1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Sat 28th Oct 2017] London Anarchist Bookfair (London)

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by Kate Sharpley, May 30, 2017.

London Anarchist Bookfair
Start Date: Sat 28th Oct 2017 10:00 AM
End Date: Sat 28th Oct 2017 07:00 PM
Time Zone: Europe/London +01:00 BST

West Green Road,
London N15 3QR

Posted By: Kate Sharpley

Confirmed Attendees: 0
You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
  1. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

I see Sisters Uncut have featured heavily here. Have they come full circle from attacking alleged abusers of women to become abusers of women?

2. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

Given that Butchers said (IIRC) Merseyside AF translates to a couple of people in the Liverpool group and 5 across Scotland...unless I have that/this wrong...there’s more on this board representative of pissed off anarchists.

Pickman's model and TopCat like this.
  3. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

And, at the risk of further opprobrium, what’s the more important? People with some analysis of power dynamics at their point of entry to anarchism or this individualism? (That leads to “I wanna fuck up some terfs”)

Fuck it.

Pickman's model likes this.
  4. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

And whilst I understand the pragmatics, it remains that the quarrel is about a parliamentary law.

5. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

6. chilango

chilango By the many, not the few.

Pickman's model and Fozzie Bear like this.
  7. Fozzie Bear

I guess he needs to keep his patreon patrons happy with #content that shows he is an authority on all the things.

imposs1904 and Pickman's model like this.
  8. chilango

chilango By the many, not the few.

I’m finding patreon a very weird development.

9. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Remember when people used to do things for free? This has turned into a sort of collective sugar daddy thing. People asking for money for talking to their mates for an hour.

10. Fozzie Bear

Yes. Probably one for the commentariat thread...

11. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

not sure if pointless...i agree completely with the spirit of that and this is where the conversation needs to go: A recognition of the fragility of left organising, some self reflection as to how to act when disagreements arise, some perspective on what is at stake etc. He even picked up that all the claims of racism, imperialistic culture etc had zero evidence,(the banner no doubt) also useful.

MrSpikey likes this.
  12. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

They have a history.

13. Fozzie Bear

14. LynnDoyleCooper

LynnDoyleCooper It's a complicated world innit.

That was surprisingly sensible from 325!

15. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Well-Known Member

I thought that was quite a good statement but I thought this sentence seemed a bit oddly placed and didn't really understand why it was included.

"After the 2015 London Anarchist Bookfair, attendees directed their antagonism towards a state target, with a protest at Eurostar for its role in the border politics in Calais and the imprisonment of migrants who had walked through the Channel Tunnel."

16. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

rather a comparison with this year's clusterfuck

17. Fozzie Bear

I think they're saying that anarchist energies should be put into that sort of thing and not shouting at Helen Steel or throwing hissy fits on twitter.

18. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

Are they trying to make the comparison between legitimate and illegitimate targets?

19. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Well-Known Member

Ah ok. That makes a bit more sense to me now.

20. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

Only just spotted that Hydra Books is a signatory to the open letter :facepalm: :rolleyes: :thumbs:

21. LynnDoyleCooper

I'm surprised at who did. Including some people who I'd have thought would have a better position.

22. Fozzie Bear

Also Salvage Collective, who are Richard Seymour's lot, no? I think a bunch of people signed up in the last week or so.

23. The Flying Pig

The Flying Pig Well-Known Member

Depends what day it is, how much they have had to drink mixed with a cock tail of whatever and then they go off on an escapade. Nthing plannedno responsibility, just go and do whatever you feel. Rich kids exerting their privilege.

Magnus McGinty likes this.
  24. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

I never read them like that. They have done some well planned and properly organised stuff.

25. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

Or at least waited to check the facts

LynnDoyleCooper likes this.
  26. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

this!
    someone involved in something i help with suggested adding the name of the org to it and i objected on those grounds and that no one from it was there!

27. nardy

nardy Active Member

Anarchism. What a brilliant idea. If only more people realised the concept, its time would come on a wave of popular public opinion.

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Trolling. Never a good idea when there's a grown up debate going on.

sealion, NoXion, campanula and 3 others like this.
  29. LynnDoyleCooper

Brighton ABC statement from their Facebook page (sorry don't have link)...

"Despite the threat of the loss of an event that has provided the single greatest opportunity for our fundraising activities for our prisoner support work over the past two decades, Brighton Anarchist Black Cross fully supports the stance of the London Anarchist Bookfair Collective in the face of a torrent of unfair and largely misplaced criticism. If people have chosen to continue to passively 'consume' the Bookfair each year whilst failing to actively engage in the creation of this event, then they have only themselves to blame when their snipping from the sidelines about their poor 'consumer experience' results in the Bookfair Collective calling it a day.

This is going to directly impact on our prisoner support work. We are a very small group, which nevertheless often provides quite significant material aid for comrades behind the bars. The fact that there is not going to be an Anarchist Bookfair next year in London is going to very severely impact our abilities to offer further support to anarchist and other political prisoners (including trans prisoners) and hinder our work on other anti-prison projects, such as printing literature, etc. We hope that the signatories of the open letter are fully aware of the real consequences their actions are already having on groups like ours."

ABC - News

30. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side