completely rebuilding the ticket office area at the moment.

27. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Tbh Euston is such a fucking monstrosity that you could put just about anything in front of it and improve the look of the place, so far as it even just partially obscures the facade.

28. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

I rather like Euston as it now is

I suppose we ought to campaign to have all old buildings blasted with soot, birshit ahd pwdered horse crap to get the true "feel" of Victorian london back - oh yeah, a smattering of pox ridden child prostitutes would also add to the "Empire" vibe

Utter tosh

Bye the bye - I never knew that the bottoms of rivers got "holes" in them large enough for 70 ft columns to be needed to fill em up!!:confused:

29. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

Don't think its worth reinstalling the Euston Arch. There's something deeply bland about the whole of Euston station indeed the whole layout of the area, but I don't think reinstalling the Euston Arch will be helpful.

Indeed I think its inappropriate now. You cant really drive through the Euston Arch, its not pedestrian-friendly. It would be inappropriate because it would be out of tune with the few redeeming features of Euston station its functionality. Its not pretty but you can catch a train.

If I was to suggest one small improvement to the station it is that there should be a really good fish and chip shop there.

30. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

Thanks for this Teuchter. I love 1960s promotional material. Something so naive but at the same time hopeful about it. :cool:

I wonder what happened to the upstairs "Superloo" complete with baths?