Sexual Predators documentary

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by LiamO, Nov 18, 2012.

1. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

Does anyone remember the name of a documentary (World In Action/Panarama/This Week - a mainstream broadcaster anyways) from the late 70's?

It was about the 'old main drag', about London's Piccadilly and the men who preyed on teenage runaways there... including some who had set up Charities and homeless shelters to facilitate their rotten exploitation.

As I recall it resulted in investigations, prosecutions and convictions.

I'm sure it must be up on YouTube and it would be interesting to see again in light of recent developments.

Thanks.

2. Shippou-Sensei

Shippou-Sensei 4:1:2.5

the term sexual preditor makes me think of some sort of animal possibly in a documentary.

david attenbough softly narrates as we see a small group of men in dirty macs strolling about on the serengeti. suddenly one breaks into a run towards a wandering school bus. it tries to drive off but the sexual preditor is to fast and spreads its mac wide in front of the bus.

cesare, Casually Red, Reno and 3 others like this.
  3. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

4. Deareg

Deareg Well-Known Member

I have an image of slugs rather than animals.

5. fogbat

fogbat The Talibum

A lion in lingerie.

Greebo likes this.
  6. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

Wasn't there an NFer or fellow traveller who got done for sexual abuse/charity/homeless around Kings Cross in the mid 70s?

Found it: Roger Gleaves aka The Bishop of Medway

7. Shippou-Sensei

hummmm aparently lions are not sexy

tigers... well yeah tigers are sexy

but lions.... the best i can do is cute

8. Shippou-Sensei

a slug is an animal.... and unfortunatly when i searched an anime image site for a cute anime slug i got back slug rape

so yes slugs are sexual preditors if you have that manga

9. Firky

Firky The first of the gang Banned

Something about tupperware and tight seals.

10. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

11. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

Got any links, Steps?

I think Gleaves was featured in 'Johnny Go Home'.

12. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

really? makes me think of dirty old, middle-class businessmen preying (in an organised way) on vulnerable, young, working-class kids.

but then, I've saw this film as a child and it left a lasting impression on me... having said that calling these people 'animals' is hardly a stretch.

13. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

14. Shippou-Sensei

interestingly classist.

i think with me it's years of watching tones of bbc wildlife programs... oh and Survival on itv

15. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

This is a politics board. i need to justify being 'classist'?:facepalm:

... actually my statement was a fair reflection of what went on. The runaways were overwhelmingly working class. Their abusers were overwhelmingly professional... and middle-class.

AFAIK teenage street-prostitution is a profession few children from nice, secure middle-class homes (the kind of homes the actual children of many of these abusers live in) have to enter.

16. Shippou-Sensei

no... this is a general forum... there is a political element but in the same way sugar puffs are part of a nutritionist breakfast i don't expect them in my orange juice.

being abused or an abuser isn't dependant on class. to portray it as such is a gross simplification of a more complex and insidious trait.

to amke an unfair comparison i would state the question "was fred west middle class?"

it's a ridiculous question

class has nothing to dop with sexual asult. it may happen to be that middle class people are the poieple who have more free time to do assult in but it's not their income/profession that drives thier sex crimes

17. purenarcotic

purenarcotic Conveniently Pocket Sized

How much research into this have you done, Liam? You're making quite the statement there.

18. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

There was a follow on documentary because of a murder that happened when they were filming the first I think.

19. Frances Lengel

Frances Lengel Atrophied Member Banned

How does one state a question? Makes no sense that, lar. Mind you, the rest of your post is equally ludicrous.

20. Riklet

Riklet procrastinación

...of course there is a class and power dimension to people who prey upon street children and/or the most vulnerable in society.

isn't half the stuff coming out at the moment a reflection upon this? did powerful nonces go to Eton school to sexually abuse children or childrens' homes etc....

Smyz, LiamO and Frances Lengel like this.
  21. Don't be silly.

The people in the doco Liam is talking about are far more likely to be middle class than anything due to their access to resources and connections that help them prey on vulnerable young people in a way that is dependent on said access.

That does not mean that there are not other types of abuse as well - just that this is one type that it is worth studying in and of itself just as it's worth studying white working class lodgers or step fathers or whatever, and predominantly asian gangs in certain towns. We need to look at every aspect of abuse singally and collectively in order to understand the mechanisms that facilitate it - and to dismantle them.

Nylock, protesticals, Riklet and 4 others like this.
  22. bignose1

bignose1 Searchlight Spoiler

Im 99% certain I have this on vhs.

23. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

Really? Do expand. I don't want to mind-read what you mean and head off on a tangent, so I would appreciate it if you could be a little more specific.

24. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

If you would like to shape that into something coherent I would be happy to answer any specific points. I suspect though that you are mind-reading my intention and choosing to place a spin on my posts to suit your position.

25. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

Any chance you could convert it and put it on YouTube? If you can't do it, you could ask a young fella like Red Storm.

26. bignose1

Leave it wid me Liam. Im in Frome atm dont ask why. Back tmoz.

27. Why?

Greebo and bignose1 like this.
  28. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

Sorry. But all this nudge nudge shite seems a bit Walter to me

29. bignose1

Does it...well fuck off then....

LiamO likes this.
  30. bignose1

Nudge nudge shite...a bit walter...its a boring fucking story..Im in some fuckface town buying a van

Boycey, Greebo and LiamO like this.