Ryan Giggs set to be named Wales manager

Discussion in 'football' started by editor, Jan 15, 2018.

1. editor

editor hiraethified

2. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

I presume he’ll only manage glamour matches and will be sick for friendlies and non qualifying matches.
    Who manages those matches in his absence?

bendeus, mod, steveo87 and 5 others like this.
  3. Dandred

Dandred Mmmmm Beer!

Whose wife is he going to fuck next? One of the player's?

Ax^ and Pickman's model like this.
  4. Ponyutd

Ponyutd Greebo likes this....r.i.p.

Ryan Giggs has lived in England for quite a while but every so often he does MISS Wales.

5. S☼I

S☼I walk the water like a sun

Wales should be delighted to capture a manager of such pedigree and experience.

1927 and Fez909 like this.
  6. Ponyutd

Wales have just announced their next manager.
    He's a unnamed Premiership* footballer.

*ex.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  7. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam.

It's just been announced that he is to miss this morning's press conference due to injury.

imposs1904, planetgeli and Ponyutd like this.
  8. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

Groin strain?

mwgdrwg likes this.
  9. The Octagon

The Octagon Stop...Hammertime

Quite the list of heavy hitters he beat out for the job there.

10. Gromit

Clayton Blackmore has done an interview saying blame Alex Fudgerson.
    I don’t blame him, he did what was in his best interests which is what football managers do.
    I blame Ryan for not standing up to him and saying no boss I feel strongly about this don’t stand in my way or else. He would have relented.

11. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam.

Alex Ferguson relented, yeah as if!

12. Gromit

Yep. You sulk and sulk, play dreadful in training, play dreadful in matches and say don’t know what’s wrong gaffer, I thought I’d be only a little disappointed at missing the Welsh match but my spirit seems crushed. Hope this doesn’t happen next time I miss one.

13. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

It’s a lot easier for keyboard warriors to trot out jokes about who’s going to manage friendlies and shagging players wives than it is to have a cartier like Giggs did.

Put all the jokes to one side and we’ve got ourselves someone as a manager who has pretty much done everything you can do in the domestic game!

We didn’t want Speed, we scoffed at the idea of Coleman. Everyone needs to grow up and get behind him. He’s not the guy I wanted, but it’s done now. If he wins games and we qualify for next euros he’ll be a legend!

sealion and editor like this.
  14. editor

editor hiraethified

Yeah, what did ever Ryan Giggs achieve in football?

Oh, wait...

Club
    Manchester United
    Individual

15. editor

editor hiraethified

And...

Records

• Most decorated player in football history with 34 trophies
    • Has won a record 13 top division English league titles as a player, and only Manchester United player to have winner's medals from all 13 Premier League title wins.
    • Most Premier League appearances for a player, with 632[168] (since surpassed by Gareth Barry).
    • Most Premier League assists for a player, with 162.[168]
    • Most UEFA Champions League assists for a player, with 30; tied with Cristiano Ronaldo
    • Only player to have played in 22 successive Premier League seasons.
    • Only player to have scored in 21 successive Premier League seasons.
    • Only player to have scored in 17 different Champions League tournaments (includes 11 consecutive tournaments, 1996–97 to 2006–07; only Raúl has a better record with 14)
    • Most goals by a British player in the Champions League/European Cup proper history, and 14th overall (not including preliminary rounds).[169]
    • Most appearances by a Manchester United player.
    • Most starts by a Manchester United player, started in 794 games.
    • First player to score 100 Premier League goals for Manchester United.
    • Second midfielder to have scored 100 goals in the Premier League for a single club (first being Matt Le Tissier).
    • One of four Manchester United players to win two Champions League Medals (others are Paul Scholes, Gary Neville and Wes Brown).
    • Oldest (37 years, 289 days) player to score in the Champions League, when he scored against Benfica on 14 September 2011.[87]
    • One of two Manchester United Players to win at least 10 Top division medals (the other one is Paul Scholes.)
    • Oldest (38 years, 243 days) player to score in the Football competition at the Summer Olympics, when he scored against United Arab Emirates on 29 July 2012.

Yep. he knows NOTHING.

16. The Octagon

Except manage :D

S☼I and The39thStep like this.
  17. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

I think as assistant at Man U he probably knows as much if not more than the others in the frame!

18. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

I'm not sure how much difference international managers make, tbh. Less than club managers, for sure. They can't work that much with players and the style of play is more or less dictated to them by the players they have available.

19. The Octagon

All joking aside, I think this is true to a certain extent.

International managers basically need to be good motivators with a solid game-plan centred around their team's strengths (with the ability to adapt if the match situation changes, go 1-0 down early, etc).

20. TruXta

TruXta tired

Gary Neville had a similar record as a player, it's not like it did him any good when managing.

S☼I likes this.
  21. editor

editor hiraethified

How about we wait and see what he does before slagging him off?

22. TruXta

TruXta tired

Sure, I'm just pointing out that there's no evidence that good players make good managers.

23. editor

editor hiraethified

I don't think anyone is asserting that, but it is worth pointing out that a player who has played at the very highest level for his entire career is certainly going to have something of a clue, and the all-important respect of his players.

24. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

Ive got big doubts simply because of not only his lack of experience as a manager but his reluctance to try his hand at lower league management . Presumably the interview board must have examined this and been satisfied with his response.

25. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

Didn't work for Alan Ball at Man City

26. editor

editor hiraethified

Again, I don't think anyone is making blanket statements here so there's not much point throwing our random examples from the past.
    Giggs is a very well respected player in Wales, so that will, at least, give him a good start. He may well turn out to be shit, but I'd rather wait before making that judgement.

27. Ponyutd

You missed this out.
    Not sure what he won playing for England in this photo.
    [​IMG]

28. editor

editor hiraethified

It's not time for the old Giggs could have played for England chestnut, is it?

29. Ponyutd

No, not really. He never could have. Born in Wales, Welsh parents.
    Only at schoolboy level. Do find it a bit odd though. Had scots play for England as well.

30. Gromit

Chris Coleman Management experience before Wales:
    2003–2007 Fulham
    2007–2008 Real Sociedad
    2008–2010 Coventry City
    2011–2012 AEL

Ryan Giggs Management experience before Wales:

Does this appointment speak to me of ambition?
    We made it to the semi finals of the Euros.
    Chris asked the FaW to invest more in the team. He left because they didn’t.

Where did all the Euros money go?
    I can’t help but feel this is a backwards, unambiguous, money saving decision and it will be another 40 years before we see us qualify for another major competition.