Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett: "they're a warm lot"

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by editor, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Foot's on the other hand

This is timely - I think it was this thread (or certainly one of Ed's posts) that got me in to JB's Sherlock...Turns out it's one of the few things that connects me and my Gran - and a such the box set of all JB Sherlocks is currently (well, at some point today/tomorrow!) being wrapped for her xmas present. :cool::thumbs:

I prefer the earlier (pre-Richenbach) Holmes to the latter one though.:oops:

Also really really really recommend the audiobook as narrated by this guy The Complete Sherlock Holmes

2. Ted Striker

The "Oooooh" at the footwork :D

Can we all accept 'warm' as the new 'vibrant'!?

ska invita, bubblesmcgrath and editor like this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I don't know how they all kept a straight face. The barman is wonderfully deadpan.

4. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Unfortunately the south African villain kind of spoils that episode...and the drunk preist. Just makes jb shine brighter though...

Badgers and Ted Striker like this.
  5. Ted Striker

Tbh a lot of them are a blur of aristocracy brit or Empire (cricket test nation) brute weirdo as a bona fide 'nasty piece of work'...Like Columbo (no 1 pipping JB''s Sherlock IMO) it was never about the whodunnit :cool:

Blates not waiting for Grandma to open her pressie:oops:, reacquainting myself with (as this torrent says) s3 as we speak :thumbs:.

Again, it's the small things, but this place is my reddit...@editor s feats span far (far far!) beyond this, but merely nudging me in the path of this is worth the entrance fee alone :):thumbs:

Badgers and editor like this.
  6. ska invita

fans of JBs Sherlock might enjoy this, but only 4 days left on iplayer
    BBC Two - Mr Holmes
    ian mckelan as a 93 year old Sherlock on his last legs and losing his memory trying to remember one last case!
    its got the pace and old skool bbc tv feel that might do it for you
    i enjoyed it a lot, but its very gentle stuff

blossie33, PippinTook and passenger like this.
  7. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

Very very gentle. Not much plot.

gosub likes this.
  8. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

It was in the cinemas a couple of years ago

Badgers likes this.
  9. ska invita

its more a philosophical/existential film its true, but there was a case there and some clever writing.
    if youre still watching jeremy brett in this day and age i reckon you might get along with it

Badgers and passenger like this.
  10. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

I agree. Lucy Liu nails it.

Badgers likes this.
  11. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

I picked the DVD up at a charity shop a few weeks ago, enjoyed watching it too, the story is quite well thought out.

ska invita likes this.
  12. ska invita

i like the idea that the last Sherlock Holmes book was written as a deliberate whitewashing lie by Watson, clever

blossie33 likes this.