[Sat 2nd June 2018] London Radical Bookfair

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by chilango, May 26, 2018.

1. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Recuse

Pickman's model likes this.
  2. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

You or me? :hmm:

3. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Well that's today's new word learnt. :thumbs:

4. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

That word is relevant to this thread how?

5. MadeInBedlam

MadeInBedlam Arm the mentally ill

There was a bit of argy outside the entrance around 5ish - more of a damp-squib

6. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Thought they'd have taken the opportunity to rehearse since october

7. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

The couple of leafletters?

8. Pickman's model

How much easier to rehearse if there's only a couple of you. Didn't see them perform as I was at the derby but look forward to catching them later in the year

9. Rob Ray

Rob Ray Irony is well sad

The Housmans folks told them to do any leafleting/arguing outside the gates, which seemed to do the trick. The argument was about them coming back in to pack up their stall from what I could work out - turned out some of them had a stall two down from Freedom :eek:.

10. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Oh. Which stall was that?

They only seemed to leaflet late on in the day? I barely noticed them tbh.

11. Rob Ray

Chronos/Cronos maybe? I only glanced at them on the way past so not sure. Yeah for most of it they were just selling stuff (makes sense I suppose, get your money's worth before making a scene).

12. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Oh, right. Couldn't recall who was in between Corporate Watch and the dusty old Marxist pamphlets.

Took a leaflet without paying much attention, glanced at it and then shoved in the back of one of my books for future reference. Haven't looked at it since.

13. Fozzie Bear

There was a woman adjacent to the Chronos stall (to the left of it) who had the leaflet that she and a couple of other people were dishing out later outside the gate.

I couldn't make out if she was actually with Chronos, or with the people on the left hand side of their stall, or on her own. I've not read the leaflet yet but it doesn't seem like a good fit with the rest of the Chronos stuff.

They didn't seem that keen on giving me their leaflet, perhaps because they were targeting women? I ended up with two though. :D

14. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

How did you get two?

15. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

It was hard to tell where one stall started and another ended in a lot of cases to be fair.

16. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Also noted that Active didn't have that banner up (or indeed the related stickers out).

17. Fozzie Bear

One when we left and one from a female friend who had been given it earlier inside the hall who was going to recycle it along with the copy of Peace News that she also couldn’t be arsed with.

18. Lurdan

Lurdan old wave

Chronos eh. ROFL.

I had no idea about this micro-drama but I see now there is a posting on their facebook page about it, together with a free PDF of the pamphlet that caused the complaints about them.

Oddly enough after I'd got home it had occurred to me that I could have asked them about something that puzzled me a while ago to do with a publication from their neck of the woods. Still it was a pleasant afternoon and I'm not at all sorry to have missed the opportunity to renew acquaintance.

19. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

For those wishing to avoid FB

I haven't attached the link to the .pdf.

20. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

All of this must have happened late on.

I was in and out throughout the afternoon and browsed the Chronos stall without seeing the leaflet (or much else tbh) there. The leafletting must've started sometime later, certainly after 3pm when i last went in. When i left at 4ish it was being handed out outside the gates with little fuss or attention being paid to it by attendees desperate for refreshment i guess.

21. Rob Ray

Jon having now retired it's being done by a different crew down in Bristol. I had a chat with a couple of them, seem good folks and to a casual glance, way less punk-inspired. Which may account for the difference.

chilango likes this.
  22. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Let's see about that shall we...

23. Pickman's model

sad day when ja retires :(

he'll have to change his name to reflect the new reality :(

crossthebreeze likes this.
  24. Rob Ray

Ooh that's a whopper, I was stood outside when they tried to walk in, it never got more "intimidating" than some crossed arms. I was about 20 feet away and couldn't even hear the "abusive behaviour."

25. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

26. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

Can I ask where on FB that sulky nonsense is posted?

27. LynnDoyleCooper

LynnDoyleCooper Up against the wall motherfucker.

A long tradition of the savage fights in the anarchist scene more being actually a little bit of shoving and some exchange of rude words.

28. MadeInBedlam

On their FB page, oddly enough

Chronos

29. MadeInBedlam

The leaflet itself was hardly incendiary

30. Rob Ray

At a glance it has plenty of incendiary parts, but as a request to mods (and everyone else) can we please not let this turn into another thread of equivocation about how totally fine it is to push your "reasonable questions" (a.k.a entry point to unreasonable conclusions) which you know will likely turn a popular radical event into a shit show and then pretend that intimidating behaviour happened even when a hundred witnesses saw it didn't.