[Sat 16th Sep 2017] Free film about the Four Aces reggae/soul/rave club (London)

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Fozzie Bear, Sep 14, 2017.

Free film about the Four Aces reggae/soul/rave club
Start Date: Sat 16th Sep 2017 07:00 PM
End Date: Sun 17th Sep 2017 01:00 AM
Time Zone: Europe/London +01:00 BST

(near Lea Bridge Road), Chatsworth Road, Clapton E5
London E5

Posted By: Fozzie Bear

Confirmed Attendees: 0
You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
  1. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

The Tree Circle Cinema Sept 16 2017

For the people, by the people, of the people!

The Tree Circle Cinema returns, with a reggae reggae vibe, for another unforgettable night of film, music, and community under the natural canopy of 13 enormous London plane trees. We start skanking at 4pm with music by the mighty duo: Asher G (the Rocksteady Daddy) and Naoko The Rock (Sisters of Reggae), playing original, rare 7" vinyl on the Loud Minority Sound System. Ital food will be on sale courtesy of Wil & D's Jerk & Veggie BBQ.

At sunset, the films begin! First, selected short films for children from the international Discovery Film Festival (Dundee). Our main feature is a rare chance to see one of the best music films ever made - "Legacy in the Dust - The Four Aces Story" by Hackney director Winstan Whitter. It tells the story of the legendary Dalston club - The Four Aces - home to British reggae and rave music until its scandalous demise. Come one, come all: The Tree Circle awaits...

Film Trailer

Address: Circle of Trees, Millfields park (near Lea Bridge Road), Chatsworth Road, Clapton E5
    Entrance: Free
    Time: 7pm-Late

Produced by Millfields Users' Group and Loud Minority. We are grateful for funding from Hackney Council's Community Chest grant.

Tree Circle Cinema

Pickman's model likes this.
  2. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Did anyone go to this?
    I have seen the film about the Four Aces twice over the past few years, very interesting - I think they have been trying to get funding to get it released, in fact you've reminded me I gave a donation some time ago, not heard anything recently :hmm:

3. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

For anyone interested it's on again at Hackney Central Library on 21st October.

Film screening - Legacy in the Dust: The Four Aces Club
    Saturday 21 October, 1.30-4.30pm, Hackney Archives

Dalston's Four Aces Club has been called London's equivalent of the New York Apollo. Featuring Don Letts, Dennis Bovell, Bunny Lee, Trevor Saxon, Dennis Alcapone, The Prodigy and many more, Winstan Whitter's Legacy in the Dust charts the rise of Black British music in Hackney and beyond and the demise of heritage at the expense of gentrification.

Booking via Eventbrite - Legacy in the Dust. Suitable for all ages.

ETA; the link to Eventbrite doesn't seem to work well - just leads you to Black History Events in general :hmm:

4. Threshers_Flail

Threshers_Flail Well-Known Member

5. Fozzie Bear

It's a great film and Winstan is a good guy.

I remember there being parts which relied a bit too much on still images (of flyers etc) but I think it was a work in progress then. The material about the rave era (Labyrynth etc) is just as good as the reggae bits.

6. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

I enjoyed it, I never actually went to the club as I didn't move to London until after it was closed but I was familiar with the building in Dalston Lane (now demolished) so was interested to see the film.
    I've still never heard anything about what's supposed to be happening about the possibility of it being released :hmm: :D

Threshers_Flail likes this.
  7. Threshers_Flail

Nice one, it definitely ticks all the boxes for the type of film we want to put on.

Cheers as well blossie33. I'm talking to Winstan now so I'll ask if there is any progress about a release date.

8. Fozzie Bear

I think Winstan was saying he needed more funding to help with the licensing of some of the tunes in it, so he needs help from one of the distributors or something.

But lowkey community type showings are fine I think.

Threshers_Flail and blossie33 like this.
  9. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

I guessed it was to do copyright, I can imagine it would be a long process to get permissions for the music clips.
    Having worked for a book publisher I know it costs money for the use of other people's material.
    That's fine - no problem :)

Threshers_Flail and Fozzie Bear like this.
  10. Threshers_Flail

Yeah it's a shame as it looks a quality film. I'll let you know how it goes!

Fozzie Bear and blossie33 like this.