Samsung Galaxy S9

Discussion in 'mobiles, tablets and wearable tech' started by cybershot, Jan 25, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here's a fairly unscientific comparison but at least it's showing things you're actually going top notice (e.g. app loading times).

In summary - they're both fantastically fast.

Battery comparison. Apple not so good.

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Oh and not a lot of difference between the S8 and S9

3. This is also contributed to by the fact that US prices do not include sales tax, whereas the UK price will include the 20% VAT.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  4. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

6. cybershot

With the general consensus that if you have an s8. Don’t bother.

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

8. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Does anyone do that anymore? Assume its a solid buy if your coming from an S6 or 7, but not sure what we can expect these days of other then small improvements. It's been like that for years with PCs and I'm fine with that.

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's the same for most gadgets, be it laptops, cameras, or phones: with a few exceptions, most upgrades rarely offer huge leaps over the last one, but it gets more noticeable once you start going two or three versions back.

10. cybershot

:facepalm: I admit I was being a bit baity.

editor likes this.
  11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

cybershot likes this.
  12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

13. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Banned Banned

S9 prices are edging downwards Samsung - Samsung Galaxy S9 (64GB)

I know nothing about that company so do your research and pay on a credit not a debit card if anyone decides to go for it.

14. cybershot

Amazon had a massive price crash on the Note 8 yesterday too. Again do research on how the actual seller is if it's not an amazon warehouse item!

Slo-mo likes this.
  15. cybershot

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

17. cybershot

Then why not show that in the advert.

They are both over priced.

18. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Be a bit out of date though.

20. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

That’s the point, yes.

21. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Bought one of these today after my S7 became beyond repair (minor screen damage but then broke the USB connector). Should cost about £480 after trade-in, which is silly money but not second mortgage territory.

editor likes this.
  22. cybershot

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

24. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Im not sure it fits with the habitual way of checking phones that many people have these days, but can see how it would be attractive to some.

I'd have probably been well up for it a few years ago, but I've actually downsized to an S8 and as the screen is so good, it's big enough.

If I was contemplating such a device I'd also want to see them in the wild for a few years for durability. Like any very new tech, I bet there will be teathing problems

A folding tablet could be very cool though! Maybe like that MS thing you liked the idea of a few years ago editor?

Badgers and editor like this.
  25. mauvais

It's been a few weeks with the S9 and I can report that very little is tangibly different from the S7. Fingerprint reader position is annoying but lack of hardware buttons not the problem I thought it would be. The camera is better (low light etc) but not in ways that I personally am likely to benefit from.

The one thing that is noticeably better is a weird one: the speaker is much improved. I was listening to stuff in the bath yesterday and with the right choice of tunes you can forget it's a phone.

Badgers likes this.
  26. Throbbing Angel

Throbbing Angel it's a very pretty colour this ambulance, isn't it

Good to know (S7 owner). I was wondering if this was worth the bus fare when the prices drop on the release of an S10 device - guess not.

mauvais likes this.
  27. mauvais

It's a sensible replacement for the S7 whenever that gets to the end of its serviceable life, but like most phones now, not really worth the premium to upgrade ahead of time. The S7 is still pretty good too. This will probably change a bit with time - the S7 has had its last major software update, to Oreo, whereas the S9 should get P & Q.