Sent on to a pre-employability course that I have completed before

Discussion in 'benefits and housing' started by Luce900, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Luce900

Luce900 New Member

So I have just gone back to UC after a temp job came to an end, my job coach said a course involving sales has come up and there was also a job interview at the end of it so I said I was interested, I went to the pre assessment and was told it is a course that I have already completed last time I was on UC also on top of that the tutor said there is no job interview at the end!

I rang my jobcoach but he was not in but I spoke to someone from my jobcentre and they said it is mandatory and she was not interested in me already gaining the qualification before.

I would happily do this course if it wasn't something I had already completed and got the qualification for, do I really have to do this all over again? It is a huge waste of my time.

2. ice-is-forming

ice-is-forming Well-Known Member

I don't know but it sounds ridiculous, can you even do the same qualification twice? I would be brushing up my self advocacy skills and waiting to speak with my own job coach when they return.

Someone who knows more will be along soon :)

3. Tankus

Tankus living someone else's dream.

jesus

4. girasol

girasol Ubuntu

Record all conversations and go along with the charade, see where it leads... Then write to your MP/press with results.

5. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

It sounds like the people giving the course might be useful allies if you don't want to do the course again. Could you persuade one of them to contact your job coach.

There are sometimes useful courses, when I was unemployed there was if I recall correctly a Prince2 course (is that right?) anyhow people reportedly got jobs after doing it in that field, for some reason I couldn't do it.

It does seem silly asking you to do a course that you have already done.

6. Luce900

Luce900 New Member

Thanks for the replies! It starts tomorrow so I am going to go and start it and try and get onto the jobcentre after.

I am going to speak to the tutor tomorrow and see what she suggests to do. I am always up for things like this if it means improving my chances of work and getting more on my cv, but to do the same course for the same certificate I already have seems very pointless!

7. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Sweetcorn, Seagulls and Wasps are Brilliant!

It does sound daft to expect you to do a course you've already done Luce900 - but your approach seems sensible, and I hope you get something sorted out with the job centre.

8. Luce900

Luce900 New Member

This is exactly what I was thinking! :confused:

Thank you! I'm not going to shout and moan at them, I'll just show them the certificate of completion and I will ask if there is another course I could do in place of this one.

If they did say I still have to do it I was thinking of taking a risk and just not attending and appeal any sanction given to me, it says I could be sanctioned if I do not attend 'without good reason', I feel having the qualification already is a good enough reason :hmm:

9. farmerbarleymow

Never underestimate the pettiness of DWP. But you're within your rights to expect a reason why you have to do the course again, given the circumstances. Repeatedly sending people on a course is a waste of public funds, besides wasting your time too.

10. Chilli.s

Chilli.s changed the little words

[QUOTE Repeatedly sending people on a course is a waste of public funds, besides wasting your time too.[/QUOTE]
    That should be a good enough reason, do staff higher up the management chain know about this waste of money.

11. farmerbarleymow

I suspect the contracts are based on either bulk volumes or something similar, so it may not even be something that is monitored by DWP. Could be an interesting FOI request if anyone fancies asking the question...

AnnO'Neemus and Chilli.s like this.
  12. Luce900

Luce900 New Member

Oh yes I know what they can be like!

Well I'm off to do the first day, lets see where I get with the job centre/job coach about this situation :facepalm:

13. dessiato

dessiato Looking for my shopping trolley

Good luck.

14. Argonia

Argonia Happy go licky

Wouldn't risk getting a sanction and then relying on appealing it but I can see why you can't be bothered doing something you've already done. Good luck with it.

AnnO'Neemus likes this.
  15. girasol

girasol Ubuntu

Back in the very early 90s I was sent on an unemployment course that was indeed useful. 3 month business nvq, Old Street. The most important thing I learned there was how to touch type (in one of the old electric type writers!), towards the end of the 3 month period they'd send people on a week placement and after that getting a job as office admin was easy. After that it only took 18 months for me to realise I should be doing a degree instead, but at least in the meantime I was doing a relatively well paid job. Plus touch typing is a life skill I still use to this day. You can say it did change my life, because during the second job as office admin I found that, while working with computers, I had the kind mind that would make a good software engineer.

16. Argonia

Argonia Happy go licky

I think they sent people on more useful courses back in the past but now tend to send people on loop jumping exercises that don't really advance your job skills.

17. farmerbarleymow

Same here girasol - I went on one of those courses at the same time - perhaps 92/93 or so. Touch typing was the best thing I got from it.

girasol likes this.
  18. Argonia

Argonia Happy go licky

Having said what I said earlier, I was sent on a pretty useful proofreading course by the jobcentre which was actually quite helpful so I shouldn't be too dismissive of their efforts.

19. ice-is-forming

ice-is-forming Well-Known Member

Good luck tbh unless it's a qualifications that you have to renew every few years, then I can't even see how you could do the same qualification twice if you passed it the first time. Like obvious waste of life, money and hope..but the dole so dodgy as fuck. Surely it'd be cheating because you already know the answers :hmm:

20. Luce900

Luce900 New Member

So an update! You guys were right, you can't do the same qualification twice :rolleyes: I took my certificate with me to prove I had already done it and the tutor said straight away I was not allowed to do the course, but the course provider have offered me an interview for a company they have going in next week to make up for wasting my time, so tbh it has not been all bad :D

Just need to get hold of my job coach but trying to phone is literally impossible to get through to them, hopefully they can't sanction me!

21. farmerbarleymow

That's good news Luce900 - and good luck with the interview. :cool:

Fingers crossed the job centre behave with common sense over this.

22. Luce900

Luce900 New Member

Thank you! Hopefully I get it the job and won't have to worry about UC anymore!

Yes you would expect them to understand, you would think they would check if the person is eligible to do the course before sending them to it. Very lazy!

farmerbarleymow and Argonia like this.
  23. Argonia

Argonia Happy go licky

Was this sorted in the end, luce900?

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  24. farmerbarleymow

Yeah, it would be good to know if everything was resolved for Luce900 and the interview led to a job. :)

Argonia likes this.
  25. Luce900

Luce900 New Member

Hey, thanks for the messages, sadly I did not get the job, got all the way through to the last stage but didn't make the cut :( oh well I won't give up!

On the UC/sanction side of things, I never heard back, rang UC they sent an e-mail to my job coach to ring me but he never did and also left a message in my journal.

If I was going to be sanctioned would I be told? Letter or email? or would they just freeze it? Been nearly over 2 weeks and heard nothing, not due back into jobcentre until 22nd ( hopefully have a job by then!) and jobcentre never ring me back!

farmerbarleymow and Argonia like this.
  26. Argonia

Argonia Happy go licky