Shard owners seek to ban protest by Class War activist Ian Bone

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by editor, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Sasaferrato

Sasaferrato Thank fuck it's not over.

Well now. On one side we have wealth and power beyond imagining. On the other a random 'class warrior'.

It is rather like a boxing match between Henry Cooper and Benny Hill.

2. Sasaferrato

I wouldn't think that the pavement could ever be private property.

Ralph Llama likes this.
  3. Sasaferrato

Worthy of the mighty 'Eye' one feels.

4. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

I don't reckon they've got idiots for lawyers. If they're seeking an injunction it's because there's a good chance they'll get it.

5. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

yeh just like when the police nick someone they must have good reason. :rolleyes:

tim and Sasaferrato like this.
  6. Sasaferrato

Well, if it was a two bed flat in a tower block, I would agree with you. Even if those multi-million pound properties were offered to the Council for renting, who could afford the rent? As always with the hard left, this is absolutely pointless. Indeed, one could consider it an act of self aggrandisement. (Or would be, if anyone outside the hard-left bubble had ever heard of him.)

7. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

It's up to Ian to decide how he spends his time. As usual he has done a sterling job of generating press coverage. The dynamic of Qatari millionaires against an OAP with a walking stick will resonate very well with most normal people I think.

Land in the UK is a finite and scarce resource, especially in London. Having somewhere to live is a basic human need. Highlighting millionaires land-banking whilst people are homeless or struggling to pay the rent is good and there should be more of it.

Sunset Tree, YouSir, NoXion and 23 others like this.
  8. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

Now Available With Added Words (including Names)!™

Half Bakered at The Shard…

9. tim

tim Well-Known Member

Bone is more Tommy Cooper than Henry Cooper and an excellent provocateur, capable of causing the type of publicity and embarrassment that Gulf princlings hate

fishfinger, Almor and Pickman's model like this.
  10. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

Apols if this has been covered already...

...is the injunction about the ‘public - private’ space, or the proper public bit?

11. souljacker

souljacker A bit of skullduggery

I've just realised who you used to be on here. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Pickman's model likes this.
  12. DaveCinzano

:hmm:

[​IMG]

13. souljacker

souljacker A bit of skullduggery

Your secret is safe with me. :thumbs:

editor and Pickman's model like this.
  14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

FUCK YOU Qatari fuckers

15. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Fucking hell, so have I :facepalm: :D

Pickman's model likes this.
  16. dylanredefined

dylanredefined Not a house elf a tiger

I thought unless it's covered by the official secret act you are allowed to take photos?

17. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

AFAIK it's down to where your feet are. If you're stood on public land you're fine. But the problem is that so much of what looks like public space isn't anymore, it's privately owned.

dylanredefined likes this.
  18. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

Is this the concourse with the little set of steps down to the tube station, just up from the London Bridge Hotel? If so whilst it may be privately owned, its certainly open to the public so one does wonder what the justification is for stopping people filming there (as you say later it can only really be because of the News International building).

19. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

20. Wilf

Wilf Meeting few of his KPIs

This. It's hardly likely to be a game changer in itself, but this kind of campaign is well judged, publicity friendly and hits all the right notes, particularly allied with Grenfell. Also, fair play to Ian himself. I'm sure he wouldn't want anybody banging on about his ill health though I think it's well known. But even so, my Dad having just died of the same condition, I'm full of admiration.

edit: I'll let myself off, he himself mentions his Parkinson's in the original story:
    Shard owners seek to ban protest by Class War activist

ddraig, MrSpikey, tim and 3 others like this.
  21. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

The photography isn’t illegal, but on private property they can ask you to leave and it would iirc be aggravated trespass if you refused.

The area to the left as you come up the escalators, when the Shard is to your right. I was there this afternoon as it happens and there are bollards around it now and a little covered staircase down to the tube.

Unfortunately a lot of PAPS areas do set photography regulations regardless of how public they are. They’re only vaguely enforced and I’m not aware of any actual legal action but you do get people asked to leave, and just the experience is aggravating. I got questioned by a security guard at Gasholder Park not too long ago who asked me if I was doing commercial photography while I was literally setting up a fucking pinhole camera - yeah, big market for weird blurry pictures of nothing much, you got me mate. He was perfectly polite but it pissed me off enough to ruin that afternoon.

It would seem bizarre that the space outside the entrance to a major national rail station was privately owned but I really would not put it past them; I was also relatively close (I was shooting upwards to take some abstract architectural shots of the corner of the News UK building, which I have done before without problems but it may not have had tenants as evil).

22. Pickman's model

Yeh. We'll see but it's my mo not to take bluster for banning and to see evidence they're not full of shit and trying it on. I'll report back later

Magnus McGinty likes this.
  23. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

Sadly it is in places.

There's a place near London Bridge (the road with the Sainsbury's going to Cannon Street) with a discreet plaque on the middle of the pavement announcing whose land your walking on.

24. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Shopping precincts can be also. I think it’s scandalous that places where the public have to walk whilst going about their business can be privately owned. It flies under the radar though as it isn’t something that needs consideration until it comes to photography or protest.

25. MrSpikey

MrSpikey Well-Known Member

It would only be aggravated trespass if, while trespassing, you were disrupting a legal activity, or intimidating those engaged in one. Passively taking photos should be hard to fit into these definitions (not that I've never seen the police try), especially on private property where the public is generally admitted.

If it is private property, though, the landowner or their agents can ask you to leave for any reason. If you refuse, they have the right to use "reasonable force" to remove you.

26. 19force8

19force8 For the avoidance of faith

It's not uncommon. In many shopping streets in London you'll see rows of brass dots in the pavement. These mark the boundaries of the property on which the shop stands. In fact many older houses actually have storage rooms under the pavement itself - coal cellars etc. - look for the small circular manhole covers which allowed coal to be delivered without contaminating the house.

27. 19force8

19force8 For the avoidance of faith

Luton is a particularly bad example of this where virtually the entire shopping precinct (the Mall, used to be the Arndale centre) is a privatised public space.

28. Pickman's model

No one approached me while I was taking pictures

29. A380

A380 How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?

It’s about the moneterasation of public space.

Mind you, for the whole of Luton town centre that would come out at about £17.20.

30. DaveCinzano

Of interest:

crossthebreeze likes this.