Save Lambeth Libraries and the Carnegie Library occupation

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by save_r_library, Nov 4, 2015.

1. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Got into a conversation yesterday with a Lambeth Labour councillor in a pub in Clapham (as one does).
    He and his friend were delightful - but what struck me (since I initiated the conversation by making a challenging remark about the libraries) was that the councillor is a true believer in the GLL deal. No ifs, no buts. Almost like a vicar running the Alpha course.

I'm wondering what can be done now - except wait and see what happens. I don't see any change from the current councillors - short of Momentum engineering mass de-selections. Even then what is Momentum's policy on libraries?

It appears from what has been said in postings above that the current Labour council's policy on Carnegie is to get in so deep to the GLL transfer and building work that it is impossible to cancel. Back in 1992 that type of reckless behaviour might have been referred to as "corruption".

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Cllr Andy Wilson insists that locals wanted the gym in the Carengie

Gramsci likes this.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

He's swallowed the BS whole:

6. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

You put a good question. I took part in the consultation on the future of "cultural services 2020".

At no point were people asked about gym/ libraries.

This is good reason why Lambeth shouldn't become the Mayor's "Borough of Culture".

editor likes this.
  7. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Andy Wilson - deluded twat.

Tricky Skills likes this.
  8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

9. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Tricky Skills likes this.
  10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Sigh...

Gramsci likes this.
  11. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Latest in the letterbox leaflet parade

Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 14.08.21.jpg

Gramsci likes this.
  12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Tropi likes this.
  16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The cod-library opened yesterday

17. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Did it stay open after the H&S and equalities act challenges? Not clear from twitter etc.

18. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Read the recent posts here. I'm none the wiser about what GLL/ Council see as the end result. I don't mean a criticism of the posts or Brixton Buzz articles. It's the relationship between GLL and Council that I find concerning.

GLL run library services in other boroughs. I am wondering if them providing "customer care assistant" is step towards them starting take over library services? I can see why Unison is saying that the customer care assistant jobs are really librarian jobs and should be covered by TUPE arrangements.

I also cannot see how the Carnegie Community Trust will work in conjunction with GLL gym and GLL "customer care assistant".

I do know that the Council hasn't set up separate contract with GLL to run the gym/ library. It's doing it, somehow under the existing Leisure contract that GLL has to run the existing Leisure centres.

The whole process has not been transparent. Discussions between senior officers and GLL have only been brought to light through the People's Audit and FOI request.

Tropi, CH1, Winot and 1 other person like this.
  19. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

There were a couple of "Better" staff around at the reopening of the Carnegie on Thursday. The same two who were a my doctors surgery patients meeting before Christmas saying how exercise was good for you but were unable to say how much it would cost as everyone's exercise plan is different.

They are obviously very versatile at customer relations situations - and with the capability to be obscure, maybe a job promoting Dual fuel plans or internet packages in Camberwell shopping centre beckons?

20. teuchter

Letterbox today

Screen Shot 2018-02-17 at 18.58.53.jpg

Gramsci likes this.
  21. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Do you think Helen Hayes likes what is being done to the Carnegie Library?

Gramsci and brixtonblade like this.
  22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Who the fuck do Lambeth Labour think they're kidding with this bullshit?

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

And in the real world...

26. teuchter

Some photos of the current arrangement at the library. I did go into the main room but didn't want to take photos with people in there. Staff seemed to amount to two security men, plus the two-hours-a-day librarian (although with no librarian desk as such that I could see, it wasn't very obvious who the libararian is). There was a scattering of people in there using it, including a few schoolkids. The door to the reading garden is blocked off with bookshelves.

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 17.39.21.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 17.39.31.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 17.39.43.jpg

The steel frame of the new reception / entrance seems to be up. The hoardings are carefully constructed to ensure no holes to look through and see what has happened to the ex-reading garden area.

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 17.39.59.jpg

It's true as far as I can see that there's no level access at the moment. So if you can't get up the steps, you aren't getting in.

27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus