1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Scottish income tax changes unveiled"

Discussion in 'Scotland/Alba' started by danny la rouge, Dec 14, 2017.

1. danny la rouge

danny la rouge This is definitely the darkest timeline

The BBC reports:

"The Scottish government has announced income tax changes that will see higher earners pay more than elsewhere in the UK - and lower earners pay less.

The country's finance secretary, Derek Mackay, announced a new tax band of 21p for those earning more than £24,000.

The higher rate of tax will be increased from 40p to 41p and the top rate from 45p to 46p.
    But a starter rate of 19p in the pound will also be introduced, Mr Mackay confirmed in his draft budget.

Mr Mackay said the move will mean no one earning less than £33,000 in Scotland will pay more tax."

Scottish income tax changes unveiled

teuchter and Celyn like this.
  2. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

Those canny Scots have better mental arithmetic than I, obviously. 21%, 41%, 19% — wholesome things to multiply by!

muscovyduck and danny la rouge like this.
  3. danny la rouge

danny la rouge This is definitely the darkest timeline

It's to do with the extent of the new powers transfered last year. But yes, it's giving me a headache already.

muscovyduck and littlebabyjesus like this.
  4. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

I was about to ask, why such a little tweak. Baby steps, though.

5. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

Nicola Sturgeon tweeted this helpful table
    DRBLIUmWkAEIgwh.jpeg
    That's 90 quid a year less tax each for me and my partner, and no-one earning under £33,000 paying more
    Sounds good to me.

6. geminisnake

geminisnake a complex mass of conflicting ideas

I'm sorry but if you're on £33k you can surely afford that increase? Sound reasonable to me also. I'm not sure I know many that will be worse off!

7. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

Well, it should stop some of the bitching from the SNP's opponents that they are not using their powers sufficiently (although the changes are just the sort of tinkering that typify a solidly middle of the road party.)

8. Sunset Tree

Sunset Tree Well-Known Member

I hear this a lot from SNP critics. They have tax powers but don't use them, so how can they be committed to tackling inequality? The response would usually be that it's not practical while still in the UK or something. Pleasantly surprised to see this being done, even if it's quite a small increase.

9. Poi E

Probably the least radical party in the UK at the moment.

HoratioCuthbert likes this.
  10. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

Which Tory and Labour policies are you particularly pleased with?

geminisnake likes this.
  11. Poi E

None.

Yes!:)

12. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

I have a feeling I'm missing a joke here, and I will soon feel stupid*, but given that you reckon the SNP is "probably the least radical party in the UK at the moment", which Tory or Labour or LibDem policies would you like it to adopt?

*er than usual. :D

13. Poi E

My view is that the simple holding power and being competent in administration in the face of an onslaught of opposed media and larger political parties is an achievement. Hopefully, the one lesson the SNP might take from 2014 is that it does not need to be a vanguard party for independence, but it is, of course, the most likely vehicle for it. Education has been a minefield but 'twas ever thus for all parties. Land reform has perhaps been viewed as disappointing but the vast private interests and the weight of centuries of feudal tenure is a force to be reckoned with. Nicola Sturgeon is the most competent politician in the country. Ending right to buy a very good thing.

Just random musings.

Celyn likes this.
  14. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

Damn, I was almost kind of masochistically looking forward to the grand punchline, stupid feelings for the making of, but yeah. :) Land rights reform, bloody hell, there's so very very much to be done, but you are so right about the weight of centuries of extremely bad stuff. (btw, Andy Wightman, Green MSP, is a hero).

Education? Well, my nieces are able to go university without paying tuition fees, and if they had gone to school in Godalming or Gateshead rather than Glen Urquhart or Glasgow that would not be the case. There have been recent newspaper articles (actually, there always are) about what percentage of pupils from "deprived" backgrounds go on to university, and indeed to which universities they go, in that some universities are more highly thought of than others. That, I fear, is an ongoing problem in all parts of the U.K., and I do note that you say "but 'twas ever thus for all parties". It's a bit horrible, and all places really have to try harder.

Oh YES!
    Random musings are the seed and beginning of everything. :thumbs:

Random thing vaguely re. land ownership issues etc. - I only last week learned that 7:84's "The Cheviot, the Stag, and the Black Black Oil" is now available on DVD, so have bought one and look forward to watching it with my Dad when I next visit him.

geminisnake and Poi E like this.
  15. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

It will be interesting to see how this pans out in the context of a possible future left wing Labour government in Westminster.

Income tax was over 90% at the time of the Wilson government.

I reckon it is a brave and welcome step by the SNP.

16. Poi E

If Corbyn knows what's good for him one of the first things he should do is call a constitutional convention.

17. Poi E

18. geminisnake

geminisnake a complex mass of conflicting ideas

I'm not sure there is much to say about Mr Leonard that is polite. He is a proven liar who seems to spout as much shite as any other SLab leader in many years :( The demise of SLab does genuine sadden me

pogofish likes this.
  19. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

Yep, he really doesn't seem to know what he's doing, or to know much at all. Corbyn's ignorance re. Scotland was disappointing, but this Richard Leonard has no excuse.

Then again, he need not worry too much if news media are happy to publish his dimwitterings unchallenged.

geminisnake and Poi E like this.
  20. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

Yes, for what was once a damn good idea that now only succeeds in spinning its founders in their graves.

geminisnake likes this.
  21. Poi E

Scot Lab has a pathological hatred of the SNP that shows an unwarranted sense of entitlement.

geminisnake likes this.