Ryan Giggs set to be named Wales manager

Discussion in 'football' started by editor, Jan 15, 2018.

1. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

If that was the case we'd have bin men applying for jobs as managers of football clubs!:facepalm:

2. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

If they’ve done their coaching and managerial badges why not. But they’d start with a small club, larger club, club success and then national team.

It seems to me that only the FAW employs someone to be the CEO of a multinational corporation because they were once an exceptional purchase ledger clerk.

3. mod

mod A modernist

Maybe. But they'd have done their football coaching badges.

Roy Hodgson only played non-league lever. José Mourinho wasn't a pro either.

4. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Trying to think of the great players who became great managers. There aren't many. Cruyff. Beckenbauer.

squirrelp likes this.
  5. TruXta

TruXta tired

Pep.

6. sealion

sealion Well-Known Member

With the amount of money they can earn as players, i doubt there's much incentive to go into managment afterwards.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  7. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Yep him too.

Fair to say, I think, that great players can make great managers, but that having been a great player isn't much of an indicator as to how good a manager you'll be. I that sense, I'm with Ed - let's wait and see.

8. editor

editor hiraethified

Some great players have made great managers. Most don't. Things have changed since back in the day though as there's now qualifications to be had that should, in theory, at least give the newbie manager some clue. Giggs might be brilliant. He might be terrible. I'm prepared to give him a chance.

1927 likes this.
  9. 1927

Seeing as we find gzve a general welsh football thread thought I’d post this here.

Attached Files:

meurig, bromley and ddraig like this.
  10. editor

editor hiraethified

Ryan Giggs and Wales friendlies: What are the actual statistics

11. Threshers_Flail

Threshers_Flail Well-Known Member

12. 1927

He carried on playing until he was 40 by looking after himself. Bale on the other hand is 28 and fucked!
    would it really have made any difference if he had played friendlies!

Bale has played 28 minutes of our last 9 friendlies, so he isn't doing too fucking well either is he?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    sealion likes this.
  13. sealion

sealion Well-Known Member

The big clubs have always done this with there star palyers. The only reason Rooney and Beckham played in friendlies was because of contractual agreements with umbro/ nike and England. It's the reason Rooney was still being picked in the euros. No manager wants there players playing for anyone other than his club. As 1927 states above, Giggs exteneded his career because he managed to avoid nothing games and pointless air miles.

14. Threshers_Flail

No unfortunately he isn't but Bale's been missing a lot of Real's matches as well. You won't find many people claiming he's put Wales over Real Madrid.

Anyway, my main gripe isn't that Giggs missed some friendlies as a player, or who he's shagged. What's annoyed me is that he's appeared to have got the job because of the FAW bigwigs fawning over him, rather than him having enough experience as a manager.

15. 1927

But Bellamy hasn't any managerial experience either. Mark Hughes had no experience. Speed had 18 games at Sheff Utd!

sealion likes this.
  16. Threshers_Flail

I know, I wouldn't have given the job to Bellers either, as much as I loved him as a player. And yh Sparky also came good, I would just like us to try and nab someone with a bit of experience, we deserve better than just being a stepping stone.

I'd happily eat my hat if proved wrong though.

sealion likes this.
  17. squirrelp

squirrelp Banned Banned

Clough

18. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

Anyone watching the China game?

I say game but it isn't much of one - Wales four up at half time, China an embarrassment.

Pickman's model likes this.
  19. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

0-6

A shameful scoreline for a country that invented the game we all know and love.

imposs1904 likes this.
  20. editor

editor hiraethified

GIGGS OUT.

Oh no wait. We're six up already? Pretty amazing result so far.

21. 1927

I think it’s expected that Bale would be feted by the Chinese fans, but there seems to be something of a Chris Gunter love in strangely!

22. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

And to think it was only in June that China beat the Philipines 8-1

Threshers_Flail likes this.
  23. imposs1904

imposs1904 Thread Killa'

Dalglish?

24. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Ruined it after suarez.

25. HELVETICVS

HELVETICVS ILLE QVI PVLSAT SVM

OTOH,
    Arrigo Sacchi, Alex Ferguson, Sven Goran Eriksson [I'm thinking Lazio & Benfica here] and a huge list of others who had very little success as players, or whose playing career was cut short by injury, but whom all went on to excellent records as Club Managers.

The list is even more extensive when you consider pre-WWII managers, who pretty much invented everything about the game you watch today.

Whereas there's an absolutely massive [and seemingly never-ending] list of successful players who were terrible, terrible managers.
    And badges count for fuck all, they're a pre-requisite for entering the top tiers of management these days.

Chapman's W-M formation, Catenaccio, Verrou [Swiss Bolt] - none of those innovators were continent-dominating players, but rather people whose playing careers were footnotes.
    Fuck me, Chapman started off at Kiveton Park and scarcely even played for Sheffield United, back in the days when they actually won things [86 years and counting, boys!].

To quote Sacchi,
    "non è necessario essere un cavallo per essere un fantino"
    "One does not need to have been a horse, in order to be a jockey"

In conclusion, Giggs has gotten the appointment on the basis of his name and with a complete lack of experience whereby few others in the same circumstances would have been looked at. And Bellamy? FFS, I dread to think what his man-management skills are, or rather the complete lack of them.

Best of luck, my boy - at least we're still more successful than the Saesneg have been during an entire 'Biblical Generation'...
    England, Professional Football's LOLCow for 52 years and counting...

26. Threshers_Flail

I'm starting to think that Giggsy isn't up to it.

27. Proper Tidy

Proper Tidy Arsed

Get rid, bag of shit, cookie back and little flynnie back on u21s

28. Threshers_Flail

Yep - they'll stick with though, wasting final years of Bale and Ramsey.

agricola and editor like this.
  29. Plumdaff

Plumdaff joy in people

You'd think a Giggs team would at least play some spirited pacy attacking football.

You'd think.

30. editor

editor hiraethified

Well at least we won. Just. Against a shit team.