1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Save British Bees

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by Quartz, Jun 27, 2014.

1. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

2. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Lost in the Supermarket.

Doncaster Borough Council in an attempt to make massive savings, have over the last two years embarked on ploughing up vast swathes of grass verges to save money mowing.
    They have seeded these areas with wild flowers and it is amazing to see these buzzing with bees and swarming with butterflies.
    Also those employees are now working in other areas, without any redundancies being issued.
    First time in twenty five years I have said something positive about the Borough management.

Mab, Purdie, Greebo and 7 others like this.
  3. Sprocket.

Monsanto are worse than arms dealers!
    They are responsible for the high suicide rate among Indian farmers by causing unpayable debts.

4. TheInsider

TheInsider Active Member

NFU are arseholes. They are only interested in the landowners - some of their policies in relation to wildlife and smaller landholders (ie those that won't fork out for membership) is shocking. They have a huge legal team that they throw at things but in reality they are just an extension of the bully boy corporations that fund them.

Greebo, Artaxerxes and campanula like this.
  5. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

They're also partly responsible for horrific birth defects, which continue to this day, caused by Agent Orange in Vietnam. (I fully admit the US government's role, as well).

camouflage, Mab, Greebo and 3 others like this.
  6. Flanflinger

Flanflinger Well-Known Member

What about saving the Bee Gees as there is only one left.

tim and Quartz like this.
  7. StoneRoad

StoneRoad RIP Greebo being kinder heckling from the back!

Remind whose plant went kaput in Bhopal ? that was Union Carbide, IIRC, but the run away and let someone else sort out the mess you've left is a common tactic ... not confined to American based multi-nationals, I'll admit.

Nigel, Mab and Greebo like this.
  8. Quartz

Quartz Eclectic contrarian plebeian

Here's a study appearing to prove the link, published in Nature, no less.

coley and Greebo like this.
  9. Mab

Mab Kingston ON Canada

We in Canada have been fighting against neonicotinoids for years and it is used on everything from food crops to flowers. Also the feds who are hard core conservatives destroyed any environmental integrity Canada had. Tea Party of the North. Sick

Greebo likes this.
  10. Yuwipi Woman

A little OT, but Outside magazine had this article on tar sands in Alberta. The pictures are horrific:

[​IMG]

http://www.outsideonline.com/1927156/high-cost-oil

This particular reporter is quite good. He's also written extensively on the meat packing industry.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    Mab and Greebo like this.
  11. Quartz

Oh look, Monsanto want to sell us genetically modified flying ants to replace the bees.

12. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

Don't these idiots watch cheap disaster movies? We're swapping this

for this

and this

Quartz likes this.
  13. Quartz

I've just been told that the Monsanto story originated on a spoof site. Oh well.

14. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

15. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

16. Duncan2

Duncan2 Well-Known Member

17. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

What? Nope. It's an independent study that has provided evidence linking neonicotinoids to a decline in bee population. It has everything to do with the profits of the insecticide manufacturers though.

Sprocket. likes this.
  18. Duncan2

Duncan2 Well-Known Member

Right thanks for that I thought of TTIP in this connection because you would hope that if the Commission decide that neonicotinoids are bad for the environment they would be able to impose a ban whether the insecticide manufacturers like it or not?

teqniq likes this.
  19. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

One would hope so but never doubt the persistence of capital and their legal people when profits are threatened.

Yuwipi Woman, Mab, Artaxerxes and 2 others like this.
  20. coley

coley Well-Known Member

IIRC, the EU issued a ban but the UK applied for, and got a limited exemption?

Duncan2 likes this.
  21. Mab

Mab Kingston ON Canada

So Monsanto and Bayer are planning to merge--ahhhhhhhh!, when approved (matter of short time). I'm sure Monsanto is also trying to rid themselves of their infamous name but I haven't heard of the new name yet. I don't want them to be able to hide their deeds behind new branding. Has anyone heard of the new name yet? Cheers!

22. Yuwipi Woman

Bayer has an equally checkered history they'd like to shed as well.

23. Sprocket.

I have just read on the Bloomberg site that Bayer will be the name of the merged companies and Monsanto will be no more!
    Plus due to the anti-merge feeling across Europe and America it could be the end of 2017 before the deal is closed.
    Sorry cannot post link from phone.
    BTW if you put Monsanto into Google the first tip that pops up says.
    Monsanto Evil. :)

Mab and Nigel like this.
  24. Mab

Mab Kingston ON Canada

Too true. They are a German company? Are they based in Germany too?

25. Mab

Mab Kingston ON Canada

Cheers, let's call them BayerMonsanto one name

26. Yuwipi Woman

Yes. From 1925 until the end of WWII they were a subsidiary of IG Farben, the patent owner, at the time, of Zyclon B.* At the end of the war the Allies broke up the company into different parts because of the company's association with the Nazis and the use of slave labor. Bayer ended up with a lot of the assets of IG Farben.

Bayer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

* I think its worth a mention that this chemical is still manufactured and used in some agricultural sectors.

Mab likes this.
  27. Yuwipi Woman

Saw this in the news the other day and it isn't promising news for bees in the US:

This Bumble Bee Could Become an Endangered Species

28. Mab

Mab Kingston ON Canada

Oh my gosh of course! What's wrong with me how could we forget thalidomide too!

29. Mab

Mab Kingston ON Canada

Canada is way behind America in any protections for bees and the environment in general. Can I say so-called mainstream people in Canada always believe Canada is much more environmentally sound than the states, cleaner safer food and so on when it's the opposite.

30. camouflage

camouflage Do not read this sentence.

Evil Corp? Multi-National United? Wayland-Yatuni? Full-Spectrum Planet Fuckers Combine? Soylent Pink (For a better Tommorow) plc?

Mab likes this.