1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Save Chestnut Avenue - Tooting Common

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by Sirena, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

I posted this elsewhere but I think it merits its own thread.

Wandsworth Council is planning to chainsaw down an avenue of 50 mature Sweet Chestnut trees!

The avenue is 150 years old, is a magnificent major feature of the Common, and was planted to replace trees that were originally planted to commemorate the coronation of Queen Elizabeth I.

A couple of years ago, the Council commissioned an expert report on the Avenue and the report said that, while the majority of trees were healthy, some had canker. Despite the fact that a tree with canker can live on for decades and despite the fact that the majority of the trees are totally healthy, the Council has voted for destruction of the whole Avenue.

Put a price on urban trees – and halt this chainsaw massacre | Patrick Barkham

[​IMG]

2. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

3. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

4. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

The Council have only had experts look at 6 of the trees and found 5 healthy and one with canker. The reason they are chopping them down is that they have £45,000 from the Heritage Lottery Fund.

This Facebook page (if you have FB) gives a lot of information...

Friends of Tooting Common

Manter and Spymaster like this.
  5. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

It's a bit of a nightmare.... god knows how you stop wanton vandalism like this

6. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

7. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

What shitheads. 5 out of 6 trees healthy is not enough. Hope they don't get away with it.