[Sat 2nd June 2018] London Radical Bookfair

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by chilango, May 26, 2018.

1. LynnDoyleCooper

LynnDoyleCooper Their heads on sticks. That'll teach 'em.

It's a bit different though isn't it, a stall holder at the event giving out leaflets, and an outside party turning up purely to give out leaflets?

It sounds like Chronos were then also refused entry back into the Bookfair and had to pack up, after having agreed to the request to give them out outside the event.

Pickman's model likes this.
  2. Rob Ray

Rob Ray Irony is well sad

What did I just fucking say?

3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

upload_2018-6-4_12-43-10.jpeg

4. Rob Ray

Sorry, I'm just getting tired of threads about bookfairs turning into "oh actually these self-centred cretins were totally justified in deliberately provoking arguments and fucking things up, cos reasonable questions."

5. LynnDoyleCooper

Feel free to bring up more interesting Bookfair related topics, I'd happily discuss those. But failing that it is surely a topic of interest to discuss how this stuff gets managed and dealt with?

6. Pickman's model

yeh cos it's not simply people of this ilk, other disruptive elements are available and prior planning prevents pisspoor performance, as they say

7. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

There is a lot to disagree with in that leaflet and I can see how many people would consider it incendiary. It does seem to be worded more reasonably than some of the leaflets that were handed out that the Anarchist Bookfair though.

It's early days yet but this seems to be less of a shit show than the Bookfair incident so far, which is good.

8. Rob Ray

I already said, they were told to leaflet outside the gates, then rather than have a massive row were walked in and allowed to pack up (I was less than ten feet away for that bit). They started leafleting late, presumably so they could have their cake and eat it. I was never more than 20 feet away and at no point were they in any danger whatsoever. What is unclear or needing discussion about this?

Oh and as a stall holder on the day, I really resent their clear decision, after the anarchist bookfair got shut down over this shit, to do it again. They have no special right to fuck everyone else over because they spent £40 on a fold out table.

Rutita1 likes this.
  9. LynnDoyleCooper

What is unclear is how we collectively deal with things like this in the future.

Do we ask anyone to leave that gives out leaflets on this topic that some people don't like/say are transphobic? Do we restrict that to this topic only, or can anyone ask people to be banned from giving things out? Do books come under this as well? Who asks them to leave? What do we do if they refuse? How do we manage the situation if some people want them to stay and some people want them to leave?

MadeInBedlam likes this.
  10. Rob Ray

It's not hard, if things are likely to cause an argument do them outside or tell the organisers ahead of time so they can say yea or nay. Otherwise they're well within their rights to tell you to sling your hook. This isn't a formally constituted debating chamber it's a bookfair, at which people are trying to browse and sell books.

11. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

I commented on the day that the bookfair was pleasantly civilised in tone despite the very real differences between some of the groups on the stalls. You had some Trots doing a paper sale on the door, Maoists (I think) doing a stall outside on the street apparently without rancour, and then at the point I left even the above mentioned leafletting seemed to be passing without causing disruption to the fair.

I came away optimistic. Optimistic that these kinda events could happen and that people could "behave".

I hope my impressions aren't going to proved wrong.

12. LynnDoyleCooper

Surely arguments are part of the Bookfair? So you don't mean just an argument do you?

13. Rob Ray

The anarchist bookfair had a reputation, but no, they aren't. Arguments might happen, but find me the rule which says jerkoffs should just be indulged.

14. LynnDoyleCooper

Many years of anarchist tradition makes it so! :thumbs:

15. Fozzie Bear

Do we know that it was the same people? (I completely accept your account of events in the first bit of that post.)

I accept that they hold the same ideology as the Anarchist Bookfair leafletters but was it actually the same individuals?

16. Rob Ray

Sorry "again" meaning the action rather than the individuals - different people afaik but I can't imagine they'd be unaware of the outcome last time.

Fozzie Bear likes this.
  17. Fozzie Bear

Also, what frustrates me about these discussions on here is that people want to get onto the wild plains of speculation and whataboutery right away.

Dealing with one a specific issue in a particular way doesn't have to set a precedent for everything else. Ultimately it will come down the organisers at the time to plan around this sort of thing and make decisions on the day. People will then agree or disagree with their decisions.

Rutita1 likes this.
  18. Pickman's model

yeh, it's not that dealing with x situation in way y sets a template for dealing with every subsequent situation, but the success or otherwise of any course of action pursued can inform - hopefully! - better decisions in the future.

Fozzie Bear likes this.