Ryanair dredge a new low

Discussion in 'transport' started by editor, Jul 26, 2010.

1. salem

salem Well-Known Member

tbh while I'd prefer a window seat to a middle seat, it doesn't bother me that much and if the people who chose to pay for a window seat help subsidise my middle seat a little then I'm in support of the policy.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  2. 2hats

2hats

I think the key takeaway is that the analysis indicates that the random seat allocation is demonstrably not random (something most people suspected anecdotally anyway). RYR would appear to be playing with it to milk it to their financial advantage and to the detriment of groups of family/friends who would clearly benefit (socially/practically/etc) from being together (if flying on one’s own then obviously it’s not that big a deal).

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    salem likes this.
  3. ffsear

ffsear Well-Known Member

Wankers... Me and my girlfriend on the same booking and this is where they put us... And i bought priority boarding thinking it would let us choose seats together.

[​IMG]

4. Why didn't you pay for priority seating? That gives you allocated seats as well as priority boarding...

5. ffsear

ffsear Well-Known Member

Because fuck them! They quite clearly could of sat us together. The back of the plane was empty also..

(ended up paying for 2 seats together.)

ska invita likes this.
  6. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

Yeah. Its not the seat they allocate you that's the problem its the fact they are deliberately splitting up groups. It caused a security issue and delay on my flight home recently (the flight I was moaning about last page). Old British woman was sat next to somebody of non-European origin, somehow she found out that chap had a bag with him that wasn't his but his partner, his partner was elsewhere on the plane apparently. Woman freaks out, cabin crew get involved and bloke has to parade up and down the plane so he can point out his partner is on the plane.

We then taxi to runway and get told to clear the runway as we've missed our slot. We return to gate for 15 minutes plus taxiing time. Net result we're about an hour late on arrival. Cheers Ryanair, what a fantastic policy. I've flown with them several times a year for best part of 18 years but I've had it with them over this one. I won't be flying again until they fix this deliberately nasty policy.

ska invita and muscovyduck like this.
  7. ffsear

ffsear Well-Known Member

Hopefully the extra fuel costs/ airport charges will have wiped out any profit Ryan Air made off that fight.

muscovyduck and BigTom like this.
  8. Dogsauce

Dogsauce Lord of the Dance Settee

They've tried to do this with us, flying with a one year old that needs the energy of two parents to distract/pacify. Fucked them off for another airline that was barely any more money (booked well in advance).

9. 2hats

2hats

Sitting on an RYR flight 24 rows from other member of my party. Such a separation that I enter by the rear door, them the front, except I have both electronic boarding passes on my phone. Doesn't really help their turnaround times if one of us has to run the length of the plane against half the flow of boarding passengers.

muscovyduck and pseudonarcissus like this.
  10. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

I've found that most of the cheap airlines don't bother checking my boarding pass as I get on the plane anymore. Just at the gate.

11. 2hats

2hats

That probably depends on whether you walk down a dedicated bridge direct to the plane or walk /get bussed there.

12. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

We just asked other passengers to swap when this happened to us. Lots of people were doing it. Everyone was co-operating. People have the power to defeat the system!

13. Teaboy

It must be pretty chaotic I would have thought with all those people shifting seats?

14. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

surprisingly just out on the tarmac...

15. Hmm, some evidence of what they are up to. Just bought two tickets with priority seating, the middle seats are not available for pre-selection whilst the aisle and windows are. Either a lot of people have chosen middle seats or been 'randomly' allocated them...or Ryanair just holds the aisle and windows back for folk who pay, but for some reason won't admit it...

FR SEAT.JPG

16. Teaboy

Yeah, I wonder which one it could be. I won't be flying with them again unless I have little choice.

17. I really can't work out why they don't just come out with it though, they are up-front about other charges..?

18. 2hats

2hats

Surely not surprising that they have more 'value'/are favoured? (Views+less chance of being disturbed, leg room+ease of going walkabout and to the loo+aspiration to get off sooner).

19. Lambert Simnel

Lambert Simnel Banned Banned

"Customers who do not wish to select and purchase their preferred allocated seat, can check-in online between 4 days up to 2 hours before each booked flight and will be randomly allocated a seat free of charge."

20. Of course not, but they repeatedly deny that the aisle or windows are held back for folk who pay, why do they keep telling porkies about that?

21. ffsear

ffsear Well-Known Member

I've asked them; why would you use "random allocation" for people on the same booking.. They had no answer

22. 2hats

2hats

I suspect they are telling half truths. It probably varies with route and time of year according to some model of theirs. I just did three RYR flights and the pair of us got allocated middle seats on flights 1+3, windows on flight 2 (shortest, probably less popular leg). Though on flight 3 the window seat next to me was empty (flight was otherwise full or almost full). Of course I've no idea if that was a no show.

23. Teaboy

Its the worse. Even worse than the old fashioned scrum because unless you were really late you'd always get to sit together.

24. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

I think with most of the others it's at least clear you're getting something for your money. People might prefer to have food and drinks included for example but at least when you buy a drink onboard you get a drink. Even with something like baggage charges you can see there is a cost in baggage handling so if you check a bag the charge makes sense to people. People get it even if they don't like it. 'Pay us money to stop fucking you around' doesn't work quite the same way I don't think.

Thimble Queen and salem like this.
  25. People are happy to pay £20 for front row seats, £15 for first five or so rows, so why not £5 to ensure you are not stuck in the middle or split up? There is value there. The thing that seems to get people's goats is it seems the 'random' selection punitively splits groups up.

26. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

That's it though isn't it - the value is created by them splitting people up. It's not due a shortage of seats (like on the front row), or costs to the airline, it's just them deliberately making it unpleasant. If they sent the cabin crew round to poke you with a stick every five minutes there'd be value in getting them to stop...

ska invita and muscovyduck like this.
  27. Don't give them ideas.

28. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

I did joke recently to a travel companion, that (on another airline) I'd paid extra not to be punched in the face.

Definite value.

Another one could be: £20 extra to not have to dress up as Jimmy Saville.

29. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Just found out from friends I can't check my bag in when I fly with these cunts in a few weeks time. Well I can but it'll cost top dollar. What a fucking joke, I'll need to pay or buy a smaller bag I can use as carry-on. Bunch of joker's. Never again.