1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shed becomes top rated tripadvisor destination

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by cybershot, Dec 6, 2017.

1. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

I Made My Shed the Top Rated Restaurant On TripAdvisor

danski, Weller, Vintage Paw and 21 others like this.
  2. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

That is genuinely pretty amazing.

3. bubblesmcgrath

bubblesmcgrath Well-Known Member

Ha ha..that is brilliant :D

4. Silas Loom

Silas Loom The people have spoken, the bastards.

Their push back - that they are geared up to deal with gaming by real businesses, not with pranks - is reasonable, I suppose.

muscovyduck likes this.
  5. cybershot

Solidifying why I never ever use TripAdvisor to base where I go.

6. Throbbing Angel

Throbbing Angel "That's my secret Captain, I'm always angry"

quite funny

7. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

Look at any random small town in the country. The top rated restaurants will always be Indian places given reviews of dubious legitimacy.

8. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees

:D

muscovyduck likes this.
  9. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt & dyslexic cnut.

Great prank. :D

10. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

When did TripAdvisor become "trusted" by anyone..? Its always been full of stooges!

11. bimble

bimble uber-hippy twonk peanut

This is brilliant. Seems trip advisor have removed the listing :(:D

Badgers likes this.
  12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Most mainstream online reviews are completely untrustworthy, whether they be for hotels, restaurants or goods.

muscovyduck likes this.
  13. bimble

Tripadvisor is great for the entertainment value of reading the one star reviews that idiots leave sometimes, like when they go to a nature reserve and complain that there was not much entertainment, or to the busiest railway station in india and complain that its busy.

14. Silas Loom

Tripadvisor is fine if you read between the lines of restaurant reviews. You can distinguish quite easily between feedback by foodies and five star reviews which say things like “the waiter wasn’t snooty and the toilets were sparkling clean. All the food was hot and my Lamb was cooked to perfection.”

muscovyduck likes this.
  15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You don't think that restaurants are capable of getting well written fake reviews sorted?

16. Silas Loom

I’m sure they are. Most reviews, though, for most restaurants, are real, and it’s more important to sort out informed from ill-informed opinion. Which depends on content rather than style.

17. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Somewhere under the raincloud

In most small towns the one proper Indian place is usually the best restaurant tbf.

18. cybershot

I’m part of the Argos testers community. I get sent stuff for free in exchange for ‘honest reviews’

I do review honestly and am yet to give anything I’ve had above 3 stars.

For the products I have had in yet to see anyone else give less than a 4. The last product I had the instructions were so poor but no one else picked up on this and still the 5 star reviews flowed.

Luckily Argos do label up those reviews and you see who got the product for free but it don’t really help if people just willy nilly give 5 star reviews.

It’s also no surprise a get a lot of no’s next to my reviews for was this review helpful. Which the vendor probably ends up getting their pr staff to do. :rolleyes:

I’ll probsbly start receiving less products next year no doubt, because I tell the truth and don’t come conform that I should give the product 5 stars because I got it for free regardless of it costs £10,or £200+

Wrote this on phone and had a few drinks. Sorry for the poor English. Can’t be added to correct.

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

When I wrote for Internet Magazine I was given some software to review that was so shit I made them invent a 'zero star' category! :)

20. moose

moose like some cat from Japan

I like this for the Donkey Sanctuary in Devon:
    No offence to the donkeys, but when you've seen one, you've seen them all. People are obviously attached to the beasts, as there are hundreds of plaques from folk who have donated money to them, but I don't see the appeal.

21. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

*Sometimes*

I've had as many dismal Indian meals as I've had good ones.

22. bubblesmcgrath

bubblesmcgrath Well-Known Member

I tend to write reviews on tripadvisor only when things are pretty bad....as a stark warning to others.
    :D

23. cybershot

That's part of the problem, not just tripadvisor but for vendors of products too, and even shops, utility suppliers etc. We like a good moan. I suspect I've made more complaints to companies than I have to say how ace they are.

So you can see why fake reviews are a good business, as the writer of the article in the OP eludes too in his opening statement, it's what he did to earn extra money on the side. As long as you're willing to put a bit of effort in (and if you're being paid then you should) then it's not exactly hard work to write a well written legit looking fake review.

Despite me not tweeting/writing to companies on facebook/ or just randomly phoning them to say how ace they are, I generally will recommend companies/places/tradespeople when people ask! So I guess there's that side of it too, where word of mouth is actually still pretty powerful.

At least Amazon do now mark stuff as a verified purchase, but then, you do sometimes wonder. Public profiles of reviewers can be the most revealing bit to how legit they are.

Artaxerxes likes this.
  24. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

I tend to skip over the good reviews because they're boring and ignore what's said in the bad ones because they generally sound like they're written by entitled idiots, so I don't usually have much use for TripAdvisor apart from entertainment value.

25. bimble

I've written 3 over the course of about ten years or whatever, two love letters and one bad one with the intention of warning people off (a hotel) because it was a really dodgy place. I can't imagine bothering to write anything that wasn't either one or the other extreme tbh.

bubblesmcgrath likes this.
  26. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

I prefer Google Reviews because people leave reviews for everything from prisons to continents.

May Kasahara and bimble like this.
  27. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

McDonalds was once, albeit briefly, the highest rated restuarant in Albufeira on Trip Advisor

moose likes this.