Sadiq Khan watch

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by DJWrongspeed, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Black Halo

Black Halo Well-Known Member

In September, one transfer in an hour
    In 2018, get on as many buses as you can possibly get on in an hour once the software is fixed.

skyscraper101 likes this.
  2. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Is there a specific start date for the one transfer hopper? All I can find is it is starting 'in September' - so is that Sept 1?

3. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

In September, I have to leave home in good time to meet and collect some, journey time approx 30 mins. I meet someone, drag them to the bus stop and return home...So, if I can get on that second bus within the hour it'll be free. It will be cutting things very fine. No added pressure then and no spare time for a pint whilst waiting!

4. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Next Monday

skyscraper101 likes this.
  5. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

So pleased we've caught up with the 1970s

Badgers likes this.
  6. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Yes, Khan will introduce smoking carriages on the tube soon.

7. skyscraper101

At last!

bromley likes this.
  8. skyscraper101

This will actually benefit me, a lot.

I take the bus to work with a PAYG Oyster. And so that I don't spend any more than £15 a week getting to work and back, I sit on almost the entirety of the number 14 route from Putney to Warren Street and get off at Tottenham Court Road to walk the rest of the way to my office. There is no other convenient way to get there on a bus which doesn't involve changing.

And because my bus goes through some of the most congested parts of London (Fulham Broadway, South Kensington, Knightsbridge, Hyde Park Corner, Piccadilly, Tottenham Court Road), and is in fact the 3rd slowest bus in London - I spend two hours every day just sat on the thing.

Now, finally, I can get a bus going in a similar direction which comes first, or take a different route involving two buses for no extra.

Gramsci likes this.
  9. skyscraper101

Thought this was interesting watch. Khan in conversation with New York mayor Bill de Blasio in NY.

10. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Bernard Hogan Howe was offered an extension to his contract by May, then up pops Khan and he's off. Coincidence?

11. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Haven't watched it, what's interesting about it, can you tempt me?

Anyhow, new Thames crossings have been approved by Khan...Silvertown toll tunnel and footbridge from Rotherhithe to Canary Wharf. Also a ferry crossing which sounds a bit oldskool. Evening Standard has the details...

Blackwall tunnel is the biggest traffic jam in London so that Silvertown tunnel is a necessary evil I think.

12. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

The Silvertown crossing sounds like a Blackwall relief tunnel. I'm not sure it's really what business wants and will simply increase traffic in the area. Businesses want a crossing between Blackwall & Dartford.

Rotherhithe - Canary Wharf bridge sounds excellent for non-traffic commuters.

ska invita likes this.
  13. skyscraper101

In short, they clearly like each other and have known each other since before Khan became mayor. There's a bit of bants from Khan about NY being the second greatest city in the world and they talk about things like affordable housing, environmental issues, transport, overcoming gender inequalities, multi-cultural and multi-faith issues in cities, and the role of mayors in being able to effect changes more effectively than big government.

ska invita likes this.
  14. Pickman's model

yeh cos traffic never expands to fill new roads

15. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

16. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Khan has told VW they owe him congestion charge monies for their emission lies.
    I laugh but he kinda does have a point.

17. Pickman's model

yeh his point is he's a chancer

Sirena likes this.
  18. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

More power for London in the autumn statement. It's an interesting question whether this was planned or is the result of Khan's work or Brexit ?

19. Tropi

Tropi Well-Known Member

Is he really giving his 'blessings' to the very bizarre Bojo and friends Garden Bridge project?

Tsk tsk tsk... from bad to worse. No money for care, no money for parks, no money for libraries but money for a private useless bridge.

mather likes this.
  20. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

I walked past him this morning as he was going down Tooting Bec tube this morning about 9.30. He was talking with a colleague and he looked just like a regular-guy commuter with a coffee in his hand.

So he still takes the tube to work.... not a chauffeur-driven car.

hash tag likes this.
  21. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

I think he may be awaiting the result of the Public Accounts Committee report into it.

22. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

23. Tropi

Tropi Well-Known Member

If he's after the big job, he will need private donors. Why give a fly about a few trees and public money?

24. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

Sadiq Khan. hmmm. Does anyone think he's doing well?

25. skyscraper101

26. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

No. He's done fuck all. Bit of anti-trump stuff was good, AQ focus is positive, but not much else.

27. skyscraper101

He cancelled the garden bridge, the shit routemasters and introduced the hopper fare and froze payg fares on TFL. The night tube is good too.

Obvs he’s not perfect but he hasn’t done fuck all.

hash tag likes this.
  28. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

Hopper fare was good but it was a no-brainer no-downside fix could have been supported by anyone even a Tory candidate and now it is being used as part of the argument to justify cuts in bus services.

Freezing fares at the moment is a very mixed blessing when you have no bus to get on at all. Note buses tend to be used by people on a low income, so cutting services will disproportionately affect them.

And also who really wants to change buses? A bus is already a slow way of getting to where you want to get to. The last thing you want to do is to have change buses with all the hassle of having walk to a new bus stop to pick up the second bus and all the extra uncertainty of when that second bus will actually turn up.

flypanam likes this.
  29. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

No one wants to change bus but lots of people do change bus. buses are disproportionally used by people who are poorer so making this cheaper is very positive.

Alex

30. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

The Hopper fare is a positive thing, but what was originally portrayed as an overall improvement in services, is now being listed as a mitigation in the context of widespread bus cuts, brought about by the fact that TfL has no money.

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/bu...-london-bus-service-change-proposals-eqia.pdf

salem likes this.