[Sat 28th Oct 2017] London Anarchist Bookfair (London)

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by Kate Sharpley, May 30, 2017.

London Anarchist Bookfair
Start Date: Sat 28th Oct 2017 10:00 AM
End Date: Sat 28th Oct 2017 07:00 PM
Time Zone: Europe/London +01:00 BST

West Green Road,
London N15 3QR

Posted By: Kate Sharpley

Confirmed Attendees: 0
You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
  1. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

Who decides whether or not they're anarchists? Support and solidarity no matter what they've done?

2. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Punching feminists doesn’t seem like a professed anarchist position. This is why they’re having to be deemed fascists, to justify it.

Edie likes this.
  3. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Sparkly cat whisperer

Isn't TFW in Class War?

4. Pickman's model

Pickman's model One star in sight

tfw? e2a:ric

5. MadeInBedlam

MadeInBedlam Arm the mentally ill

Tara flic wood

Thimble Queen likes this.
  6. Pickman's model

ta

7. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Well. Probably not me, is the short answer.

I would think being a member of an established anarchist group would go in the + column though.

If someone was in a group I was involved with and they did something like that I would hope they'd be given a talking to and also efforts would be made to stop them going to prison or whatever.

There are obviously lots of examples of things that I personally think are beyond the pale for that sort of solidarity: genocide, pouring LSD into the water supply, trying to blow up the moon with a thermonuclear device, etc.

8. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

I understand your position, and can see how it might be within the range of responses consistent with anarchism. Personally, whilst I wouldn't want to see a former comrade imprisoned, I think this individual forfeited the right to active solidarity by their actions (which are at odds with what I understand to be some pretty fundamental anarchist principles).

9. Pickman's model

always good to see people who aren't anarchists harping on about anarchist principles.

winjer likes this.
  10. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

Have I been thrown out?

11. Pickman's model

on yer way

you haven't been thrown out, of course. i hope to enjoy more of your posts about anarchism.

12. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

And I yours. Though experience suggests likely disappointment. :p

13. Pickman's model

Yeh compared to your posts on other areas your efforts here aren't so strong

14. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

Damned with faint praise.

15. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Similarly I understand that. I'd prefer it if the movement were able to resolve these issues without involving the cops and courts. I appreciate that is utopian and unlikely, especially when non-anarchists are involved.

16. LynnDoyleCooper

LynnDoyleCooper Up against the wall motherfucker.

I take it by the lack of advertising for an 'alternative' bookfair event this autumn that those who were shouting about putting something better on aren't actually doing it?

17. MadeInBedlam

MadeInBedlam Arm the mentally ill

Radical bookfair in Nottingham in November if that counts

18. LynnDoyleCooper

LynnDoyleCooper Up against the wall motherfucker.

No, but thanks!

Pickman's model likes this.
  19. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Of course they’re not. Adding your name to a list of signatories is much easier than putting in actual graft.

20. Pickman's model

Any bf this year would I believe be such a clusterfuck of terf trans twattery that it would make last year's little contretemps appear trivial by comparison. But it will bugger, in its sense as a technical financial term, many organisations which relied on the bf for much of their annual income.

21. crossthebreeze

crossthebreeze Well-Known Member

No its not - incidents of domestic violence are almost always part of a systemic pattern of behaviour on the part of the abuser aimed at controlling a specific person or persons that they have a close relationship with (partner, family member, etc). Even if it was a one-off incident, the effect on the victim and motivation of the abuser is different to other kinds of violence because of the close relationship. TFW etc's behaviour was disgusting, stupid and wrong but giving legal support to someone who's done that is not at all the same as taking the side of a domestic abuser.

22. winjer

winjer holocene death beat

To support the only person prosecuted was no choice at all, and one which everybody active in LDMG at the time supported then and still does.

Anyone who thinks the end of LDMG was down to that choice is quite mistaken, and should re-read LDMG's statement after case.
    It would be a mistake to think anyone active in LDMG will simply stop doing court support work.

nyxx and Pickman's model like this.
  23. winjer

A scuffle over a camera. This isn't even the defence account, it's the complainant's!

LDMG didn't defend anybody on the basis of their affiliations, with most defendants this would be impossible to ascertain.

24. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

You seemed to suggest they'd defend anyone arrested at a demo. But that can't be true, surely?

25. winjer

How so? What other selection process is available?

26. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

So they'd defend a neo-nazi, say, who was arrested for beating up a black person at fascist demo? Really?

27. Pickman's model

I'm not sure you've grasped what anarchist legal support to other anarchists and similar consists of

28. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

Having provided such legal support, I think I have a fair idea. But winjer said that, in this case, it wasn't based upon any affiliation i.e. not because the defendant claims to be an anarchist (which position would at least have been consistent, and is, I think, the official LDMG stance). So, I'm trying to establish the basis upon which winjer thinks they decided to provide support. winjer seems to be suggesting the only quantifying condition waa prosecution following arrest at a demonstration. But I find that unbelievable (and gave a hypothetical example to make that point).

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  29. Red Sky

Red Sky It was like that when I got here.

It's not what you think , it's who you know?

Magnus McGinty likes this.
  30. Pickman's model

It's not what Athos' contrarian post suggested