Question SD Card backups when travelling

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by sim667, Nov 2, 2018.

1. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Has anyone seen any devices that allow backups for SD cards when travelling?

I'm going away soon, and whilst I can cope if my camera were to get pinched, I'm worried about losing my shots...... I don't really want to take a laptop, so does anyone have any suggestions?

2. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

3. sim667

4. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Bit of a dilemma. In my mind I’d want to cover my hotel room getting ransacked as well. Which would be worse than just losing the single days photos from the camera.

But I don’t think you can cover for that without interwebs other than having copies of the photos always on you phyiscally at all times as well as in the room.

5. sim667

I mean thats a possibility, but I'm more concerned about snatch and run on the camera predominantly.

6. Lazy Llama

Lazy Llama Suburban robots that monitor reality

7. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Or have a series of relatively small SD cards, each large enough for one day's shooting, and change cards each day. You can easily get 16GB SDs for about £5 each, or 32GB for <£10. Keep a couple of empty ones in your pocket in case you go over.

Pickman's model likes this.
  8. sim667

That looks cool..... similar to what I was thinking about a couple of posts up... Was there any restrictions on file types? As I'll be wanting to back up raw files.

9. sim667

I'll end up losing them.... I'm rubbish with lots of little bits.

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've tried all manner of back up devices, but I find my cheapo Chromebook + SD cards + cloud back up to the best way to go. The Chromebook I use (Asus C101 FS002) is cheap, super light and it's handy having a decent device for browsing when I'm on the move.

hendo and Pickman's model like this.
  11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

sim667 likes this.
  12. Lazy Llama

Lazy Llama Suburban robots that monitor reality

It was a long time ago and it was a different make/model, but at the time I think it just copied all the files on the card to a folder on the HD when you pressed a button. That was it.

sim667 likes this.
  13. sim667

Its still about 3 x what I was hoping to spend.

I'm wondering if there's a device that can coppy from SD straight to thumb drive using a phone or an ipad as the interface.

14. salem

salem Well-Known Member

That dongle cybershot linked to has USB and SD support, I'd be surprised if it can support both at the same time (which would be ideal) but if you had some space on your phone you could SD > phone > USB

15. sim667

My SD card is 256GB, so if it was full I wouldn't be able to.... :(

Really all i need is a pi type device with USB and an SD reader, that I could run rclone on.

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You could probably pick up another Chromebook for half the price, but it was worth it for me for the security of being able to see the images being saved and upload them into the cloud.

17. sim667

I just really don't want to cart around a laptop.... I've got an idea for something to try out, so I'll give it a go and report back.

editor likes this.
  18. sim667

So I bought the rav filehub and whilst I haven't used it in anger yet, I've been playing with it and testing it out.

I can stick an SD in one slot and a usb drive in the other and copy backward and forward, I've also downloaded films and TV shows and can stream them direct to my iPad from the USB stick, so for what I need it looks good.

It does only support fat16, fat32 and NTFS which has caused me problems, but I've tried it with exfat too and it seems to work, despite not mentioning that in the documentation.

So for £50-60 it seems a good little back up option, plus you can charge devices, run a LAN into it and I guess you'd be able to set it up to Chromecast as you can make it piggyback on other WiFi networks too.

editor and Lazy Llama like this.
  19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Where did you get it for £50?

Oops - found it here for £40
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076M3X2GR/ref=asc_df_B076M3X2GR57265502/

If they did a version with a built in drive for a bit more I could be tempted!

sim667 likes this.
  20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

21. sim667

The good thing for me, is that because both me and my partner want to use it we can have different backups. Also if we ever did a long trip, we could buy USB sticks as we needed them.