1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett: "they're a warm lot"

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by editor, Jan 29, 2013.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I absolutely love Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes with his high camp, flamboyant, drug-taking Sherlock being by far the greatest interpretation in my eyes, but sometimes he could be very funny indeed.

I just love his exchange with the landlord of a country pub (starts around 31 minutes) and the use of the word "warm" - and the fight scene after is hilarious.

"Particularly warm is he?" :)

2. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

How's the tax return going? :D

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

'Tis all done :)

gentlegreen and nipsla like this.
  4. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

Indeed, never bettered in the role.

5. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

Likewise.

Also, the ITV series was probably one of the best interpretations of Dr Watson, who often comes across as a bit two dimensional...

6. Stigmata

Stigmata sexual tyrannosaurus

"Only a ruffian deals a blow with the back of his hand..."

telbert likes this.
  7. Balham

Balham If it ain't in London then, well, it just ain't.

David Burke and Edward Hardwicke did, I think, make Dr Watson far more believeable than other versions. The Granada series is the ultimate Sherlock Holmes series I think, everyone was just right in the roles

editor likes this.
  8. Pingu

Pingu Credo

weekends...

editor likes this.
  9. telbert

telbert Do you like sponge?

Hmmm, there is a lot of sense in what you say but although Jeremy Brett and Edward Hardwicke were the quintessential Holmes and Watson to most fans(including me),David Burke sometimes goes right over the top(almost into Nigel Bruce mode). The Blue Carbuncle and The Naval Treaty spring to mind.

10. Stigmata

I think Brett and Hardwicke are Holmes and Watson as Conan Doyle wrote them. Contrary to what people say these days Watson was always meant to be a bit slow on the uptake (although good at medicine and fighting, of course).

editor likes this.
  11. telbert

Watson was never slow on the uptake.

Dom Traynor likes this.
  12. Stigmata

Conveniently quoted on wikipedia so I don't have to dig it out:

"If I irritated him by a certain methodical slowness in my mentality, that irritation served only to make his own flame-like intuitions and impressions flash up the more vividly and swiftly."

In intellectual terms he was the straight man of the double act, and unlike Holmes he never outsmarts the reader.

editor and telbert like this.
  13. telbert

Your absolutely right in your quote,but in my defence i was comparing him to other characters in the canon and not S.H. Watson was a qualified doctor and was quite savvy with the with the ways of the world too. In his own words "we are men of science Holmes".
    Saying he was slow on the uptake compared with S.H. is like saying a 911 is slow compared to a Bugatti Veyron

Dom Traynor and Stigmata like this.
  14. telbert

Yeah that probably doesnt make a lot of sense, but i think you know what i mean:)

15. Pickman's model

Pickman's model amid a crowd of stars

for a man of science he was a bit shit about remembering where he'd been shot.

16. telbert

Oh yeah.The shoulder wound that gave him the limp.Bit strange that;)

17. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

It depends what he was doing in 1882/3 - the rest of the "memoirs of John H Watson MD" (from which "Study in Scarlet was a partial re-print) seems to be lost. It is possible he did return to army service and pick up a second injury.

18. Pickman's model

Pickman's model amid a crowd of stars

i think not

Spanky Longhorn likes this.
  19. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

as I said, 1882 is unaccounted for.

I'm aware one theory is that JW was in America and met his first wife (who is never mentioned by name - and in the interests of his second wife, Mary Morstan, JW gave the impression that some cases took place after his marriage to Mary, readers being led to believe that the wife he referred to was Mary.)

20. Balham

Balham If it ain't in London then, well, it just ain't.

I think that's a fair comment.
    I'd almost agree with you, in so much as I did prefer the episodes with Edward Hardwicke.

telbert likes this.
  21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Weekends....

Spanky Longhorn likes this.
  22. Shippou-Sensei

Shippou-Sensei 4:1:2.5

recently did a binge and rewatched all of these.

good adaptation all round.

editor likes this.
  23. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

I haven't watched any of these for years, but Brett and Hardwick have been kind of displaced in my affections by Clive Merrison and Michael Williams which gets repeated on Radio 4 extra quite regularly.

I'll have to check the Granada stuff out again.

ebonics likes this.
  24. butcher

butcher boner at the ready

Basil Rathbone and Nige Bruce have a place in my heart though

25. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

Dunno really.

Compared to the genius of Holmes, then I think most people are slow on the uptake in comparison.

Holmes' attitude towards Watson does seem to vary e.g.

"you have been invaluable to me in this as in many other cases".... "I must compliment you exceedingly on the zeal and intelligence which you have shown over an extraordinarily difficult case" (The Hound of the Baskervilles)

and I am sure there is one quote where he comments on Watson under-playing his own role.

There are other occasions when he is less complimentary to Watson, though...

26. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

BUMP!
    Am watching these Jeremy Brett Holmes's at the moment, and funnily enough just finished that "theyre a warm lot" episode (called the lonely bicyclist)
    I dont remember these being on tv - must have missed them.
    Anyhow, Jeremy Brett is definitely brilliant in the role...owns it....however I just looked him up on wikipedia and its a very sad tale.
    Excuse the C&P, but its all important and poignant:

////////////////////////////
    Very sad, and lithium is a really hard medication to take, can be full of extreme side effects.
    It makes the performance all the more meaningful and tragic.
    Poor man.... RIP.... definitely will be remembered as a legend of British tv acting

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2016
    Ted Striker, editor and gentlegreen like this.
  27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I found the clip. Absolute genius and truly hilarious. He was fucking amazing.

28. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

editor likes this.
  29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

"Weekends?"

"Particularly warm"?

Love it, love it, love it.

30. bubblesmcgrath

bubblesmcgrath Well-Known Member

Loved him as Sherlock... another box set to set up to watch this Christmas..

He was a decent singer too :)

editor likes this.