1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung's Galaxy s8 looks pretty amazing

Discussion in 'mobiles, tablets and wearable tech' started by editor, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

I just purchased a Bluboo x9 from China....and for a budget phone it certainly packs a punch. It's a better phone than my Samsung. Has fingerprint security on it....3gb ram....

Battery is not great, but still meets my needs.

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's never going to be the most secure but better than nowt.
    If top notch security is your thang, use the iris or fingerprint scanner.

3. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

I had a Samsung Galaxy Nexus when that came out with face recognition. Awful it was. Couldn't even recognise my own face half the time. Got switched off sharpish.

I'm amazed actually that they even gave themselves an open goal with the face recognition security flaw, especially given the massive advertising campaign they launched highlighting their product testing after the declarable that was the Note 7 catching fire. Last thing they needed was someone undermining their security with all the simplicity of a facebook photo.

S8 looks pretty nice anyway, despite this. Not that I'll be getting one.

4. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

I had it on my Note. It was quite clever and worked, but was slower then just swiping a pattern. Never tried showing a selfie though!

5. discobastard

discobastard _____Ϯ_____

I would use passcode personally. If you get mugged or arrested there is nothing to stop them holding you down and forcing your finger on the fingerprint scanner - they are so sentive these days it wouldn't be hard. Six digit passcode ftw (assuming you don't keep it in your wallet).

Can't remember where I read that but it has changed how I think about phone security.

6. Beetlebum

Beetlebum Banned Banned

How long before the first thousand pound flagship. It's getting silly.

7. chriswill

chriswill Misbehaving!

Picked up the S8 yesterday. The screen makes my XZ look positively flat in comparison.
    The camera performs well too

Like it so far

Attached Files:

editor and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  8. chriswill

chriswill Misbehaving!

Very well in fact

Attached Files:

9. UnderAnOpenSky

I'm feeling quite let down by the Moto G4 camera after having a Samsung for so long. Think I'm going to wait till the prices drop and look at these. Funny how you don't realise how much you use something till you miss it.

10. Grandma Death

Grandma Death Reconfiguring & Reconstructing

I got mine on the 20th. Its a brilliant phone in so many ways. Im a huge fan of the Galaxy phones and have stuck with them since the S5. Some great features to be fair although in many respects its like the S7 edge and that is a great phone too. The camera on the S8 plus is spot on to be fair-in low light its outstanding compared to the S7.

11. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

I've got one. It's ok. I don't get the whole getting exciting about a phone.

mauvais and tim like this.
  12. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member

Having lived with an S8+ since launch I can say it is a nice phone, I'm not sure it gives me £800 more value that my old Note 4.

editor and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Why did you get it then?

14. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

My old phone packed up. And, because I was near to the end of my contact, they said they give me one for £100 if I signed up for another two years. And I couldn't be arsed to shop around.

Don't get me wrong, its fine. But I find it hard to get excited about a phone.

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'd agree there's not a lot to get excited about these days - they're all much the same. But I do think the Edge has exceptional looks. It's by far the most attractive phone out there.

16. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

But, like every other smartphone out there, those looks will likely end up being hidden in a case. All that design effort and they're still too damn fragile :(

17. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

Personally, I'd rather a flat screen; those curved edge bits distort what you're looking at, and are, practically speaking, pointless.

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I disagree. I think the screen makes for a far more immersive experience - something that has positively commented on by many reviewers - and I'd prefer to look at screen than bezels, thanksverymuch.

Samsung Galaxy S8+ review: the best plus-sized screen you can buy

Samsung Galaxy S8 First Impressions: That Screen, You Guys

19. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  20. UnderAnOpenSky

Exactly. I'd rather save a few quid and not have it like they did with the S7.

21. UnderAnOpenSky

Depends how quickly the pound keeps dropping.

22. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

More's the point, the absence of a bezel doesn't depend on a curved edge; could just sad easily have a bezel-less flat screen. It's just a pointless gimmick.

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Aesthetically it looks miles better to my eyes. And that's clearly that's seen as a positive because shitloads of people have bought the Edge over the standard s8.

But if you'd like to swap it for my s7 (non Edge) I'd be delighted!

24. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

There isn't a non-edge version, is there?

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Well, there's the S7 non Edge version which I'd be delighted to swap with you :)

26. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

Obviously, that's not going to happen. But I still think there curved screen is a silly gimmick.

27. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member

I travel a lot so the s8+ will be replacing the tablet I carry to watch movies on the plane. It is a lovely phone the screen with 4k is amazing. It is the first phone I've bought a case for because although the curved body feels and looks great is seems very dropable - or maybe I'm clumsy

28. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

4K on a screen that size is utterly pointless. All it does is drain the battery quicker.

29. UnderAnOpenSky

Maybe if it's 2 inches away from your face so it can be used for VR?

30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Good job it automatically drops down to whatever res is best, and users can config it for their tastes. For VR that screen will be amazing. The battery life is one of the best for phones that size, btw.