Ryanair dredge a new low

Discussion in 'transport' started by editor, Jul 26, 2010.

1. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

2. pseudonarcissus

pseudonarcissus fluttering and dancing

I'm not a fan of RyanAir, but hats off to their generally impeccable service...7 years between complaints on this thread!

3. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

Yeah, that's its fairly near to each other but still not next to each other. If there are two of you they put one person in the row in front. Its a clear thought out policy. You're right about just asking people to switch but its kind of the last thing you want is loads of people moving seats during the boarding process.

smee and Pickman's model like this.
  4. Teaboy

You may think differently if you ever get one.

5. Teaboy

Oh trust me there are loads of complaints I just chose this thread because I liked the title. Check out the search function.

Pickman's model likes this.
  6. PaoloSanchez

PaoloSanchez Well-Known Member

Cue Fascinating Aida (wouldn't be surprised if this was already posted)...

tbf, I've flown many times with both RyanAir and Easyjet (and Go), and I've don't recall having problems with Ryanair. The old "sit wherever you like" boarding procedure with Easyjet was a bit naff, but they've been rid of that for a while.

7. Teaboy

Me too. Never really had any problem until now. New policy and all that.

8. This was on Watchdog last week.

And I'm no fanboy for Ryanair, but...

If you pay to allocate a seat you choose window or aisle, not middle. You can pay to allocate a seat right up until check in closes. Therefore it makes sense for Ryanair to keep as large a stock of aisle and window seats free as possible. To do this they allocate middle seats to those not paying for an allocation. Of course this means groups have to be split up.

That's how I read it.

Ryanair flatly denies it and claims it is coincidence that all people who don't pay get middle seats. So it's good to know they are still bullshitting bastards :thumbs:

9. Teaboy

Oh I get it from a business sense. But its a clear change in policy which unlike a lot of their other crap you only find out after you've paid for it. Its extortion really. Its just another short lived scam that they'll have to change in the future.

10. Teaboy

I wonder if they will split kids up from their parents? Not if you pay extra of course ;)

11. Probably. The only time I ever flew with them was sat next to an 11 year old who'd been split up from his parents. This was a good 15 years ago though. Would rather walk than schlep to Stansted to enjoy the delights of Ryanair, tbf.

12. Teaboy

Yeah this is the final straw with me. Parking at Stansted is way more expensive than Luton or Gatwick as well. Problem occurs when they are the only flight option though.

13. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

the parents might have paid to seat the kid away from them

14. Could be, BA has specific policies for parents who book themselves in first or business and their kids in economy. Kids as young as 5 can be sat in a different class to their parents. Seems to me like a really shitty way to behave.

15. Teaboy

Quite right too. They should count themselves lucky they're not in the hold with the rest of the luggage.

16. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

I speak from much experience.
    Especially the one ex who loved to travel... aside from the actual travel part which she detested.
    Of course everything is your fault regardless of whether you've had anything to do with it.
    They say many relationships end due to holiday stresses. I can testify to one.

A380 likes this.
  17. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Parking at Stansted is ridiculous. Earlier this year I bought a round-trip to Norway leaving one morning and coming back the next day. I also bought an extra ticket for a later flight in case the first flight was cancelled. The total was less than the overnight parking cost.

A380 likes this.
  18. Heh, mine flew in Club World whilst I went economy not so long ago.

Fucking bliss, beer and a paper and no irksome kids to spoil my peace and quiet :thumbs:

Pickman's model and A380 like this.
  19. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Space/time supply indicators near to zero

I think Commericial flights have to ensure they are both balanced in terms of weight/ bodies and optimised in locations inside for fuel efficiency obviously - I am sure DownwardDog can confirm this. there may be reason other than being difficult that RA seem to make of meal of the seating process - or maybe splitting up Stags is a preventative measure just to reduce the risk of mid air stag based twattery.

I have been on planes full of utter arseholes that are righteously deserving of a serious shoeing by badly dressed underpaid brutalised teenage cops upon arrival in the former E-blok

A380 likes this.
  20. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Sure they do, but that's not why this is happening. Strikes me that Ryanair have a policy of pushing things and purposely piss-taking, treating their customers as an ongoing experiment wrt what they can get away with. Loads of stink about a thing and they'll get rid of it, but they're also pioneers in stuff like paying to choose a seat, which even the likes of Emirates have taken up.

A380 likes this.
  21. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

For purposes of fuel economy you want the a/c as close to neutral trim as possible but passenger seating resolves itself as, if the a/c is full or nearly full then everyone is evenly distributed anyway and if it's nearly empty then the weight of the pax isn't significant. I imagine the RY software distributes passengers on a partially loaded flight partly for L&B, partly for safety and it probably makes the cabin "service" easier.

muscovyduck, A380 and not-bono-ever like this.
  22. gosub

gosub ~#

yep.

never really got that worked up about L&B more about what the wind does to the fuel load and adjust from there.

A380 likes this.
  23. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

24. 2hats

2hats

My understanding is keeping the turn around times down, as well as optimising fuel efficiency, drives it. They tend (try) to only load the front holds with baggage (quicker to unload on their 737’s) so will tend to block off front seats on passenger light flights to get back in trim. If pax numbers are low enough (admittedly rare on FR) they’ll tend to push them towards the wing box (==CG). I read that they have some simple hard rules (drawn up by Boeing) to minimise the calculations (and hence, supposedly, avoid turn around time complications). Of course, none of that precludes their seating software being written to purposefully try to fragment group bookings(*).

* I recall a few years back BMI Baby randomly allocating seats when you booked on their website. However I noticed (by accident) at the stage of automatic seat allocation during the purchase of the ticket you could just reload that page in a web browser and it would allocate the next seat along. I used to repeatedly reload and drive the seat to roughly where I wanted it (window/aisle/group people together). ;)

muscovyduck, Pickman's model and A380 like this.
  25. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

They're the shittiest of airlines, really. I'd pay extra not to fly with them.

The last time I did fly with them, there was an "online checking in charge" like this was some kind of privilege. Motherfuckers.

26. 2hats

2hats

That’s for checking in early. Leave on line check-in till 4 days prior to the flight and it is surcharge free (though leave it to 2 hours before the flight and you’ll be charged again); supposedly to improve choice for those that want to pay to select a seat (ho, ho, ho). So that means setting a reminder to check-in using the app at the right time prior to the flight (outbound and inbound) though it’s potentially a pain in the rear at those airports (on the return leg) that still won’t accept a mobile phone app based ticket.

Pickman's model and A380 like this.
  27. A380

A380 How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?

28. 2hats

2hats

Ryanair “random” seating allocation not so random confirms statistician.

29. Issued a Ryanair boarding pass this morning with random seating, was a window:

FR111.JPG

:hmm:

30. Doesn't mention if this Dr Rogers has taken in to account that most of the aisle and window seats will have already been snapped up by those who are willing to pay? And also that Ryanair are bullshitting twonks who should just come out and say that if you don't pay you stand a very good chance of getting a middle seat as we hold back the better ones for those willing to give us some money?