Ruskin Park: lesser known south London park

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Apr 12, 2007.

1. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

My favourite park, me and the littlun go there every week to play on the pirate ship, feed the ducks, eat ice cream and chase the mutant squirrels.
    Picnic yes.

2. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

Picnic is a great idea, who's gonna organise it?

Do you mean the portico in Ed's report?

3. Skim

Skim has retired

Yes, portico is a much better description :D

Well, I'm happy to organise it. Sometime next month, maybe a Saturday afternoon? All depending on the weather, of course.

4. Maggot

Cool!

If you can avoid 19th May (FA Cup Final) and the 26th (away in Devon) that would be great.

5. Skim

Skim has retired

Maybe Saturday 12th... hopefully it won't clash with anything else.

Ok, I'll do a thread and see if there's any interest... :)

6. anthonywatts

anthonywatts New Member

A hidden treasure

Oh it is one of my favs too! It is hard to keep it a secret...

Anthony,
    Concierge for (...editor: no ads please).

7. Maggot

What was he advertising?

8. Shippou-Sensei

Shippou-Sensei 4:1:2.5

9. Pip

Pip Well-Known Member

Young squirrels.

This was MY park when I was little :cool:

Dexter Deadwood likes this.
  10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

12. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

Did a bat walk there last autumn. Lambeth organise it for free. really good and they give the kids bat detectors to play with. We saw bats :cool:

Manter likes this.
  13. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Was that with the Bat Conservation Trust? I was talking to them recently and they told me they were doing some in Brockwell Park.

14. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

Having bumped into a couple of walks I'm now booked on one. Can't remember when...

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Maggot likes this.
  16. Maggot

I saw the Dulwich ukeleles there a couple of years ago. Glad they've restored the bandstand - it was sealed off when I lived round there in the 90s.

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

autumn-ruskin-park-9.jpg

The free summer concerts in the Ruskin Park bandstand are starting to wind down, with only the Bromley Concert Band playing on the 13th Sept and the Incredible Sax Band on the 20th, both at 3pm.

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

22. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

I went for a wander round Ruskin Park and Myatts fields last weekend. Theyre both lovely now and it was great to see them getting so much use - all the sports courts in use, kids in the play bits and the pools, cafes open. Really pleased theyre in such good shape. Hopefully the consultation on parks wont knacker them...

Does anyone know what's happening with the strange structure on the Denmark Hill side of Ruskin Park? Looks like some sort of folly but isn't in good condition currently... about the only but in the park that isnt which is why it stands out a bit.

23. Maurice Picarda

Maurice Picarda Actually, might as well flounce.

Had no idea there was a Ruskin Park; it must be a job to keep the topiary properly trimmed.

Maggot likes this.
  24. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Foot's on the other hand

The Kooks aren't fans. Did a song about it and everything.

25. goldengraham

goldengraham Well-Known Member

Does anyone know of the circumstances behind the tree that appears to be a memorial (with many coloured ribbons attached), that sits in the southern part of the park towards Ferndene Road? I'm guessing it is not a happy story but it is not clear just by examining it, and I have never been able to find any reference to it online

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

27. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

Greebo and editor like this.
  28. Harbourite

Harbourite Eggnog

Despite local protest, Lambeth council has decided to stop funding the paddling pool in Ruskin Park. It costs £35k a year to run and maintain. The Friends of Ruskin Park are working out what can be done as well as starting a campaign to save the pool. At moment, it is uncertain whether it will open this summer.

Not as high profile or as significant as the library situation - and there is an argument that £35k spent should be spent on more deserving matters. But a lot of local kids from all around LJ, HH and Camberwell use the pool in the summer.

Greebo and editor like this.
  29. Lizzy Mac

Lizzy Mac Well-Known Member

I used to run in the park in the mornings when the pool was being swept and then filled. They pressure wash it now and again, maybe once or twice a year. I struggle to see how it costs £35k a year when this is done for just a few months in the summer. It's such a well used facility, this is such a shame.

Greebo likes this.
  30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus