Sandy Denny

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by danny la rouge, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral.

Of course I see that. Is there any financial compensation that would compensate?

He obviously had very good lawyers though. It was a lot of money for a young person to handle. Especially a young person with depression issues. Again, like Sandy Denny, he wasn't known to be the most compassionate person himself.

My objection is with the entire scene at that time. People were being used and abused under a badge of new found liberalism. I suspect Sandy Denny was left to her own demise simply because no-one wanted to take on the responsibilty she couldn't take on herself. Same with Jackson. He had issues the business couldn't cope with.

I'm not really criticising the songs and the talent. I am criticising the business and people who post threads in memorium who probably didn't buy a single record.

We can all clap and hoorah. Costs fuck all.

2. Stanley Edwards

She wrote. She sang. She came from a middle/upper class background.

She wasted her life on cocaine and heroin whilst giving not a shit about her own child.

3. editor

editor Forked with electrons

Why do you keep saying upper class? Is it just to remind everyone that you really have no fucking clue what you're talking about?

Celyn, slojo and danny la rouge like this.
  4. editor

editor Forked with electrons

And why do you think that might be? Go on. Have a guess. Try and think outside your own little contented bubble for once.

5. Stanley Edwards

Because, no-one here would be remembering her right now if she was just another girl from the estates. She had no exceptional talent. If it wasn't for connections none of us would care.

Four fucking names. Posh as.

Whilst she may have had a nice voice and wrote some nice tunes, it wasn't really memorable. Family money bought her fame whilst she cocained, boozed, and heroined her way out of life. Her partner pretty much rescued the life of her daughter. She isn't someone we should idolise IMO.

6. Stanley Edwards

My own little contented bubble isn't that content. When I realise my own problems are affecting others I address them.

As someone who has seen death far too many times (sometimes in horrific ways) I can still say life is what you make it. Research his life and then come back and make a sound argument.

He was a fucking cocaine addled hippie who blew a fortune and fucked off many people.

7. Stanley Edwards

Frankly, I hate this shit. People from very priviledged backgrounds seem to be idolised and adorned with glam when really we should be looking at the reality of shit drugs, and abuse by money making cunts.

It's only Rock'n'Roll!

8. spliff

spliff New Member

Idiot.

9. Stanley Edwards

Why?

Led Zeppelin and The Stones did some brilliant stuff without getting to involved in cocaine and heroin.

10. spliff

spliff New Member

Once again ... ...Idiot.
    Go to bed and read a book about popular musical groups in the 70's.
    What the fuck has this got to do with Sandy Denny?
    Her upper middle class upbringing got her started as training to be a nurse. eh?

11. Stanley Edwards

Right :rolleyes:

Sandy Denny wasn't a coke, heroin addled fuck who couldn't even look after her own daughter?

Led Zeppelin and the Stones are pretty much still going. They're old and one of them died from booze apparently, but I don't here many bad stories about them.

They should back down for the kids mind.

12. spliff

spliff New Member

Well actually Stanley you always bring to my mind that great Mose Allison song "I'm just another middle class white boy tryin' to have some fun"
    Except quite often you don't seem to be getting it and it turns you sour.

GarfieldLeChat likes this.
  13. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Without music, life would be a mistake.

Thousands. Want to narrow the parameters?

14. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap

I don't think there is any evidence that she was anything other than working class. She had several firstnames but was not double-barrelled. She went to a very ordinary girls Secondary school - not even a comprehensive so is unlikely to have taken any O levels - only grammar schools did those. She started to work as a nurse and then transferred to Art college at age 17 but lost interest and got involved in the music scene. This was the folk music scene, not especially glamorous in the way regular pop music had been, the two genres were only just beginning to overlap with the rise of protest songs. She was more in the traditional

Her voice was outstanding and her most famous song - "Who knows where the time goes" is very memorable indeed. She made contacts by virtue of living near enough to London to play at the Troubadour where she could rub shoulders with a lot of people in the music industry and also David Bailey who photographed her. To judge from her photographs she was rather an unhappy person. She is only smiling on about four of those on Google images. She was 'abusing substances' according to my mate Wikipedia at the time of the birth of her baby, cocaine and alcohol so no different from the Rolling Stones who were famously arrested and handcuffed for possession of cannabis - don't tell me that is all they took. The newspaper photograph of the handcuffed stars became the basis for an artwork by the pop-artist Richard Hamilton.

lagtbd likes this.
  15. seeformiles

seeformiles Lost in the wood

Stanley is talking out of his arse here - I'm not sure what her social class has to do with anything? Fwiw the cover of "Unhalfbricking" shows that her parents had a pretty big garden. Looks like leafy middle England to me - unless we're going to have a bun-fight over social class and garden size ;). Listened to this yesterday after seeing the documentary the other night - lovely voice but even better is Richard Thompson's playing :

[​IMG]

16. seeformiles

seeformiles Lost in the wood

Oh yeah? Check out any bootlegs of the '77 Zep tour to hear how ragged Page's playing got when he got into the smack - not to mention Keef's inability to stay awake during gigs in the mid-70s due to the same. :rolleyes:

Meltingpot and slojo like this.
  17. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

wow, I was gonna reply to some of Stanley's daftness, but then realised there's just no point.

Anyone who can claim she had no exceptional talent has clearly never heard Who Knows Where The Time Goes, or Liege & Lief, or just has absolutely no soul.

Cribynkle, spliff and editor like this.
  18. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

There's a couple of good tracks on his album that were used recently in the film Marcy Martha May Marlene

19. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

Wimbledon.

20. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap

How common.

21. Mrs Magpie

22. Mrs Magpie

I'm not 100% sure but I think it's the vicarage garden for St Mary's, which you can see on the l/h side of the album cover..

23. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

it is indeed. The house is on Arthur Road

24. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

It is.

25. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

I think, where it says on Wiki that she left Fairport to pursue her own career, that Fairport actually pushed her out because she was becoming absolutely impossible to work with. I don't know about her drug habits but they considered then that her problems then were down to alcohol.

26. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Stan in "chatting shite he knows fuck all about" shocker!
    A few facts passed onto me by someone who was around at the time (yardbird can probably back most of this up).
    She was a student nurse who took up folk singing for a laugh, and found she liked it;

her first exposure to any drug harder than weed was the barbs and analgesics she was prescribed after the coach crash that injured half of Fairport Convention and killed one of them;

Fairport weren't "wasters". Several of them were jobbing session musicians (not a profession for people who regularly get off their faces);

Their "connections" amounted to Joe Boyd. With Joe on your side, you didn't need connections, because he'd only be working with you if he thought you were worth his time.

Fairport Convention are writ large through the British folk scene of the last 50 years. You don't get that by being wasters with connections, you get that by consistently being involved in making excellent music, bringing on new talent and by having principles.

peterkro, lagtbd, Cribynkle and 2 others like this.
  27. ViolentPanda

Half and half. Apparently her Aussie hubbie was a bone of contention too. He was and is an average musician, but would lobby her unmercifully to get on recordings.

28. Mrs Magpie

I suppose if you're living on the street someone in a tin shack is upper class.

29. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees

i dug old fashioned waltz out of my parents records aged about 16. played it on a loop all summer. don't give a shit about her background, it's still one of the most beautiful albums i've ever heard.

30. ViolentPanda

Middle middle-class at best. Not lower middle-class, but with parents uncomfortaable enough around "unconventional" types, that they were worried for her when she started to make a career in music.

Have you heard the album she did with the Strawbs? Excellent stuff, and shows she wasn't afraid to go beyond her genre if the mood took her.