1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seventy eight year old man dies after falling from scaffolding at work!

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by MrSki, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Pickman's model

Pickman's model funhouse thrills

must be the best decorated ladders in europe :cool:
    Cid, xenon and Badgers like this.
  2. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

Sorry about your friend,Bhamboy. It must be horrible for you and his sons.
  3. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

My dad would have been 78 now, he pretty much gave up on paid work in his late 50s :D he really couldn't be arsed anymore - that said, plenty of his generation continued working into their 70s in the building trade as they didn't make any provision for retirement, and also it was a very cash in hand industry up until the 90s really so they had fuck all state pensions either.
    Pickman's model and campanula like this.
  4. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

Most scaffolders are self employed, whether they work for a company or not!

The only way to fall from a scaffold, if you are using all safe procedures....etc. Unfortunately falls from height are the biggest killer of workers one instruction, and scaffolders are the most at risk, but also the group of workers who flout the rules more than any other group of workers.

I don't know why you'd think that, and I would say on a high refill job like this the likelihood of them using unqualified scaffolders is extremely low.

Rock dn a hard place innit! If the guy wanted to work and was fit, an employer would actually be breaking the law by not employing him. Of course if he wasn't fit to do the job then the employer needs shagging and hopefully will be once the HSE have finished their investigation. Although any court case is likely to be 3 years away, I can virtually guarantee that in that time the scaffold company will have gone into administration so there won't be any monies available for fines anyway.
  5. 1927

Sorry to hear about your mate, but I totally disagree with this statement.
    The truth is that 95% of accidents are caused by human behaviour., someone somewhere doing something they shouldn't or not doing something they should have.
  6. 1927

Looking at that photo of scaffolding I agree with you its a nightmare. Toe boards missing, hand rails missing, no internal fall protection. The steps are completely wrong, and Im not even sure they are meant to be steps the proportions are all wrong and theres a massive drop from bottom step, and as you pointed to no hand rails! Scaffolding company, and PC are in big trouble here I think.
  7. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

Indeed. Maybe the steps are actually for lifting glass panels, but then I can't see any other way up for the workforce, and even if they are for lifting they should be properly guarded. Very odd, and the boards littered on the floor look so unprofessional I wondered if that section was in the middle of being dismantled when work abruptly stopped.

I guess the HSE or inquest will get to the bottom of it. I hope someone will notice any reporting and come back here to tell us.
  8. 1927

As an aside, if you are ever tempted to go on a scaffold inspection course, don't! without doubt the most mindnumpingly boring 3 days of my life. One thing you learn is that if you inspected every scaffold to the letter of law and British standards, no scaffold would ever pass.
    newbie likes this.
  9. 1927

10. Bhamboy

Bhamboy New Member

Hello Celyn, yes it was a massive shock to say the least. And has been felt throughout the glass industry in the midlands as he was a well liked and well known fella. The HSE are now involved so any wrongdoings will Be brought to light if there were any. Thank you for your empathy.
    Celyn and cupid_stunt like this.
  11. Bhamboy

Bhamboy New Member

Yes as I said it was caused by a slip/trip. this is human error, but unless it was done intentionally it is still an accident.
  12. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

I think what's concerning people here is that while the slip/trip might have been an accident the scaf pictured does not look as though it has adequate safety features to help prevent a simple accident turning into a tragedy. But as I said upthread I'm not pointing fingers at the scaffolders, because that picture might not be involved in what happened, we have too little information to know.
  13. Bhamboy

Bhamboy New Member

I haven’t actually seen any pictures so I can’t comment on the scaffolding. I’m also in the same boat somewhat with lack of information. Time will tell.
  14. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

Its a tragic incident.

One thing for sure though is a slip or a trip should not lead to someone falling from a scaffold. H&S will be all over this and rightly so.
    crossthebreeze likes this.
  15. kalidarkone

kalidarkone Up to my knees in amniotic fluid

16. 1927

You miss the point. If the correct controls are in place a simple slip trip or fall won’t cause a fatality!
  17. 1927

That’s an easy one! If he fell though a roof there were obviously no controls in place to prevent it! Employer or contractor are bang to rights and I fully expect a prosecution to follow.