1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seventy eight year old man dies after falling from scaffolding at work!

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by MrSki, Mar 7, 2018.

1. MrSki

MrSki Who am I to say you're wrong

2. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

Even being self employed he could have felt forced to work/go up there...so many can't afford to retire already. This is only going to get worse.
    Mation, Eggby, existentialist and 4 others like this.
  3. MrSki

78 and up scaffolding!!! I refuse to go up step ladders at work & I am in my very early 50s. I have got a dodgy hip but sending a 78 year old up scaffolding! They might as well had a fucking noose waiting for him.
    Poi E likes this.
  4. cyril_smear

cyril_smear Well-Known Member

The other question is HOW did he fall from a scaffolding?

Was he erecting the scaffold or working on an erected scaffold? If the latter I think somebody will be getting into a bit of trouble.... unless he was flouting h&s.

The only way to fall from a scaffolding is either whilst scaling ladders(depending on the type of scaff) or by doing something a bit "daring".

Sad news however.
  5. 8ball

8ball I am Spasticus

Bit early to judge, may have been a very fit old fella who had a slip or some kind of episode.
    My Mum has a hard time keeping my 70 year old Dad from going up ladders etc.
  6. MrSki

My old man at 70 used to go up ladders but by 78 he was not fit for purpose.
    Don't the fire brigade stop ladder work at 50? I can't believe anyone thinks a 78 year old could be up a scaffold unless it was in a rescue situation. I can understand a 78 year old accountant but not a fucking scaffolder.
    Eggby likes this.
  7. MrSki

According to the article he was fitting a large glass window.
  8. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

9. MrSki

Although very sad, I can understand a pensioner working as a security guard. What shocks me about the opening post is that a 78 year old was expected to be fitting a window up scaffolding. Maybe I am over reacting & there are loads of 78 year olds running up & down scaffolds but I have never seen any.
  10. cyril_smear

cyril_smear Well-Known Member

It's sad, and of that there is no doubt. We know nothing about why this elderly chap was working. Some seniors work because they actually want to.

Unfortunately this sounds like somebody who has acquired a bit of tube and thinks they know how to do a scaff.
  11. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Never Mind That, It’s Time For the Bus!...

At my age I’m still on occasion expected to climb up to 100 feet up a vertical ladder for crane maintenance, though I have a lot of lanyards and harnessing to rely on. I think in the next year or two it will have to stop. I cannot see me being able to do it in another 18 months never mind 18 years!
    Poi E likes this.
  12. MrSki

Unless it was his company or was self employed, I hope the fucker that sent a 78 year old up any scaffolding gets his/her shite from the HSE & gets done for it. I have no problem with a 78 year old working in a bookshop but scaffolding!!! I still can't believe it.
  13. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

My 83 year old dad bought himself a tower scaffold last year. I think he decided if he was going to be clambering about on the roof anyway he might as well.

Bold move seeing as he had to shimmy down a massive collapsing scaffold in Edinburgh a few decades ago.

My dad isn't forced to do it though. If anything we try to discourage him....
  14. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Thanks to successive governments ignoring the pension crisis until it was too late to do anything... we'll all be working past 78 before we can retire.
    8ball, Poi E and Sprocket. like this.
  15. dessiato

dessiato Maholo e ke akua no kei la

Apart from the fact this man died I think there's things to consider here.

Was he physically fit enough for the job?
    Was he mentally fit enough? Early onset Alzheimer/dementia?
    Was he working because he wanted to, or was he obliged to? If he was obliged to, why?
    Who allowed him to go up the scaffolding? At this age it has to be a questionable decision to let him go/send him up.

These alongside the questions about the safety of the scaffolding itself .

I hope to be fit to work as long as I want to. But I teach. I think I'm less likely to be killed as a result of an accident at work though.
    moochedit, tim, cupid_stunt and 2 others like this.
  16. PippinTook

PippinTook Well-Known Member

Was just thinking.. my 79 year old dad is always up ladders and working away ... you couldn't get him to sit down for a minute. In fact he refused to sit for long.
    Age isn't always a sign of physical weakness or inability to do certain things....

I do hope though that this man wasn't being made go up on scaffolding by an employer.
  17. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

the scaf shown in the newspaper report lacks guard rails, even on the steps. It's frightening, I don't know if it's more dangerous to work where there is no kickboard or where there is one but without a rail so it just presents a giant trip hazard. tbf though, it looks a bit like it's halfway through being removed, so maybe it's not the actual lift he was working on.

Is ageism justified? We don't know the circumstances of this poor bloke, but I think the assumption he was somehow forced to go up there is a bit off. Until it's shown that he was a victim of modern slavery and gangmasters the position must be that he was a grown adult with as much agency as any other, not somehow vulnerable because of his age. tbh for all we know he was in charge of the operation! In any event his position is the same as any other adult worker, for an employer to refuse to engage him or force him off the scaffolding because of his age would be a matter for the courts.

Fact is a window fitter of whatever age should not fall off scaffolding because the risk assessment, design and construction should ensure it doesn't happen. It does though, working at height is dangerous and a few people die each year from falls, including scaffolders- one of the more dangerous jobs. Window fitting from scaffolding shouldn't be dangerous. His age makes the story newsworthy but shouldn't be automatically considered as a factor in his death. If he could fall off so could anyone else.
  18. Sasaferrato

Sasaferrato T'agba ta ti de, a ma yo ogunja.

I am your dad! I've lost count over the years of the 'Heath-Robinson' contraptions I've rigged to do various things. I still go into the loft by hauling myself up through the hatch, whilst balanced on the top rail of a stepladder. :D

It is 20' from the hall floor to the ceiling, the last time I painted it I used kitchen stools and planks to make a makeshift scaffolding. It worked, but I won't be doing it again.
    tim and Pickman's model like this.
  19. Sasaferrato

Working at height has always been dangerous, and it doesn't take huge height to kill or seriously injure someone. Before we demolished the old railway station in Fort William, we had guys up removing the lead, one fell and fractured both femurs and his pelvis, he only fell ten feet.
  20. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

If you ever watch 24 hours in A & E pretty much every episode includes some old bloke who's fallen off a ladder or a roof or something. I don't know the ins and outs of this story but I wouldn't assume he was up there because he absolutely had to be for some reason. Male pride not allowing ourselves to believe we are not 25 any more is a strong thing.

From a health & safety aspect this looks like a total shit show, that scaffold is a mess.
  21. Sasaferrato

It is indeed. Since I retired, well since the beginning of this year, I exercise five days a week. I'm just off to the swimming pool, I go Tues and Thurs, and the gym Mon, Wed and Fri with Mrs Sas. I'm fitter than I've been in decades. :D
    squirrelp likes this.
  22. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

are those people DIYers or fitters working from proper scaffolding after CSCS training and an audit trail of risk assessments? Using a ladder to get on to the first lift is an identifiable risk, which should be mitigated sfap, but otherwise working from ladders is fundamentally banned on many sites, because they're too dangerous. Falling from properly signed off scaffolding should be very rare and caused by either some freak occurrance or negligence/carelessness. And I'm not pointing a finger at the scaffolders on the basis of that photo.

There's no more news reports yet and might not be any more detail until the inquest.

bolded bit, he'd travelled from Brum to work there, it was his job.
  23. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

I work in construction myself so I know all about the CSCS aspect and H&S. You'd never catch me on a dodgy scaffold or up an unsecured ladder.

To answer your question they are usually ex-industry types helping out relations or friends or doing DIY or just small contractors, probably like this fella.
    Pickman's model likes this.
  24. HoratioCuthbert

HoratioCuthbert It's only silence failing

People often don't start appearing frail til they pass 80 at least. And I work in God's waiting room ;)
  25. Numbers

Numbers an ting!

Me Ma's brother is 78 and I've never met a stronger or fitter man in my life outside of professional sports. He was a scaffolder from the age of 10 when he started as a helper and only stopped when he was 70 and even then it was because he moved up to a sleepy village in Scotland with his missus, still grumbling there's no work for him. He thatched his own roof last year, paints, does all sorts and would do more if he could.
  26. Bhamboy

Bhamboy New Member

I’d like to clear a few things up here, I knew the victim very well, friends for more than 20 years in fact. The Mans name was Archie and he was working with his 2 sons glazing the go outdoors branch in the cribbs causeway retail park.
    It may be easy to ask why a 78 year old man was undertaking such a task but if you knew him you’d know that this is what he’s done for the past 50 years. He started his own glazing company in the 70s and then passed it to his sons when he took semi retirement a few years back. He was the kind of guy you couldn’t hold down. Fully active and fit and wasn’t the kind to sit at home all day so would often help out here and there. What happened was a terrible accident caused by a slip at the wrong time. Yes with the help of hindsight there will always be questions asked as to what could’ve helped avoid it, the truth is no matter how many h&s measures are put in place that accidents can still occur. Such a tradgedy. Rip Oldun. See you down the road.
  27. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

Thankyou. My condolences for your loss.
    cupid_stunt and Badgers like this.
  28. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

My old man is 78 next Monday, self employed, climbing up trees with chainsaws and such. Painted the whole outside of his house on ladders last year.
  29. not a trot

not a trot Well-Known Member

I just wish mine was still around . Died aged 74. He'd be tearing his hair out over this fucking government.
    Badgers likes this.
  30. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Why not just get some suitable stepladders?
    dessiato, cupid_stunt and Badgers like this.