Sandy Denny

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by danny la rouge, Nov 2, 2007.

1. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Without music, life would be a mistake.

Sandy Denny. Next April will be the 30th anniversary of her death. It's unbelievable, really. She still sounds fresh, and bloody wonderful. A great voice, maybe the best English folk voice on record.

One of my favourite tracks is the demo of I'm A Dreamer. It's Sandy at the piano running through a demo version of one of her own compositions for Rendezvous (not her best album: her career was losing direction, her manager husband probably behind some inappropriate song choices with an eye on commerciality, as her alcohol abuse worsened), and though hesitant, it brings out the beauty of both the song and her voice. Amazing.

[​IMG]

Celyn and editor like this.
  2. Meltingpot

Meltingpot Living in our pools we soon forget about the sea

I like her singing "Who Knows Where The Time Goes".

Celyn likes this.
  3. danny la rouge

Who knows, indeed. :(

Celyn likes this.
  4. Divisive Cotton

Divisive Cotton Now I just have my toy soldiers

5. danny la rouge

I'm listening to that now, as it happens, DC. :cool:

6. longdog

longdog What is it you can't face?

Would it be sacrilege to say her voice gets on my tits? It's all too 'la la la' for my liking.

7. danny la rouge

You're entitled to your opinion. It's just that you're clearly wrong. :p

Mrs Magpie and editor like this.
  8. Firky

Firky The first of the gang Banned

You'd probably like Rachel Unthank then, dad.

Late November is probably my favourite

9. danny la rouge

Yes, she's quite good, son. Saw her in the Arches in Glasgow earlier this year.

10. Firky

They get some good stuff there, I sometimes take a look at it because Glasgow is only about an hour and a half away in the car.

11. Firky

106 miles just checked :oops:

12. danny la rouge

Well, next time you go, you should visit your old Dad. :mad: You know your Mum would like that.

13. Firky

I might be up there at New Year, depends what "the lads" are doing! We used to go to Edinburgh but I don't think one of them is that keen anymore since he got his head kicked in... anyway am derailing your thread, give my love to mum.

14. danny la rouge

You'd need to average a little over 70 mph to do that in an hour and a half.

15. Firky

Up the A1 and over onto the M8, done it more times than I care to remember.

16. editor

editor Forked with electrons

[​IMG]

I'm really enjoying the 'Like An Old Fashioned Waltz' 2012 reissue which has some lovely alternative taks and BBC sessions (it's on Spotify).
    'No End' (piano version) is lovely. Never really appreciated how moving the lyrics are.

17. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral.

How many records did you buy?

18. editor

Meltingpot and discokermit like this.
  19. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

She had a beautiful unique voice.
    I never bought any of her records though, twatty stan

20. Stanley Edwards

Right.

I would have settled for that 40 years ago. I'd still be living on the interest actually.

The whole scene at that time was middle class, heroin addicts. Can't say I have much sympathy for any of them. Nothing truly original. Didn't seem to appreciate the position they were in. Sandy Denny didn't do anything great.

FUCKING HIPPIES!

21. Stanley Edwards

What did she do with it?

22. discokermit

discokermit Well-Known Member

she sang. you dick.

editor, peterkro and Belushi like this.
  23. editor

He was in a classroom where 15 of his classmates were killed by a fireball, and he suffered burns to half his body. And that happened when he was 11.

The trauma led to him suffering serious mental problems later in life. His mental problems got worse when his son died of cystic fibrosis, he ended up living on the street and lost an eye when a kid randomly shot him.

You'd "settle" for all that would you?

Meltingpot and shagnasty like this.
  24. Stanley Edwards

Nothing memorable.

I look at that whole bunch, and think 'you fucking wasters'. They were given a huge chance and just fucked it on coke, booze and heroin. Fairport Convention were nothing special. They wouldn't have got the deals they got without connections. Really don't understand why Led Zeppelin let her in on their act - that was just an easy climb for better recognition. Despite having a great voice, she didn't really achieve much with it. She was just a middle/upper class hippie who took the ride and gave in to coke, booze and heroin.

25. Stanley Edwards

There's a long story between your first and last line.

26. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

I've just read the wikipedia entry and no amount of money would persuade me to lead that poor fellas life.

Meltingpot likes this.
  27. discokermit

discokermit Well-Known Member

from stanley. dancing for pennies and pissing it up the wall. lol.

28. Stanley Edwards

I think he was probably forgotten by most. However, to get that sort of award at that age in that time is pretty big. What did he do with it all?

I just hate the history of this whole scene. Right through to the Rolling Stones. It stinks of abuse in upper class circles. Most came from very wealthy families who were enjoying the post war boom. I don't really see any of them as creatives who deserved much. Led Zeppelin and The Stones excluded, because they weren't really part of the hippie heroin, coke, drop out, upper class scene.

Sandy Denny didn't do much else than sing. Loads can do that. She wasted the opportunity many would beg for. By all accounts, she wasn't a particularly nice person. Cocaine and heroin addicts rarely are.

29. editor

Are you really so lacking in humanity and empathy that you REALLY can't figure out that a young child who narrowly escapes death while seeing 15 of his classmates being burned alive is likely to suffer serious mental problems later in life? The sort of problems that money can't cure.

30. editor

She wasn't from an upper class background, you clueless buffoon.

Oh, and she didn't just sing. She also wrote songs that have inspired artists like Cat Power, Judy Collins, Nina Simone and Kate Bush.

Meltingpot likes this.