Safe Standing at football grounds

Discussion in 'football' started by hash tag, Apr 24, 2018.

1. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

tommers and Badgers like this.
  2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's ridiculous that it's still not being permitted despite huge improvements in safety and security. I can't stand sitting down at football grounds.

billbond, alex_ and Casual Observer like this.
  3. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

A lot of lower league clubs have de facto standing (albeit in what are, technically, seating sections) where it's accepted that everyone will stand, and the stewards just turn a blind eye. That'd be a start. But, in the higher leagues, the will isn't there a lot of the time. It's about creating an ersatz 'experience' which facilitates maximal revenue - for customers, not fans.

editor likes this.
  4. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

Most amusing.

bromley likes this.
  5. bromley

bromley ...isn't as good as Lewisham.

Loads of top flight clubs have areas where everyone stands, Old Trafford being one of them.

6. krink

krink I'll do it this afternoon

might be an unpopular opinion but i think 'safe standing' is almost as shit as all seaters. after all, in the photos Ive seen it just means you stand where your seat is and it has a safety bar in front of you. i don't want that, i want terracing where i can stand where i want, when i want, with the option to move in cases of tall person in front, nobheads and rain/sun glare. like the football i grew up with. i know it's not going to happen but i'm not going to get excited about standing where i'm told, either.

7. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

Some do, to a lesser extent.

8. Rosemary Jest

Rosemary Jest Wrong and Unstable

I'd agree, the safe standing at Celtic looks better than nothing, but it's nothing like a proper terrace.

I mean, you can't even have a beer on the terrace at the footy, but apparently you can at the rugby. Apparently football supporters can't be trusted.

Lower league/non league grounds are mainly standing only, usually with a terrace of seats for those who want to.

Basically, the top flight is a different game altogether and it's never going to be like it was with some artificial standing areas.

Casual Observer and krink like this.
  9. PR1Berske

PR1Berske New Member

You remind me of a quote in a newspaper sometime after the latest defeat for the campaign to bring in safe standing. Something like "when you wear a football top on a Saturday, you can't be trusted to drink, stand, or congregate; when the same person wears a rugby shirt on a Sunday, anything goes."

I'm a predominately non-league groundhopper. It's second nature to stand, drink and wander around while watching a game. It seems bonkers that higher up teams can't put into place something which is wanted by so many clubs and supporters.

editor, Rosemary Jest and Badgers like this.
  10. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Hate sitting. Hate the whole experience of modern football. The only thing that’s better these days is the quality of pitches, the focus on anti-racism and the rise of the women’s game. The rest has been taken over by suits to create sanitised fun and more TV money.

editor and bromley like this.
  11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yep. And shunting the World Cup to hideous, human-rights abusing countries like Qatar and Russia shows you the sheer contempt they have for fans.

skyscraper101 likes this.
  12. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

Its highly frustrating that the sort of people who make decisions about this are people who often have a barely contained hatred of football fans. Its even more frustrating that the people they consult and the general football 'commentariat' are the type of people who have not strayed from the confines of a corporate box for a very long time if ever.

Leaving aside the whole 'matchday experience' side of things at the moment we have a crazy unsafe situation developing from time to time. A couple of years back I was at a PL match (Chelsea v Everton), my friend is a big Everton fan and had got us seats in the away end. From the off the atmosphere from the visiting Everton fans was pretty hostile and basically they stood for the entire game. In front of me was a father with his young lad, if there had been a push from the back we all would have gone down and this kid would not have stood a chance, dominoes basically. It was bloody dangerous and I bet this happens a lot and expecting low paid and volunteer stewards to wade into this bear pit and get people to sit down is frankly absurd.

This is a crazy and dangerous situation but then again if you don't go to matches or never leave the safe confines of your sponsored box then how would you know?

editor likes this.