Scan a homeless person?

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by Jeff Robinson, Aug 9, 2018.

1. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

Terry in the video looked incredibly uncomfortable with it all to say the least, moral qualms aside this doesn't strike me as all that well thought out an idea.
    I don't think many homeless people would be keen to sign up for a scheme where they beg for money for someone else to decide how its spent and enables their location to be tracked, many of these people actively want to disappear.
    What happens if the QR code is lost or stolen? It seems to me that it would be a high value target for the lowlifes that prey on the homeless, i can see the codes being nicked and then used to try and obtain money fraudently from whoever is managing it. The homeless are a group who find it hard to prove their identity anyway and impersonating them is probably dead easy.
    And this is a good point it won't take long for someone to realise this, get themselves a fake QR code and have off with someone's latest smartphone, this only needs to happen 2 or 3 times to undermine the whole scheme.

ddraig, moochedit, Chilli.s and 3 others like this.
  2. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

I'm struggling to see a single positive thing about this idea. And the idea of making homelessness a commodity and limiting homeless peoples' agency says something very unpleasant about our society's basic humanity. Fucking gross.

3. Jeff Robinson

Jeff Robinson Well-Known Member

Yes, which is why I’m not in principle against a mechanism to allow for electronic payments to individual homeless people but in practice there are troubling issues about how this would be done and by whom. The pilot scheme in Oxford is certainly not encouraging.

4. Jeff Robinson

Jeff Robinson Well-Known Member

Yes, this is probably the most worrying aspect of it.

5. iona

iona toxic clown

Begging is actually illegal (under the Vagrancy Act 1824 iirc) too so how the fuck does that work?

Chilli.s, eatmorecheese and Fez909 like this.
  6. Nylock

Nylock I hate 'these days'...

Flesh it out and send it off to the black mirror writing team!

If the begging was along the lines of 'Please don't send me off to work on the trans-antarctic railway...' :D

likesfish, Fez909 and Pickman's model like this.
  7. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

they need not fear that, they will be digging canals on south georgia.

A380, likesfish and Nylock like this.
  8. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

So this disruptor cunt should be done for facilitating crime :thumbs:

likesfish likes this.
  9. keybored

keybored ㋛̶̶̵̙̜̝̖̝̭̎̀̔̌̕

It'll snooker those fuckers who walk past mumbling about having no change while staring into their latest iPhone.

10. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

i've often thought how shit the pickings begging must be these days when an increasing number of people carry no cash.

11. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

Yeah, I rarely have change on me these days.

Pickman's model likes this.
  12. Chilli.s

Chilli.s Well-Known Member

loose change is specifically to give to homeless. That's reason enough to carry some.

keybored likes this.
  13. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

Some cash is essential even today, the network playing up isn't going to stop you spending a £10 note.
    But there are loads of reasons to carry change.
    Car Parking
    Taxis
    Small Purchases I can't imagine using a card to buy a bar of chocolate for example.
    Tipping, whilst I usually pay for food by card, I flatly refuse to add a tip via the machine since I doubt the wait staff are ever going to see it.
    Give to someone else, beggars if I feel sorry for them, buskers if they're any good and charity tin rattlers if I think it is a worthy cause

keybored and Chilli.s like this.
  14. Teaboy

See here is the thing. And I'm talking about London here because that's where I live.

Parking - All done by apps
    Taxis - Uber etc
    Small purchases - Just tap away, in fact increasingly I'm seeing places that say 'card only' because they don't want the hassle that cash brings.
    Tipping - That's done by notes due to the cost of eating out etc

Add this to the fact a lot of prices are round up to the nearest 50P means even when I pay in cash I don't get much back in change. Cash is fast disappearing from my life and not in the way it normally did.

15. moochedit

moochedit Mr Mooched It

some restaurants let you add a tip into a card payment, although i think i remember a story where a union said a chain was taking a cut out of the staff's "tips" when paid by card.

16. Teaboy

Yeah that goes straight into the company coffers, if the poor sod who has served you is lucky they may get a few percent of it. Always try and tip in cash I reckon.

moochedit likes this.
  17. moochedit

moochedit Mr Mooched It

18. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

moochedit likes this.
  19. eatmorecheese

eatmorecheese massaged in hot chocolate

There's a YouTube video (can't find it) showing a beggar in an unnamed city in India offering a card reader to a punter that claimed they didn't have cash...

Where does this go? As cash becomes scarcer, will those who offer cash as payment be stigmatised as potentially dodgy?

moochedit likes this.
  20. moochedit

moochedit Mr Mooched It

Well if true i would think he would get caught pretty quickly unless he has an convincing explanation of what they were paying him for.

Actually was just thinking that since i gave up weed i think the only thing i use cash for now is the sandwich van that comes to my work place.

21. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

Not the same but they did this in Cardiff on a shop front on busy street
    some people asked how much it cost and who was getting paid
    It wasn't there that long and bit of a song and dance was made about it

22. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Wow that sounds like the kind of thing I get to read for real in my occasional day job. I rarely have the stomach even to listen politely these days. Your effort is worthy of the shiniest #tech4good #socialinnovation award

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    likesfish and Fez909 like this.
  23. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

I don't trust them at all, I have asked and been told "Yeah it goes straight to Joe's salary" but I just don't believe it, not least because someone would have to create a way to tie up the card payment with a specific bill
    and having written code for similar systems I know how much work would actually be involved. I suspect even where it is returned to the servers, it just calculates a ball park figure per restaurant based on sales.
    Middle daughter did some waitressing when she was a student and she told me all tips went into a jar that got shared out equitably between kitchen and wait staff.
    If the staff want to share their tips then it should be something they've agreed amongst themselves not something devised by a bean counter at Head Office and implemented by some disinterested programmer.
    When we eat out I alway carry enough cash to leave a tip if I want. Mostly do but sometimes don't if I think the waiter is an arse.
    Generally tipping is a good idea most of the time, last time we went to Stratford, Mrs MickiQ forgot her scarf and I had to go back and ask for it after about 30 mins, They had put it to one side for us, I suspect that if I hadn't tipped properly they would have just denied all knowledge.

A380 likes this.
  24. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

This is yet another reason why tipping is bullshit.

Why should the chef not be able to get tips? If the front of house staff decide they don't want to share, then the chef gets nothing, even though a lot of people might be tipping for the quality of the food, rather than the service.

I hate tipping, it should fuck right off. Pay your staff properly, and if that means charging more, so be it.

25. moochedit

moochedit Mr Mooched It

Yeah just been reading this article below about the issue of people not carrying any change anymore.It is definately going to be an increasing problem. :(

Cashless Society: Spare change is dying, and the UK's homeless people are worried | WIRED UK

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Jeff Robinson likes this.
  26. Sasaferrato

Sasaferrato T'agba ta ti de, a ma yo ogunja.

© George Orwell.

moochedit and A380 like this.