1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Sat 28th Oct 2017] London Anarchist Bookfair (London)

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by Kate Sharpley, May 30, 2017.

London Anarchist Bookfair
Start Date: Sat 28th Oct 2017 10:00 AM
End Date: Sat 28th Oct 2017 07:00 PM
Time Zone: Europe/London +01:00 BST

West Green Road,
London N15 3QR

Posted By: Kate Sharpley

Confirmed Attendees: 0
You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
  1. gamerunknown

gamerunknown Well-Known Member

There are plenty of historical examples of the exact same thing happening - the working class as a whole are exploited, queer people struggled to get recognition and access to working class spaces. Black women wanted to have their experiences of sexism recognised. Oppression or exploitation do not inoculate oneself from further exploitation or oppression.

I don't know of any trans people who call themselves "trans identifying". That term is exclusively used by "gender critical" feminists to my knowledge. As for whether we think people shouldn't be able to question our ideology, sure. How dare we not welcome Police Liaison Officers to the Anarchist Bookfair to debate the relative merit of anarchism with us?

2. bimble

bimble uber-hippy twonk peanut

Have you come up with any answer to this quandry yet ?

3. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Are they barred then? Because nobody questioned if I was one or not.

4. gamerunknown

gamerunknown Well-Known Member

Didn't say they were barred, but the respect policy is as follows:

Would it be authoritarian of us to request that the police not monitor the anarchist bookfair?

Nope.

5. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

6. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Good statement, and this part needs to be read again and again by a few people

7. LynnDoyleCooper

LynnDoyleCooper It's a complicated world innit.

Yeah, the other thing I like about the statement is it gives a kick up the arse to people (including me) that have been going for years and leaving it all to the collective. Totally going to help out setting up/taking down or doing some other stuff on the day next year.

8. Rob Ray

Rob Ray Irony is well sad

Well, if people want to have a 2018 bookfair it'll require more than helping out - the collective just put out a statement saying they won't be doing it next year.

pengaleng likes this.
  9. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

This is why we can't have nice things.

10. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Shit, but can't blame them

11. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

have you a link please Rob?

12. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

Yeh. Have you a link?

13. Rob Ray

14. ska invita

15. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

Their response to the open letter is eviscerating.

16. ska invita

17. ska invita

"AFem 2014 was an attempt to make an event similar to the Bookfair without cis-men and with a safer spaces policy. Having seen the result, does anyone wonder why the organisers of that event (many more than we are) didn’t feel they had the energy to do another one?"

I vaguely remember hearing about this, but does anyone recall it clearly/have a link for what happened? Id appreciate it.

18. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

crossthebreeze and ska invita like this.
  19. Rob Ray

crossthebreeze and ska invita like this.
  20. crossthebreeze

crossthebreeze Well-Known Member

I didn't go to AFEM2014 in the end (or the bookfair that year) for various reasons, but I was peripherally involved in some of the initial organising for it, and basically got bored with the seemingly endless bad-tempered arguments about who should be included (ie other anarchafeminist events i had been to until then had always been all women and all trans people, but some people did not want trans men involved (even trans men who had not yet transitioned), saying this undermined trans women, but there was pretty much every permutation of identity being argued for and against) that I decided to focus on other things instead, and in the lead-up I thought the resulting gender inclusion policy was pretty meaningless and illogical, and I could well see that someone on one side or another was going to kick off in some way.

21. crossthebreeze

crossthebreeze Well-Known Member

Anyway, those are very good statements, and I don't blame them for not wanting to do another event. I hope it pushes everyone to just take a bit of thought on this.

LynnDoyleCooper and redsquirrel like this.
  22. ska invita

you would think so, but some of the arrogance Ive read in attacks on the bookfair makes me doubt it. There are a lot of self-assured posturers out there these days.

Theres been a mushrooming of bookfairs in the UK in recent years - mainly anarchist, but not all. I think this has big implications for all of them. The massive irony is that the London Anarchist Bookfair is so well organised, works so hard to be inclusive, and on such an impressive scale, and yet it is they that are packing it in. Really hope its for one year only as the knowledge the collective have in putting this on cant be easily replicated - years and years in the making.

The London A Bookfair is an insittution now I guess, but its (clearly) such a fragile one. Like so much of left organisations. I think I said it earlier in the thread but people have attacked the fair as if it were the state. Zero understanding of the reality of the work. As mentioned in the solidarity letter too many are "inculcated by ‘customer service’ culture that even the Bookfair is attended by consumers ".

From the response to the open letter this stands out to me
    the lack of solidarity, baseline mutual respect is one thing, but the inability to even attempt an interpersonal dialogue on something so important, but rather drop bombs from social media...
    thanks. well I guess it really was an ‘introduction to anarchafeminism’. Introduction by fire

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    crossthebreeze likes this.
  23. chilango

chilango By the many, not the few.

...and if the bookfair can be wrecked, then other components of the movement can be too.

24. ska invita

a couple of agent provacateurs could run riot.

rich! and Rutita1 like this.
  25. chilango

chilango By the many, not the few.

The two responses that spring to mind are equally worrying:

Maybe they already have.

Or maybe they don't need to.

rich! and ska invita like this.
  26. ska invita

yeah was just thinking the same
    I think Dont Need To is by far the bigger threat though

crossthebreeze and chilango like this.
  27. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

So that unresolved argument from AFem basically surfaced at the book fair and killed it. Can the argument even be resolved? I recommend it occurs away from civilisation.

28. Red Sky

Red Sky It was like that when I got here.

Leave the primmos out of this.

29. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

I think the truly terrifying thing is that some people will think this is a victory. There were a bunch of comments from young shouty types on twitter along the lines of "the bookfair's politics have always been trash" after this year.

If you do all your politics on social media (or conversely are a green party member who came to the Bookfair to dish out provocative leaflets) then I doubt the Bookfair closing will matter to you very much at all.

Both statements from the collective are great.

chilango and crossthebreeze like this.
  30. ska invita

some of those people are now online say stuff like "sigh" , "quitters" " cant take a bit of cirticism" etc. "we'll make our own fair" lol. I actually dont think most of these people give a shit about anarchism, and just see it as a vague liberal/lefty space.

i agree