Ryanair dredge a new low

Discussion in 'transport' started by editor, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Sparkly cat whisperer

There are a number of reasons why Ryanair isnt my choice. Easyjet isnt usually much more esp when you consider the extra in train fare and time when flying into Stanstead (generally the cheapest option for flights from here to London). I hate Stanstead anyway. Ryanair don't fly into luton from where I live and that's the airport I would use when going to see my family. So yeah Ryanair can get fucked.

I'm flying to London in a few weeks and I don't want to run the risk of my flight being cancelled or have the stress of worrying about it before so I'll book elsewhere even if that means a few euros more. It's worth it for the peace of mind tbh.

pinkmonkey and A380 like this.
  2. pinkmonkey

pinkmonkey 2.4 hour party person

However once you're over there, you may find, like me, that you can barely afford to eat, because of the weak pound. Fortunately I have kind friends and lovely clients. Got taken for a curry tonight and am being taken for a pizza tomorrow. I also want to hug the last guest in this airbnb. There was still fresh food in the fridge.

3. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

4. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

A few years ago I did a price comparison experiment. I'd suspected Ryanair weren't the cheapest, but to avoid cherry picking an argument, I came up with four scenarios with various parameters (family needing full luggage allowance, seated next to each other... through to flexible lone traveller), without first looking at fares.

Then I ran them through Skyscanner, and added the fees for each of the four travel plans.

At that time, Ryanair was only cheapest in one of the four scenarios. Adding them all up, Ryanair worked out 10+% more expensive than the cheapest options. Which included 'full service' airlines.

I might rerun the test again.

5. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

I'm not sure how many full service airlines are left for european flights.

6. harpo

harpo Listening to Radio Jackie

We are stuck in Italy. Thank fuck my nephew is a travel agent and has got us tickets on alitalia. I'm only going to be three days late for work and£300 out of pocket. No chance whatsoever of getting anything like a rebooking out of the ryanair website. O'Leary you cheating little wanker.

7. harpo

The only reason we fly with them anyway is because they go directly to Brindisi where my in laws live. Well never ever again.

8. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

The RYR pilot I used to know reckoned basing yourself in France and masquerading as some sort of entrepreneur was the best tax avoidance racket.

9. Thimble Queen

Before BA stopped doing free drinks on short haul they were often cheaper to Berlin/Hamburg. And the more you drank the cheaper it got :thumbs:

Rutita1, paolo and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  10. pinkmonkey

I reckon it'll be the same. I reckon they are only the cheapest if you book a ticket in a flight sale, or many months in advance, which I cant do. They never come out cheapest for me as Im booking for a specific time, for trade shows, when the flights are already getting full as everyone is travelling to that place at the same time. They seem to be the first to hike up prices in that case. Maybe thats their business model, perhaps they get lots of bookings because people assume they are the cheapest. I mean, didn't O'Leary make a big fuss about being featured on skyscraper/comparison websites? I think he doesnt want the truth to be revealed.

paolo likes this.
  11. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

I still managed to get checked baggage for free on BA on the last Berlin trip (but yeah, paid for drinks).

pinkmonkey and Thimble Queen like this.
  12. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

BA have different pricing structures on short haul which they sell on a first come first serve basis. Its probable that all the 'value saver - hand luggage only' (or whatever they call it) tickets had already been sold so they were offering you the next tier which includes hold luggage.

I believe you can still get free drinks flying BA out of London City because the routes are operated by another airline under the BA flag. I think this is stopping also though.

In fairness to Ryanair they still can be very cheap if you are flexible with your destination or strike lucky. I got a flight to Romania for £20 last year including taxes. That's like a 2.5 hour flight.

What we do have now though is much more competition in the budget market. Other airlines are as cheap and quite frankly better. Ryanair are being squeezed on their sun holiday routes by the likes of Norwegian and Jet2 (Jet2 are surprisingly alright I found out recently) and Wizz are eating into Ryanair's Eastern European routes. That's without all the plethora of other airlines around.

Hopefully this will be the real kick up the arse Ryanair need to sort their shit out, otherwise they can just fuck off.

13. salem

salem Well-Known Member

You should be entitled to some compensation - Ryanair cancellations: What are my rights? - make sure you claim everything you can. This stunt is pretty shocking even by Ryanair's standards.

14. Teaboy

Also something from Martin Lewis on the same site.

Martin Lewis: Your Ryanair rights

He's a bit smug but generally seems to be on the right side with this sort of thing.

BigTom and harpo like this.
  15. pinkmonkey

Yes we got drinks and a snack from BA. I use LCY if I can as its the best. Ive never had a flight from there that didnt include drinks amd a snack. I go to Dublin ocassionally and fly Cityjet from there. My clients in Dublin happily book me from there as they loathe Ryanair as well, both of them are very tall and sitting in a cramped plastic chair is not something they are into. Also being surrounded by stags and hens drinking shots out of plastic bags, whilst listening to noisy adverts is a bit annoying if you're off to work.

16. Teaboy

Yeah City is a great airport to fly from. Its a bit stupid to have an airport there and it should be demolished and used for council / social housing but whilst its there it remains my preference if possible.

17. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

Thought we were going to get fucked over by this, in laws are flying over on Ryanair in a few weeks to visit and also babysit for a few days while we go to Paris, if they'd got cancelled it would mess up our travel plans too and likely we'd get nothing back for it. Fortunately the two flights they booked aren't on the list, but I'm still expecting Ryanair to fuck it up somehow, or just cancel them at a later date.

muscovyduck and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  18. Teaboy

Fingers crossed for you but in any case it seems that your in-laws would be able to get their money back and re-book with another airline and claim the difference from Ryanair. This would seem to be reasonable given the knock on effect a cancellation would have.

The other airlines must be pissing themselves, particularly given how much O'Leary has cunted them off over the years.

19. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

O'Leary yesterday said they wouldn't pay for flying with their competitors.

20. Thimble Queen

My mates got notification that their flight is not on the list of cancelled flights. Also waiting for it to fuck up tbh.

21. Teaboy

O'Leary says a lot of things. Its the law that matters.

Anyway it would just be claiming the difference between the flights (if there is one) because you'd already have the money back from the 1st one.

muscovyduck and BigTom like this.
  22. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

From hearing stuff on radio, I don't think that's his choice, I think they are legally required to pay for hotels, food/drink and alternative travel (if they don't have another suitable flight themselves). He may well be saying that but people should be claiming the costs of flights from other airlines and suing ryanair for it if needed. ianal so don't take my word for it though.

muscovyduck and paolo like this.
  23. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Free the Sepsis Six!

Small claims courts work very much on the idea of fair and reasonable; if you bought a Ryanair ticket to Berlin for £100 and they cancelled at the last minute and your only alternative was BA for £500, then it is fair and reasonable for Ryanair to pay the difference. And if they don't show up at court you win by default.

24. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

Bloody hell, that's shocking! We moaned like fuck after getting to Brindisi nearly three hours late on Saturday with BA, who refused to provide drinks, food or vouchers.

I only knew a bit about this story - sounds terrible.

harpo likes this.
  25. harpo

We have got our refund or an email saying we have, at least. And tbf the weather is good and we have somewhere to stay. Looking a bit better than it did yesterday. I'm still going to be two days down in lost leave though.

oryx likes this.
  26. harpo

But you've just taught us something good. We didn't realise BA flew here. Is it a direct flight?

27. oryx

It is. We also got chatting to a nice couple from Balham yesterday on the bus as we came back from Bari - they came on Easyjet and I'm sure they said they flew into Brindisi.

They had got the flight in the very early morning though.

Are you in or near London? We went from Heathrow direct to Brindisi, Balhamites from Gatwick.

Yeah nice weather and lovely part of the world (we're staying in Ostuni). Our flight back is late so hope we're not coming back from Heathrow at 5am after more BA delays!

BA have plummeted like a stone in my estimation - used to be good.

But...<goes off to read thread properly to see how much worse they could be>

Thimble Queen likes this.
  28. harpo

We live in walthamstow so have just got used to the ryanair from Stansted. My husband's family live in Leverano, in the province of Lecce, and that's where we are now. We come every year. We will definitely be exploring the BA option now, thanks to you! I thought easyJet only went to Bari but maybe not.
    Ostuni is beautiful! Hope you're having a great holiday.

Thimble Queen and oryx like this.
  29. oryx

Cheers Harpo. Ostuni is lovely. Though I read this thread while we had thunderstorms this afternoon!

Now planning to avoid Ryanair for the rest of my life.

harpo likes this.
  30. Thimble Queen

We flew into Bari on Euro Wings... They have a generous luggage allowance of 23kg, which is nice. No idea if that service operates from London though :)

harpo likes this.