Shambala 2018

Discussion in 'festivals' started by wiskey, Oct 20, 2017.

1. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

Tickets on sale at midday on Wednesday 25th October.

Which is really fucking irritating as it's 2 days before payday.

It's going to sell out too as there's no Glastonbury (everything will sell out earlier I reckon).

2. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Sparkly cat whisperer

Considering it this time :)

wiskey likes this.
  3. PursuedByBears

PursuedByBears Go stick your head in a pig

We're going this time - I managed to get 2 x tier 2 tickets before they sold out at 12:03!

wiskey likes this.
  4. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

I'll be working on main stage as usual I'm sure.

5. kalidarkone

kalidarkone Up to my knees in amniotic fluid

I would really like to work with the medical team, but they are specifying Dr's and nurses - nothing about health care assistants or associate practioner ( band 3 or 4).

6. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

Write to them, they might want non clinical. If not I think it's either chill or tea and empathy that do welfare

7. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

Cool.

Their cc transactions are apparently fucked and have been all day

8. Ground Elder

Ground Elder Well-Known Member

As always, we'll be there.

wiskey likes this.
  9. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

Never seen that before ... wonder what prompted that

10. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

They might take you on the welfare team instead?

I have two freinds who work the medical team, one is a fully qualified nurse, and one isn't, but I don't know what qualification she's got.

11. Ground Elder

90% of tickets gone as of yesterday. Doesn't usually sell out this early, so may catch a few out.

12. Ground Elder

Sold out. Don't say I didn't warn you :hmm:

13. moonsi til

moonsi til worked it out now!

So mad that it has sold out so soon. When I first went to Shambala the early bird tickets went on sale around January.

It’s great that many festivals do a deposit payment scheme these days.

I have been to Shamaba about 8 times but not for a couple of years, bought tickets last year but my partner couldn’t get the time off. Shambala do a no quibble refund. Do many others do this?

Prob would have liked to go this year but was wavering then poof tickets gone.

14. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

Is it still easy to break in to Shambala? Seem to remember they tightened up the perimeter considerably a few years ago, by hiring Green Event Security who do the Boomtown perimeter (pretty effectively i believe)

15. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

Bump cos it's tomorrow

Anyone else going?

Don't suppose anyone knows anyone with a spare child ticket do they?

16. Ground Elder

I'm here, in the kids' field . Really I should get out of bed and get to work.

17. sim667

Really enjoyed that :)

AnnO'Neemus likes this.
  18. sim667

It was everything I look forward to about shambala, just a really laid back, happy festivals, where my mates can come with their kids, I can come and party. Plan to see nothing, hope to see everything.

Also I discovered my new favourite band I think.

19. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

Which band?

I enjoyed it too, was a bit sceptical as most of our group didn't go and the weather was dubious but had as good a time as ever. didn't actually do a lot because it's definitely the festival we focus around the kids but that's fine and they had a ball.

It definitely still has a bit of magic that other festivals we do don't.

And we managed to blag the car park and walk werv straight in the gate without a ticket which saved us £85.

There's certainly things it gets right - dedicated nappy bins, half portions for kids, bf yurt in the main arena etc - and now it's improved the toilets my annual complaint is void.

Dunno if we will go next year, I said this would be the last one... And then found myself saying 'until next year' and meaning it.

Ground Elder likes this.
  20. sim667

Reverend Peyton and the Damn Big Band

21. spitfire

spitfire Toast

Oooh I like that. Nice find! :cool:

AnnO'Neemus and sim667 like this.
  22. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

oh yeah, they were brilliant. I also really liked My Baby who headlined that night

other acts I liked on the main stage were Gentleman's Dub Club, who are always good, Seun Kuti & Africa 80 were excellent and Zeal & Ardor on the Friday night were an unexpected joy, not the kind of music I expect at Shambala :D

spitfire likes this.
  23. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

Ah yes we could hear Zeal & Ardour and had a conversation about how it's was a bit of a new direction for shambles.

I saw GDC on the main stage but that was about it for music. Thoroughly enjoyed Tourettes Hero in the social club, the mid afternoon junior jungle rave, an interpretive dance competition, crazy ping pong, the kids field, sword making, samosas and sitting by the lake. And the loos were finally better.

I didn't enjoy the lack of pieminister saag paneer pie :( In fact the food was a bit meh imo, absolutely nothing in foodtopia appealed.

What was the point of the barrel hanging from a crane?

I think perhaps I'm suffering from over exposure but the finale was a bit dull once again, they have really made me go wow in the past but not recently.

BigTom likes this.
  24. Ground Elder

The finale hasn't been the same, since they tried to burn down the permaculture area :D

I don't think I actually saw or did very much at all, but nevertheless managed to enjoy myself :hmm: My wife played a couple of sets in the Botanical Disco, which kept us entertained enough :cool:

wiskey likes this.
  25. sim667

A lot of people were saying my baby was great..... Ill listen

BigTom likes this.
  26. sim667

It was hanging over a hidden away area which had a small stage and cafe, it was a permaculture area with metal pod sculptures and dancing fountains.

AnnO'Neemus and wiskey like this.
  27. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

Yeah, Zeal and Ardor are a bit different! They did have 65 Days of Static last year who are also experimental and not expected music but they are at least quite ambient-y in their last album. Hopefully they are going to keep going with the more experimental bands, there was a pretty decent crowd fro zeal and ardor.

wiskey likes this.
  28. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

That Reverand Peyton's lot are amazing, seen them before :cool:

Glad you all enjoyed Shambala :cool:

I really want to get back there some time one year ... the dates illegally clash with our beer and cider festival here in Swansea, which inevitably ;) we're heavily involved in organising/drinking at ....

But at some point a breakaway might happen. Ooh! :D

29. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

Ahhh yes I walked past the entrance one night but didn't have opportunity to investigate.

So the barrel didn't actually serve a purpose?

AnnO'Neemus likes this.
  30. Ground Elder

The garden was great - completely sheltered from the wind. No idea what the barrel was about, but it wasn't over the garden.