Sandy Denny, Fairport Convention and other related folk-rock

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Idris2002, Feb 12, 2006.

1. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

wow, I was gonna reply to some of Stanley's daftness, but then realised there's just no point.

Anyone who can claim she had no exceptional talent has clearly never heard Who Knows Where The Time Goes, or Liege & Lief, or just has absolutely no soul.

Cribynkle, spliff and editor like this.
  2. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

There's a couple of good tracks on his album that were used recently in the film Marcy Martha May Marlene

3. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

Wimbledon.

4. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap R.I.P.

How common.

5. Mrs Magpie

6. Mrs Magpie

I'm not 100% sure but I think it's the vicarage garden for St Mary's, which you can see on the l/h side of the album cover..

7. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

it is indeed. The house is on Arthur Road

8. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

It is.

9. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

I think, where it says on Wiki that she left Fairport to pursue her own career, that Fairport actually pushed her out because she was becoming absolutely impossible to work with. I don't know about her drug habits but they considered then that her problems then were down to alcohol.

10. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Stan in "chatting shite he knows fuck all about" shocker!
    A few facts passed onto me by someone who was around at the time (yardbird can probably back most of this up).
    She was a student nurse who took up folk singing for a laugh, and found she liked it;

her first exposure to any drug harder than weed was the barbs and analgesics she was prescribed after the coach crash that injured half of Fairport Convention and killed one of them;

Fairport weren't "wasters". Several of them were jobbing session musicians (not a profession for people who regularly get off their faces);

Their "connections" amounted to Joe Boyd. With Joe on your side, you didn't need connections, because he'd only be working with you if he thought you were worth his time.

Fairport Convention are writ large through the British folk scene of the last 50 years. You don't get that by being wasters with connections, you get that by consistently being involved in making excellent music, bringing on new talent and by having principles.

peterkro, lagtbd, Cribynkle and 2 others like this.
  11. ViolentPanda

Half and half. Apparently her Aussie hubbie was a bone of contention too. He was and is an average musician, but would lobby her unmercifully to get on recordings.

12. Mrs Magpie

I suppose if you're living on the street someone in a tin shack is upper class.

13. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees

i dug old fashioned waltz out of my parents records aged about 16. played it on a loop all summer. don't give a shit about her background, it's still one of the most beautiful albums i've ever heard.

14. ViolentPanda

Middle middle-class at best. Not lower middle-class, but with parents uncomfortaable enough around "unconventional" types, that they were worried for her when she started to make a career in music.

Have you heard the album she did with the Strawbs? Excellent stuff, and shows she wasn't afraid to go beyond her genre if the mood took her.

15. Mrs Magpie

I think her Mum was an amateur folk singer of Scottish traditional stuff. I might have imagined that but I have a vague memory of her saying so in an interview or I read it in her biography.

16. seeformiles

seeformiles Lost in the wood

Nice to learn something positive from this thread! :)

17. ViolentPanda

Have you heard Ann Briggs' "The Time Has Come"? Cracking album from around the same time as Fairport started. More acoustic, but some beautiful singing.

campanula and peterkro like this.
  18. seeformiles

seeformiles Lost in the wood

I'd forgotten about that one - I've got it somewhere - released on Pickwick records iirc!

19. Mrs Magpie

@ seeformiles
    I had a friend who lived round there in the 70s so I know the area reasonably well.

seeformiles likes this.
  20. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees

i haven't but will look it out :)

21. ViolentPanda

Not "posh", Scottish.

Oddly, most of her contemporaries don't agree about her partner "rescuing" her daughter. Consensus appears to be that he saw a way to make sure he never had to work again.

22. ViolentPanda

I reckon you'll like it. :)

23. Mrs Magpie

Not any more. It was often (but not always) the case decades ago but now, especially in the case of double, triple or even quadruple barrelled names these days, it tends to signify the opposite.

24. ViolentPanda

So, Zep did their first album, and the Stones did their first two. Cos everything that came after that was under the influence.

25. ViolentPanda

I know a fair few w/c Scots with four names: Usual goes something like - Given Christian name; Parents Christian name; Clan name; Surname, I believe. It's not a snob thing, it's a tradition.

26. Mrs Magpie

Yup, which is why I edited with addition of (but not always)

27. ViolentPanda

Re-released a couple of years ago on CD with several tracks left off of the original for reasons of space, plus a couple of alternate takes.

28. ViolentPanda

I was just thinking - about the only '60s folkie who really fits Stan's description was Nick Drake, who was "upper middle class), on prescription barbs and tranqs, and who may or may not have taken up smack in the last 8-9 months of his life. Most of the rest were a ragbag of grammar school types and self-taught musicians.

29. Mrs Magpie

Peter, Paul & Mary? Wasn't one an aristo?

30. Mrs Magpie

Actually no, I'm thinking of some other group.