[Sat 28th Oct 2017] London Anarchist Bookfair (London)

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by Kate Sharpley, May 30, 2017.

London Anarchist Bookfair
Start Date: Sat 28th Oct 2017 10:00 AM
End Date: Sat 28th Oct 2017 07:00 PM
Time Zone: Europe/London +01:00 BST

West Green Road,
London N15 3QR

Posted By: Kate Sharpley

Confirmed Attendees: 0
You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
  1. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

none of which suggest you're mentally deficient. go to specsavers to do with mental capacity? i think not: especially when you say you couldn't see the post i referred to. and if you haven't really thought matters through that means you haven't, not you can't. as for having a clue, once more nothing to do with mental capacity and all to do with your knowledge of the subject you comment on.

2. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

[that gif of grandpa Simpson going into a house and then turning around and going back out again]

3. Tom A

Tom A Goat among sheep

Okay, quit nit-picking, I am aware it's not a "right" in the sense the Universal Deceleration of Human Rights, although having said that, this happens to be Article 1:

Also Articles 7, 8, 10 are worth bearing in mind in regards to how to treat one's enemies:

4. Pickman's model

declaration. it neither speeds up nor slows down. the udhr may lay that down but there's still not right not to be venemously abused.

5. Tom A

Tom A Goat among sheep

Have corrected accordingly.

Pickman's model likes this.
  6. 19force8

19force8 For the avoidance of faith

So you don't regret and wouldn't like to apologise for not coming to blows with the SWP?

How very ecumenical of you.

7. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

Where do we go from here?

8. TopCat

I want the bookfair back.

9. Fozzie Bear

Best option is probably to sit this year out and then see if an expanded collective is possible for 2019?

I think a lot of people (like me) who loved the Bookfair but took the organising of it for granted would lend a hand.

10. Pickman's model

six weeks down the line your inability to understand my post still shocks.

11. Pickman's model

Yeh too late to do anything much this year plus I suspect any event this year would be seen by some people as an opportunity to continue last year's debacle

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  12. nyxx

nyxx Active Member

what’s stopping you from contributing to making it happen?

13. 19force8

19force8 For the avoidance of faith

Oh I understood it :p

14. TopCat

Im up for helping

15. LynnDoyleCooper

LynnDoyleCooper Well-Known Member

Was also wondering what, if anything, was going on with any London Anarchist Bookfair alternatives this year. It's a bit of a poisoned chalice though if anyone does take it on, can't imagine they won't get it in the neck in some way or another.

16. Pickman's model

they'll be lucky if they only get it in the neck

i'm up for helping with finding a decent pub near any venue.

TopCat Badgers Fozzie Bear Streathamite Mr.Bishie

TopCat and LynnDoyleCooper like this.
  17. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

18. Pickman's model

i think it's only possible to tag five people in a post or i'd have done you too :oops:

DaveCinzano likes this.
  19. Fozzie Bear

This has been running for a few years and is a mixed bag (Tankies! Bookmarks! Arty zines!) but is still worth a look and features some Bookfair fixtures usually:

London Radical Bookfair 2018

Mordi, Pickman's model and chilango like this.
  20. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Ooh. I'm almost never free for the @ bookfair's October date so this is good to know...

21. Fozzie Bear

Come! Pickman's model is organising drinks and getting the first two rounds in.

22. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

:thumbs:

Pickman's model and Fozzie Bear like this.
  23. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

Will be going along, be good to see you and urbs and especially chilango if yoy make it :)

Fozzie Bear and chilango like this.
  24. Mordi

Mordi Amoral adventurist

Has some good book prizes too, I particularly like their childrens book prize which they've helpfully archived the shortlist for each year.

Rutita1 and Fozzie Bear like this.
  25. Rob Ray

Rob Ray Irony is well sad

26. chilango

chilango *shrugs*

Provisionally blocked this off in my calendar :cool: I'm awol in Snowdonia the week leading up to it, but should be back.

stethoscope likes this.
  27. Wilf

Wilf Cocksucking Angry Columbo

Be interesting to see to what extent the 'trans v terfs' battle plays out - or doesn't - in these venues. I think it will also be interesting if/when the London event runs again how the organisers approach the issue. I get the impression over the years there have been a few exclusions - conspiraloons, weird sects on the pavement outside, but haven't table/room bookings been pretty much open to anyone who self defines as anarco-ish? Would organisers be forced to come up with statements limiting the groups who can book? Would there be pre-negotiations between groups to avoid similar battles?

None of that is put forward as a 'solution'. Quite the opposite in fact - I can't really see how any kind of 'planning' could stop these toxic battles happening again. :( All very sad really, makes you appreciate the efforts the organisers have put in over the years.

28. Pickman's model

given what happened at millwall i suppose there'll be lot more er 'debate' on this issue to come.

Wilf likes this.
  29. Rob Ray

Rob Ray Irony is well sad

You're assuming it didn't last year, to a greater or lesser extent. And there's been fights and feuds playing out through public events in the anarchist scene since the 19th century, including fistfights at the London event almost every year. All this isn't nearly as special as people seem to think.

Mordi likes this.
  30. Pickman's model

yeh but so many of the other feuds and rows have been at least entertaining for onlookers.

what we need next time is a choice between bareknuckle and glove and a ring for the contenders.

Wilf likes this.