[Sat 28th Oct 2017] London Anarchist Bookfair (London)

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by Kate Sharpley, May 30, 2017.

London Anarchist Bookfair
Start Date: Sat 28th Oct 2017 10:00 AM
End Date: Sat 28th Oct 2017 07:00 PM
Time Zone: Europe/London +01:00 BST

West Green Road,
London N15 3QR

Posted By: Kate Sharpley

Confirmed Attendees: 0
You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
  1. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

yeh. and you suggest above that you see transgenderism as progressive sexual politics. for what reasons?

2. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

I think it's more accurate to say tht they can be (and in my opinion, should be) part of the same thing. But, equally, they needn't be; there's a lot of liberal anti-fascism that's nothing to do with class politics. (Which isn't to say that, even then, liberals and those on the left can't find common ground to work together, and some solidarity.)

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Magnus McGinty likes this.
  3. frogwoman

frogwoman лягушкая женщина

. Fuck it cba.

4. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

Whilst I can't see how an anti-trans position could ever be progressive, it doesn't follow that a pro-trans position is necessarily progressive. It depends on how it's done.

The most progressive way would be within a theoretical framework of class politics (n.b. I'm not saying trans liberation should be postponed until the class war is won, or anything like that), and through practice that builds class solidarity.

An obvious example would be for women, trans people and the working class (accepting the enormous overlap) to recognise that we are all harmed by 'gender' (to differing extents), and to recognise the crucial role that system plays for capital.

And that's something that can happen notwithstanding some quite profound differences of opinion. For instance, it wouldn't be necessary to consider a trans woman a woman to recognise a mutual interest in ending gender roles. But, it would require people to listen to one another and respect differences of opinion, rather than refusing to engage positively (or, worse, seeking to silence) anyone who refuses to accept one's position 100% (e.g. by repeatedly attempting to provoke trans people through pronouns, or ' no platforming' those whose use of pronouns reflects a view you don't share).

Eta: sorry, meant to post that one the other thread!

5. Pickman's model

thank you for your answer, which i welcome while i await nice one's thoughts on the subject.

6. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

Always a pleasure.

7. Wilf

Wilf Aghast.

This is me speaking my braynes or, at best, blurting a random thought out: there's obviously a big issue around recuperation and the way bosses have claimed multiculturalism, diversity and equality as their own - and in doing so either recruited former progressives onto their side or simply blunted/confused the issue for workers/campaigners. That certainly seems to be happening around trans 'inclusion' in the workplace, at least at the level of the public sector and other big employers.

In terms of this recuperation, I wonder if employers superficially becoming trans friendly and sponsoring awards is an easy win for them? With regard to other social divisions such as gender and race, it's relatively easy to counter their claims, with stats on unequal promotion and pay and the like. But with the relatively smaller number of trans men and women working for an employer it's a bit more difficult to use definitive figures to prove they are not equal/inclusive. It becomes a case of individual stories, something less visible at the collective level (which is a point at which the interface between identity politics and recuperating bosses has its greatest potential).

Crucially, none of that actually means it necessarily becomes any easier for trans men and women in the workplace, just as state/employer led equality policies more generally are not really a weapon in the hands of women, the disabled, black workers etc. Anyway, suppose I'm just making the obvious point that if you want equality or to wrestle a bit of power back in the workplace, don't look to your boss (or his equality committee) to do it for you*.

*Though of course there's always a pragmatic issue about using these structures to some extent and in certain circumstances.

Edit: same issues (pretty much) covered better by stethoscope

Pickman's model likes this.
  8. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

9. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

10. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

11. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Fuck sake. Any idea why, or have they just had enough?

12. Pickman's model

13. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

They supported the guilty party at Hyde Park and people protested this was not on.
    Their professed reasoning for the support was child like.

14. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Just as Robinson becomes a household name we’re witnessing the destruction of the already minuscule autonomous left. Maybe it’s a good thing. A change needs to happen but it doesn’t strike me as positive presently.

15. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

I gather a new legal group will form from the ashes of this one... Less some members

16. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  17. winjer

winjer holocene death beat

LDMG supported plenty of "guilty" parties throughout its existence, that's how anarchist legal support works :facepalm:

18. winjer

winjer holocene death beat

Only of each other.

19. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

This though was akin to providing support to one party in a domestic punch up.

Edie likes this.
  20. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

Yep, the abusive man.

TopCat likes this.
  21. Pickman's model