Santander Bikes finally coming to Brixton

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jul 7, 2017.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Maharani likes this.
  2. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I didn't realise individual councils had to negotiate their own deals with the scheme. I thought it was London-wide... That doesn't seem very fair for the poorer boroughs in London.

lefteri likes this.
  3. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Can you edit to call them KenCycles? Boris had nothing to do with them!

Gramsci, peterkro and ska invita like this.
  4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I know that but I doubt if many people are going to have a clue what a KenCycle is more's the pity. People do, sadly, commonly call them Boris Bikes.

I have added an extra bit in the intro though.

Santander Cycles - Wikipedia

5. pseudonarcissus

pseudonarcissus fluttering and dancing

that's a bit harsh....Boris opted for Canadian bikes inferior to the French alternative, and painted the cycle superhighways Barclays blue.

snowy_again likes this.
  6. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

Yeeeeeeey!!was just talking to one of my east buddies about this or the lack of hooray all round. I think I'm goi go to sign up.

7. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

Praying there's a dock in Tulse Hill...

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Of course, there's no shortage of these bikes seen around Brixton already, ridden by kids on a, shall we say, extended hire period :D

9. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

the legacy of that kid and his happy distribution of cracked keys!

10. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Have met lost tourists as well who I've directed back to Stockwell !

11. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

I saw some little shites on two of them last Saturday, verbally abusing someone outside Bob wines in Tulse Hill. Quite frankly, it's the worst vehicle on which to perform antisocial behaviour in our neck of the woods. Just call the police and tell them to look for the kid on the bright red stolen bicycle.

E2A, you can bet the last legitimate hire got hit with a £900 fine after the kids hired them on such an extended basis.

salem, UnderAnOpenSky and T & P like this.
  12. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

The background is that a local kid got a job with TfL and lost his job after passing out cracked keys.

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

14. Smick

15. ChrisSouth

ChrisSouth Well-Known Member

Winot, happyshopper and snowy_again like this.
  16. happyshopper

happyshopper Well-Known Member

Apart, that is, for people who live in Brixton.

editor likes this.
  17. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

Sadiq Cycles?

gentlegreen likes this.
  18. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Has Brixton been gentrified that much then?

That they believe there are enough hipsters around to justify this expense.

19. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

About time they got with the future and started making these things electric already.

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

All sorts of people use these bikes and anything that encourages more cycling is just fine by me.

OvalhouseDB likes this.
  21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I don't like the label either but it's what everyone calls them.

22. krtek a houby

krtek a houby how's it going to end?

Brixton Bikes

ChrisSouth likes this.
  23. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Fun facts: The expense of the scheme to TfL is currently 3.62m against an operating expenditure of 21.35m. The rest is made up by usage fees (11m) and sponsorship. Over a year, about 11.5m hires are made, so the cost per hire to TfL is about 30p.

sealion likes this.
  24. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

The powers that be want TFL to become self sustainable so that they can cut government subsidies to eventually zero.

If I was in charge of TFL I'd be ditching the bikes if they cost the company money.
    Every bike ride is not just costing 30p but it's also losing them a potential bus or tube fare.

25. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Depends on how loss-making their other services are. None are profitable. All the figures you need for the comparison are in the annual report: http://content.tfl.gov.uk/tfl-annual-report-and-statement-of-accounts-2016-17.pdf

salem likes this.
  26. Smick

Surely these are for distributing people away from the public transport hub. Get the tube to Brixton and then cycle to Herne Hill, Tulse Hill, Acre Lane. If they are for going to Brixton only, they will get full up at 5.01pm and be useless.

sealion likes this.
  27. nemoanonemo

nemoanonemo Active Member

You've got to get to another docking station. There aren't any in Herne Hill or Tulse Hill.

28. Smick

The bikes are only for people who live close to Brixton tube. And already have the tube within walking distance. So probably aren’t most in need of the bikes.