Sadiq Khan watch

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by DJWrongspeed, Jul 27, 2016.

1. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Khan already seems to be making unpopular decisions. First he approved the demolition of the old Foyles building on Charing X Rd and now he's given the green light to City Airport expansion. This was previously blocked by Johnson.

There's probably more housing being built around City Airport than anywhere else in the UK. Why expand there? If Heathrow is in the wrong place then City is in completely the wrong place.

Chris Beach and Pickman's model like this.
  2. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

No one is ever going to agree with everthing a politican does or proposes. Boris banned the expansion of the airport becuase he had his biggest ever vanity project in mind; Boris Island.
    Khan has spoken about expanding the congestion charging zone which has had some people up in arms. He appears to be sitting on the fence
    regarding one of Boris's white elephants, but at least I see he has stated there is no more money available Garden Bridge: Tough questions for £175m Thames project - BBC News
    He previously said we have already spent half of what it would cost to build, inferring that it might be better to proceed than scrap it.
    Also, I believe he is in favour of bringing Wimbledon home which Boris appeared to be against.
    He also promoted baniing of body shaming adverts Sadiq Khan has banned public transport adverts that 'encourage unrealistic body expectations' which also caused a fuss.

He is and will always be better than Boris!

han and catinthehat like this.
  3. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Free the Sepsis Six!

:confused:

Bungle73 and Pickman's model like this.
  4. DotCommunist

DotCommunist slowtime

5. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

you say that because he's only been in office a matter of weeks. and you missed out his fucked up fares pledge. give it a year or two and you will be first among the throng howling for the halcyon days of johnson

Chris Beach and sealion like this.
  6. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

7. skyscraper101

I just wish he would get on with introducing the hopper bus ticket already.

8. Bahnhof Strasse

Pickman's model likes this.
  9. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

Same thing.

10. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

I think to be fair to Boris he saw expanding City as having all the problems of Heathrow. It's hardly being the greenest Mayor if you're encouraging more air pollution and noise in an area with a massively expanding population. Look at Canning Town, Woolwich, Abbey Wood, Silvertown, Greenwich peninsula :eek:

sealion likes this.
  11. Bahnhof Strasse

S'not.

12. Bahnhof Strasse

Lot of people live near City Airport now, far more than when it was built and many of those have a few quid and like popping away places, so it's busier than ever. BA is adding loads of routes from there.

13. skyscraper101

Was Boris Island a good idea or not then? I'm assuming there's no chance of it happening any time soon?

14. Pickman's model

never!

15. Pickman's model

with some subtle alterations it might just work...

1) rename ewing island boris island

2) dump boris on boris island

upload_2016-7-27_16-21-4.png

3) joy is unrestrained.

Dan U, Bahnhof Strasse and Badgers like this.
  16. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

I ought to choose my words more carefully, it came out all wrong.:facepalm:

Pickman's model likes this.
  17. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Not in a million years. It'll be Heathrow and there'll be an almighty row.

18. Pickman's model

tbh there'll be an almighty row whatever.

DJWrongspeed and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  19. skyscraper101

With Cameron and Boris officially opposed to it while they had remits concerning the matter, it seems like the plates have shifted in Heathrow's favour now they're no longer there.

20. Sea Star

Sea Star peace and love; peace and love

Last time I checked Wimbledon appeared to be where it's always been, next to Colliers Wood :confused:

21. ffsear

ffsear Well-Known Member

Should be Gatwick really. Will inconvenience the least amount of people. Good connections to London. And Gatwick is already the busiest single runway airport in the world!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  22. Bahnhof Strasse

It will be Heathrow and quite possibly Gatwick too. Our esteemed PM has a good opportunity to do both, in these post-brexit times, privately funded infrastructure projects totalling numerous £billions can only be a good thing etc...

23. Black Halo

Black Halo Well-Known Member

Boris Island was classic BoJo "Don't look over there, look at me all zany and shit".

He didn't want to make a decision or even be seen to favour either Gatwick or Heathrow. He always had one eye on his career post-Mayor and going either way could (not would, just could) have had a negative impact on that life. So when asked "Heathrow or Gatwick" he answered "Third vanity option that has no real likelihood of happening but hey I am Boris amn't I funny, sorry what was the question?"

24. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Theresa May's constituency is Maidenhead and Philip Hammond's is Runneymede, so they should be more against it than the previous lot.

25. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

26. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

27. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

28. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

29. skyscraper101

Can anyone make sense of this? New Hopper bus fare coming on the buses

The press release seems to suggest the new hopper ticket is coming in September:
    but then goes on to say...
    So which is it? September this year? Or 2018?

:confused:

30. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes