Selling Wembley

Discussion in 'football' started by binka, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Foot's on the other hand

Money to grassroots football.

Because that's what is missing from the game (And stopping it filter down), excess cash.

2. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

3. hash tag

hash tag never too old

Where would Chelsea go?
    Who cares?

4. hash tag

hash tag never too old

Wasnt the Costa Rica match at Elland Road last night in front of a relatively small crowd but with a great atmosphere?
    Who needs Wembley?

5. bromley

bromley ...isn't as good as Lewisham.

:facepalm:

6. binka

binka !!!!!!!!!

If Wembley is sold then all future England home games will still be played there - the point was made that the FA will retain 'club wembley' hospitality and the FA won't make as much money from it at any other stadium

7. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

I thought it was a perfectly valid question.

8. hash tag

hash tag never too old

I really think it's great seeing the national team around the country. Not so London centric for a change and will give many many more kids the chance to see England play because they woulnd't need to woory about hours f travelling and the cost.

9. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

All these points about the crowd at Leeds and England should travel more are absolutely spot on but are reasons why Wembley should never have been re-built in the first place. It was obvious after they knocked the first Wembley down that there was no need to replace it but apparently 'England need a national stadium'.

Now of a sudden someone is offering to take it off their hands for far less than they spent building and running it it's 'a great opportunity for English football'. Well why didn't they just use that money more wisely in the first place.

I've been in and around businesses when big acquisitions take place and it is always massively ker-ching time for the senior officials who make the deal. Make no mistake the sole reason the FA are keen on the idea is snouts in the trough.

hash tag and Dr. Furface like this.
  10. binka

binka !!!!!!!!!

11. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

It's useful as a temp stadium, Spurs, and maybe Chelsea in future. And for big sport events like NFL etc and for massive gigs.

Location wise it sucks though. As others have correctly pointed out, Cardiff is a way better stadium.

editor likes this.
  12. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

shit for late trains back though. And more expensive. If you're in Northern England at least, haven't checked elsewhere.

SpookyFrank likes this.
  13. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Not really the stadium’s fault.
    People keep telling Arriva trains and GWR to put extra trains on they’ll make a killing but they tend to ask the stadium event hosts to pay towards it, who reply “What for? You’ll make a killing charging fares. No.”
    So it never happens.
    Stupid really.

14. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

What
    a
    very odd
    post.

15. butchersapron

Go on put on more trains. You'll make a killing.

16. butchersapron

"the stadium event hosts"

17. Gromit

e.g. The WRU, The FA, The FAW, The Premiership, Generic music artist Productions etc.

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Most of the big games are in the daytime. I would have thought it would be hard to work out meaningful comparison fares given the labyrinth of deals available. Personally, I'd would rather travel to Cardiff to south London for a big game than Wembley. It wouldn't take that much longer and every aspect of the day would be more enjoyable for me.

19. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I know everything from land to labour to wages is significantly higher cost in the UK than in Portugal. But I still remember with fondness a stat about the stadia building cost comparison between new Wembley and the Portuguese, who around the same time were preparing to host the Euros.

They managed to completely rebuild or heavily refurbish seven stadia for £350m. Wembley was twice as much.

Life in Portugal is cheaper, but nowhere near 14 times cheaper, which is how many grounds they would have got with Wembley’s budget. Or even 10, if we want to be fair and allow for Wembley’s bigger size.

20. Gromit

Principality: £121mil. 3 years to build. Finished on time.

Wembley: £789mil. 5 years to build. Didn't finish on time.

20% larger but paid 650% the price. Bargain lol!

mx wcfc likes this.
  21. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

and the Welsh got a roof.

22. mx wcfc

I'm with you on this. I used to work 200 yards from Wembley and did go to a few internationals at that time. I was always impressed with the numbers who turned up from far afield compared to Londoners there. Fair play, and playing games around the country while New Wembley was being built was great for football fans, esp families who could afford a game for a change.

I think a lot of the opposition to the sale was based on incredulity that any of the money would actually have found it's way down to grass roots. If I'd thought that, in reality, Winchester City would have got a 3D pitch out of a sale (and not just us) I would have been enthusiastic - but that was never going to happen.

23. Gromit

Costs us alot to open it though.
    20 minutes and five fifty pees in the meter (£2.54).

mx wcfc likes this.
  24. mx wcfc

I went there for a Reading play off final (2000?), we lost against Walsall, ffs, so I hate the place though it is a decent stadium.

25. Gromit

That idea is why the English FA originally said nah we don't need a national stadium.

Then when one after another FA Cups went to Cardiff. I do wonder at the dented hubris that caused and resulted in a £780 million oh we changed our minds.

mx wcfc likes this.
  26. Mr Retro

Mr Retro Beware hedgehogs

I think the Millenium Stadium is the best stadium in the world. I will be bringing my daughter there for her first international earl next year :cool:

Why did the FA build the new Wembley in the first place? England has so many top class stadiums around the country the national team should alternate playing in them and make it easier for more people to see England play. Seems like a waste of the guts of £billion to me.

editor likes this.
  27. mx wcfc

No arguing with that,

Rugby League manages well without its own national stadium too.

For me, for that money, plus the proceeds of the sale of land at Twickenham and Wembley, we could have built an accessible stadium in the midlands somewhere, by a railway line and close to motorways, with a moving roof and pitches as a true national stadium for Football, Rugby League and Union (and gigs etc). Lack of vision, entrenched views of the major English sports authorities and London-centricism. and hopeless cost controls around the building of new Wembley.

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

And this pretty much nails it:

What makes a great football stadium?

29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The comments from the article are good too: