Sandy Denny

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by danny la rouge, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Meltingpot

Meltingpot Living in our pools we soon forget about the sea

Well I'm blowed :(

2. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

While the thread is rambling, can I just add a word in praise of Fairport Convention? Though they're not the force nor the line-up that they were in the late 60s (only Simon Nicol remains from the original line-up), they have almost single-handedly carried the flame of British folk-pop music from then till now.

Though they're more like a good-time pub band these days, there is no-one on the folk circuit who won't give them credit. The BBC2 Folk Awards (the highest folk accolade) regularly features them and in 2002 gave them a Lifetime Achievement Award.

Their annual music festival at Cropredy in Oxfordshire has been running continously since 1976, making it the longest-running music festival in Europe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairport's_Cropredy_Convention)

campanula likes this.
  3. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Bit insulting to all those other bands and artists who've done that for the last 4 decades.

pogofish, wayward bob and cesare like this.
  4. cesare

cesare don't mourn, organise!

Did anyone see the Fairport Convention docu this week? Prob still on iplayer. Pretty good.

5. editor

editor Forked with electrons

I've got it recorded. Looking forward to watching it.

6. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees

single-handedly my arse :D

cesare likes this.
  7. cesare

8. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

through the medium of interpretive dance....

9. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

great show, not arsed about the 45th anniversary gig htey showed after. The Richard Thompson doc was superb, some great footage of him playing in the States with Linda - a couple of weeks after they'd got divorced.

10. cesare

Yep, didn't see the gig. Didn't catch much of the RT doc, I think Button had it on but I was mostly asleep. Might try and watch it this week sometime.

11. seeformiles

seeformiles Lost in the wood

I know this is probably heresy but I preferred them with Judy Dyble - more acid rock and less "whack-fol-diddly-ay-yay" :

blossie33 likes this.
  12. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral.

I have a middle name myself. I use it always. First name. Middle name. Family name. That is normal. Four fucking names is middle class, 60's fucking hippie hell. This cannot be disputed by any sane person.

I hate fucking hippies. I hate the whole fucking hippie 'dressed up as folk' thing. It's too fucking middle class and too fucking drug riddled. Nasty drugs. Not hippie MJ, but killer, life destroying drugs that turn people into the exact opposite of what the hippie thing was supposed to be. Bunch of cunts the lot of them.

13. butchersapron

Can you just go away again please.

peterkro, Hollis, editor and 2 others like this.
  14. Stanley Edwards

Sandy 4 names Deny who studied classical piano as a child and went to a posh all girls school in Kingston upon Thames was a typical working class girl of her time.

They were all a bunch of middle class tossers who abused their status to the point of self-destruction. The fucking rediscovery of English folk was the biggest joke of all. Coining it from traditional working class songs then spunking all the cash on cocaine. Whole scene isn't just middle class, it is also a just little bit insular on the ethnic thing.

Nothing wrong with preserving traditional music, but they made it all a little bit too much the 'p'reserve of white, middle class folk.

I'll go now.

15. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Without music, life would be a mistake.

It was a secondary modern. An all-girls one, for sure (like secretarial college) but hardly posh. Simon Nichol's family was definitely middle class - his family's home was where the band got its name (before Sandy joined). But quite why this matters to you isn't clear. It isn't forming part of any coherent critique, it's just a personal (and inaccurate) attack on Sandy Denny.

It's fine for you not to like her music, but to not like her for having two middle names is just mental. As for having studied classical piano: what? I thought you were supposed to be an artist of some sort? Do you think only posh people go to piano lessons? And what kind of music do you think is taught to them? Pearly Queen Joanna for plebs and Beethoven Sonatas for the toffs? Proof of middle name(s) required.

Nutter.

cesare, Hollis, editor and 1 other person like this.
  16. Stanley Edwards

I've already said I don't rate her music, or her voice. She wasn't especially innovating. Far from it. I am simply giving my views on why she shouldn't be idolised above her musical accomplishments. I think the fact that she came from a very priviledged family, was invited into priviledged circles, fucked up and dismissed offering her own daughter the same priviledges she had enjoyed is not a life to celebrate.

On the broader scene, it is often a common scenario amongst the fucking hippies of that time. Those who didn't destroy themselves returned to the capitalist hand that fed.

17. danny la rouge

But you're basing that view on a mistaken account of her background, so your understanding of her life is flawed from the start. So don't try. Leave it at the fact you aren't keen on her music, and get off the thread.

18. Hollis

Hollis Bloody furious

Fairport Convention - in their prime hard to beat. Was lucky enough to go along to their 40th anniversary gig at the Barbican - supurb.

19. butchersapron

On the broader scene, i think that her songs were readily re-interpreted by such a range of wankers/artists suggests that there was something there. Long after you die people will listen to Nina Simone giving it some sandy denny and whatever dune you've been blown onto - a fuck they won't give. Now onwards

20. editor

But no one cares what you think because you haven't the slightest clue what you're ranting on about and you don't understand why Sandy Denny remains a hugely regarded artist.

You're just babbling away with some hopelessly clueless argument about class and drugs that makes no sense at all.

Please go away.

21. editor

Can I just add that "Who Knows Where The Time Goes" is one of the most beautiful songs ever recorded.

danny la rouge likes this.
  22. danny la rouge

Indeed. And because of this thread I was listening to it and the rest of Unhalfbricking today, so thanks for the bump.

editor likes this.
  23. butchersapron

God she was great,

24. discokermit

discokermit Well-Known Member

isolating yourself in your bedroom at your parents house, smoking pot and suffering severe depression, hardly fits stans description at all.

25. Hollis

Hollis Bloody furious

Love this cover..

cesare likes this.
  26. butchersapron

Lovely.Ta

27. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

I like the piano music theory of class even more than the four names one.

We should do a full scale workup of it, what would the middle classes learn?

28. butchersapron

Oh please do it.

29. danny la rouge

Coldplay.

30. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

I loved that track :)
    Sandy Denny had a lovely voice but that Judy Dyble track is one of my favourites - not heard it for years! Thanks for posting the link.

I have seen various line ups of Fairport Convention on a number of occasions over the years, starting with the original band with Judy Dyble.
    I saw them on the night that Martin Lamble was killed in the road accident when they were travelling back to London from the gig at Mothers in Birmingham - very sad.

I must admit I am not a huge fan as I don't really like folky music. They have had their ups and down but I can appreciate they are a good band.

seeformiles likes this.