Should all new trains get a bit of this?

Discussion in 'transport' started by Don Troooomp, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Don Troooomp

Don Troooomp Condescension and embedded self importance

Graffiti 'thugs' vandalise £17m train

Right or wrong, I like it so maybe all new trains should get a makeover.

What do you think?

2. Don Troooomp

3. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Free the Sepsis Six!

Yeah, cos who wants to look out of the window anyway?

4. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix Life as viewed from a Gay Gorbals Garret

TFL does it with buses. Pisses me off i can't see out properly for some crap advert.

SpookyFrank and A380 like this.
  5. Lupa

Lupa .

They should do them all.....only better.

6. krtek a houby

krtek a houby how's it going to end?

Throbbing Angel, Celyn and Poi E like this.
  7. A380

A380 How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?

I wouldn’t care if my Thameslink train looked like that if it actually fucking turned up for once without being fucking cancelled or fucking worse fucking just fucking disappearing from the fucking timetable in the seven fucking minutes it takes to get from my house to the fucking station. Fuckers.

And breathe.

8. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

This is only news because it happened at a station so someone could see it.

Happens all the time.

At least no-one was violently assaulted by the scum, on this particular occasion. Which also happens all the time when they are confronted by staff.

If you think these graffiti artists aren't violent criminals and this is a victimless crime then you'd be wrong.

A380 likes this.
  9. Gromit

That train won't have run. Would have been taken out of service. One less train for you and your fellow passengers to catch. But hey so long as graffiti artists have their fun who cares about commuters?!

sealion and A380 like this.
  10. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

It looks shit, I can't read any of the writing.

11. gosub

gosub ~#

12. A380

A380 How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?

Poor poor bastards. Thoughts with their families and friends.

And poor sod who was driving the train and the bobbies who had to recover and reconcile them for their families.

An awful day on the railway.

Bahnhof Strasse and cupid_stunt like this.
  13. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic King Cnut the Great.

I saw that train before it was moved, right bloody mess TBH.

It's been cleaned-up, and amazingly it didn't need a re-spray.

14. craigxcraig

craigxcraig Prefers 'cxc'

I overlook a trainline and seeing more and more trains tagged or painted, all South Eastern.

15. Don Troooomp

I still think colourful is happy

16. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

At about a million quid per carriage (and these were virtually brand new) , not a trivial matter. Besides - who pays for it .....the fare paying passenger , or via taxes and Government grants.

17. Gromit

Fares.

Government funds tend to be earmarked for expansion capital and to subsidise low capacity routes.

I forget how much the Piccadilly night tube wrap was (someone told me in training a long time ago) I remember being shocked. I think the mayor’s office chipped in on that one but I could be wrong.

18. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Very roughly - the fare box covers the operating costs all over (with those producing a profit - such as SWT , cross subsiding the losers like Northern / Arriva Trains Wales) - the big slab of money from Government covers the costs of Network Rail for both renewals of track and signalling , and of course enhancements and projects (with inevitably it seems cost more than they should have)

The cost of a vinyl job on a carriage is in excess of £7K a vehicle. The cost of cleaning these badly defaced ones , reduces the surplus of profit transferred somewhere else in the UK , never mind "down time" etc. Luckily they have a 2 pack paint specification , which can be quite durable and allows fairly easy cleaning off of vandalism.

19. Cid

Cid 慢慢走

Does it?

Never met a graffer likely to assault station staff, running away is far less trouble. At least of the ones who aim to do big pieces... davesgcr does it 'happen all the time'?

I've seen very well painted cars before (think it was in Poland or something). This is kind of shit... Not to mention the windows. And, as noted, just ends up going quickly and wasting money.

20. gosub

gosub ~#

I'm not sure I'd go as far as an ex TFL board member, but yeah, I do feel for the families, the futility of the whole fucking thing

21. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Bit out of the loop now - on my watch we never had any whole cars covered , partly because at "temptation times" like the Christmas break , nothing was left unattended or unguarded at places like Camden (the trains were moved into Euston where there was CCTV and staff patrols) , ditto Northampton River sidings were cleared out and the whole fleet concentrated on Bletchley. I had a zero tolerance programme instilled ,and as a result we had very few "hits" , mostly minor tagging , which was either dealt with PDQ ,or the tag ruined by a line of white paint through it (and then cleaned off within 24 hours) - saved a shedload of money accordingly.

Those trusting souls at Clapham , Welwyn and Letchworth paid for their lack of attention to operating detail by having mass attacks on the rolling stock. This was put right.

Large paint jobs were - and even now - fairly rare. Though it seems a bit more prevalent of late.

Interestingly , and shows how there are culteral and regional traits , Scotland has to my knowledge hardly ever had any train tagging , ditto Liverpool.

Bahnhof Strasse, A380 and Cid like this.