Ruskin Park: lesser known south London park

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Apr 12, 2007.

1. mrchristopher

mrchristopher Well-Known Member

brixtonblade likes this.
  2. mrchristopher

Also, we are no longer charging for membership of Friends of Ruskin Park. This is because we want to encourage as many people as possible to take part in our activities, without any financial barrier. Of course we still need donations for our running costs and things like the paddling pool and other improvements we want to fund in the park, but giving time is as important as giving money. If anyone would like to join you can do so at www.friendsofruskinpark.org.uk/join

Thanks
    Chris

editor, teuchter and brixtonblade like this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

4. Lizzy Mac

Lizzy Mac Well-Known Member

editor likes this.
  5. xsunnysuex

xsunnysuex Life is a horizontal fall.

editor likes this.
  6. Andy Forbes

Andy Forbes Member

Dear all,

We will be ploughing up an area of the park in order to sow tall heritage wheat with shire horses, Heath and Nobby and ploughman Tom Nixon from Operation Centaur tomorrow morning, Friday starting around 11:30am. The wheat area is up the hill from the bandstand along the Ferndene Road side.

yours
    Andy Forbes
    Secretary Brockwell Bake Association

Gramsci likes this.
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've got a post going up on Buzz tomorrow and have changed the times from the original press release. Hope it goes well!

8. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

This is about to be on BBC London news!

editor likes this.
  9. mrchristopher

Hi everyone

After two years of successfully running the paddling pool in Ruskin Park with the help of volunteers and a local business sponsor, we have a gap in funding again and need to raise at least £5,000 to cover costs in 2018 and 2019.

Obviously this isn't an ideal long term solution, but if anyone is able to donate we have a Crowdfunder at www.crowdfunder.co.uk/ruskin-park-paddling-pool

Volunteers will be gathering for a campaign photo by the paddling pool (and our new mural on a neighbouring house) this Sunday at 11am if anyone wants to come along! We will do a big push after that on social media, etc.

Thanks

Chris
    Friends of Ruskin Park

snowy_again likes this.
  10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

12. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

I have seen that squirrel

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

14. Harbourite

Harbourite Eggnog

Great to see the paddling pool packed out with families all weekend

Northway Road entrance to the park is closest to the paddling pool
    Parking restrictions 12-2 weekdays (not weekends or bank holidays)
    Always busy with visiting families parking there
    Parking restrictions currently in place for 'utilities work' - just outside the entrance (yellow signs on lampposts)
    No sign of 'utilities work' going on today - why should there be? It's a bank holiday

However, busy day for a Lambeth 'traffic enforcement officer' lurking around Northway and whacking out the tickets
    All on cars of visiting families

I remonstrated as politely as my temper would allow - 'officer' informed me that 'restrictions apply and are in force' and gave me a shrug to say 'i don't make the rules' ... but bet it helped hit targets for 'ticket distribution'

So a bunch of families who've visited for a great afternoon out at a facility Lambeth don't want to pay for are greeted by a parking ticket and fine that will go to Lambeth

Nothing on any of the yellow signs to say restrictions apply on weekends and bank holidays - so it's unclear

Fucking fucking wankers you are Lambeth. Shame on you.

editor, Guineveretoo and Maggot like this.
  15. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Why are people driving their cars to go to the park in zone 2 london?

Some permanent parking restrictions would be good.

ChrisSouth, alcopop and CH1 like this.
  16. ChrisSouth

ChrisSouth Well-Known Member

If parking is suspended, then parking is suspended whether it's a bank holiday or not.

I'm also note sure why people need to drive to park at a park, when it's well served by trains, buses and in the case of Ruskin park, it's on a walking route.

editor likes this.
  17. Harbourite

Harbourite Eggnog

I guess until you ban cars in zone 2 london, people are going to use them - for 'justifiable' reasons or otherwise

perhaps mobility issues means that trains, buses and walking routes aren't options

18. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

I'd be very happy to see cars banned in zone 2 London.

For the time being parking restrictions are as good as we'll get.

There are already concessions for people with mobility issues.

ChrisSouth and footballerslegs like this.
  19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

((My thread about lovely Ruskin Park)))

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus