Saturday 24th November, FA Trophy 3rd Qualifying Round AWAY to Welling United

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Pink Panther, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Obviously this might go to a replay. Would Champion Hill be ready to stage any replay, bearing in mind we're due back for the league match with Torquay a few days later anyway?

2. pettyboy

pettyboy Well-Known Member

Am I missing something? Has there been any official announcement from the club that Torquay will be the first game back at Champion Hill?

3. Pink Panther

I'm not sure it's "official" as we didn't know they would be free to play us anywhere on 1st December until they were knocked out of the FA Cup on Saturday. All the comments in the media, which presumably originate from the club, appear to have suggested that was the target for the first game back, and it's the first match within the "4-6 weeks" timeframe that was stated when it was first announced on 23rd October that we would be moving back.

Dulwich Mishi, YTC and pettyboy like this.
  4. Jimbob73

Jimbob73 The Wanley Road Massive

Welling should be a good game on Saturday. Nice ground and easy to get to for me.
    Hopefully a chance to gauge how far we have, or haven't, come since the first game this season.

5. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

Very tough game. Bit of a bastard of a draw. Wearing my ‘Natural Born Pessimist’ I can’t see us getting anything out of this...

6. the 12th man

the 12th man Well-Known Member

Not true, half the gate money after match day expenses is the least we will get ;)

Noss and scousedom like this.
  7. chris gil

chris gil making football club owners cry since 1893

C9FBA3B6-BEFE-4D8E-8548-D296E8DB75AA.png There is a sports memorabilia shop opposite the ground that has hamlet stuff in there , posters from the early 60’s . I’ve not been there but a mate of mine told me about it , picture attached

Pink Panther and Poids like this.
  8. Jimbob73

Jimbob73 The Wanley Road Massive

No cover standing at Welling so I guess, looking at the forecast it's get damp or pay the extra to sit. I think it was £2?

9. darryl

darryl this wasn't supposed to happen

Attached Files:

editor likes this.
  10. pettyboy

pettyboy Well-Known Member

Oh.

11. Dulwich Mishi

Well that much is true... :):thumbs:

the 12th man likes this.
  12. Dulwich Mishi

Yes, it's on the offical Club website...it's not.

13. Matt The Cab

Matt The Cab Live it like you love it

1 down.. rather an unlucky deflection from a Green clearance into the top corner

14. Matt The Cab

Matt The Cab Live it like you love it

Ash levels from the spot

the 12th man and editor like this.
  15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Come on Hamlet!

16. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

Replay Wednesday. Not Tuesday.

the 12th man and pompeydunc like this.
  17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Good result. The FA Trophy dream lives on!

18. baleboy_93

baleboy_93 Well-Known Member

Fantastic performance today against a strong side. Sanchez brilliant to keep L’Ghoul quiet down their left whilst Ash and Vose put in disciplined performances in midfield and play deeper defensive roles at the expense of their creativity whilst Tomlin held the ball up superbly all game. Welling were better side in first half and we shaded the second. All in all we thoroughly deserved to get a replay.

pettyboy, Jimbob73, Nivag and 5 others like this.
  19. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

Pleased with that. Thought we played miles better with a back three: Magnus seemed a lot more comfortable and Sanchez was superb. By all accounts Toure had a game to forget on Tuesday, but I thought he did well today - he's clearly a defender first and foremost, rather than a Chambers-esque ball player but I think his no-nonsense style doesn't do us any harm.

Special mention for Cook, as well. I was questioning his usefulness recently, but he looked bright today, despite being on the end of some appalling 'challenges' throughout the game - my particular highlight was the blatant punch thrown by the #2 within the first couple of minutes. Hopefully DHFCTV caught it. There was a muted reaction at the time, but I think that's because the people who saw it couldn't quite believe he'd done something that stupid that early on. Regardless, Cook kept plugging away and he was a fraction away from nicking the winner at the end.

Tomlin played well in bursts, but I can't see the sense in picking him over May or Dipo. He has no goal threat whatsoever and I don't think he has as much impact on the game as the aforementioned two.

Would still like to see a bit more of a threat going forward - it took us until the second half to have a shot from open play - but it was a solid performance against a team thoroughly bankrolled - Acheampong wasn't even on their bench. Progress - long may the back three continue.

20. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

Yeah, has to be a back three. Sanchez was brilliant against L'Ghoul who had run riot on the opening day.
    Dipo to start over Tomlin...every single time.

Nivag and Moroccan Sunset like this.
  21. Pink Panther

But with the way the team was set up I don't think May or Akinyemi would have been a good fit for the role Tomlin was asked to play yesterday, which was more similar to the one Vose normally plays than to where a proper centre forward would play. Tomlin did a lot of good work operating between the halfway line and the edge of the box, but since his broken leg he no longer seems to have the pace and acceleration to get beyond the defence and score goals. In the end I thought it was a tactically efficient performance against one of the top sides away from home, and we almost snatched victory right at the end. There are some frustrating limitations within the current squad and at times we just don't quite have the required personnel to play the way we'd like to see. There were no substitutions from Gavin yesterday, which is highly unusual, and I suspect some of those named on the bench were some way short of being properly fit.

It was a slow start for the Hamlet with Welling having all the chances despite us having a fair share of the ball, while we made little impression on a tight home defence. There was an element of fortune about Welling's goal around ten minutes before half time, although if you want to be critical you might say Green should have cleared it first time; trapping the ball gave an opponent just enough time to charge down the clearance and the ball looped into the top corner beyond Edwards' reach. We weren't behind for long though as Clunis was wiped out by a rather impulsive sliding tackle as he made to go past his man on the outside. I had a better view than most from the terrace right in front of the incident and it looked a clear penalty to me, but the referee seemed to give it then hesitate, while the linesman gave a confusing signal that looked like he was indicating a Hamlet throw, prompting the home players to dispute the decision. As usual Carew was impervious to any fuss or delay and converted efficiently from the spot. We nearly took the lead in first half stoppage time when a sublime 30 yard free kick from Carew smashed against the crossbar and out.

The second half was goalless with Hamlet having more of the play but Welling looking a bit more likely to score when they ventured forward. Hamlet attempted to use the pace of Cook and Clunis to release them behind the defence but were thwarted on at least four occasions by a linesman who was somewhat trigger happy with his offside flag. I wasn't perfectly in line but they all looked very tight and I'd be surprised if he called them all correctly. There was also another good penalty shout as Tomlin was nudged over from behind, but it was a classic case of a referee not giving the same team a second penalty, and on another occasion the referee seemed to indicate "advantage" as Cook was clearly pulled back by the shirt while running across the corner of the box. It was one of those that are seldom given and you don't expect to get, but to pretend there was any sort of advantage was just ridiculous! Ming had been excellent throughout in shackling the dangerous L'Ghoul on Welling's left wing, and in stoppage time he almost created a winner with a low cross into the box from the right, but Cook couldn't quite stretch far enough to guide it inside the far post.

Team (3-4-1-2): Edwards - Toure, Okuonghae(c), Chambers - Ming, Carew, Vose, Green - Tomlin - Clunis, Cook. Subs (none used): Kargbo, Ferguson, May, Akinyemi, Allen.
    Attendance: 478

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    Nivag and WIB Tim like this.
  22. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

Is it a cheap shot to point out May and Tomlin have the same goal threat, ie one all season?

We need a new “assist stat” for them both. To that end, though I was only listening in, I was surprised May didn’t come on for Tomlin to freshen / change up that threat. Keeping him fresh for the replay perhaps.

pompeydunc likes this.
  23. Pink Panther

I suspect there will be tactical changes on Wednesday. In his post match interviews Gavin often sounds more critical of players' failing to to adhere to his instructions than of making technical errors. I would imagine he'll be happy enough with the performance, but it didn't get us the win, and I suspect there will be some sort of alterations in a bid to outwit Welling second time around. We're in the unfamilar position this season of mostly playing sides where we can't just rely on superior individual quality to see us through, as was often the case at the lower level, so I reckon we'll look to try something a bit different.

24. baleboy_93

baleboy_93 Well-Known Member

Tomlin has two goals and May one, and Tomlin has 3 assists to May’s five if you wanted to know their numbers

Moroccan Sunset and Nivag like this.
  25. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

I stand corrected, thank you!

26. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Can we get Stato dressing gowns from the club shop? :D

baleboy_93 likes this.
  27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Jimbob73 likes this.
  28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

29. Pink Panther

I was convinced that was a penalty at the time, I was on the terrace behind the goal on that side. After watching that video repeatedly I don't think there's convincing evidence either way. The defender seems to take the man and the ball simultaneously for me. You win some you lose some, and we won that one.

30. BrandNewGuy

BrandNewGuy Well-Known Member

The winners of the replay will play Chippenham or Wingate & Finchley away in the next round on Dec 15th.